So here is the deal, I went out shooting the Mosin today with a buddy. I felt the need to post this here because I think it goes along with the accidental disharce thread. I chose not to post in that thread because I have some questions to ask as to why this happend, and how to fix it.

So here is how it went down.

Im shooting at a bowling ball 021.gif yep Im redneck. Isnt my first time shooting this gun, prolly have about 100 rounds threw it with no problems until today. So I shoot the bowling ball 027.gif awesome! we laugh blew it all to hell. I go to rack another round, pull the bolt back eject, push the bolt forward and BANG!!! 009.gif holy shit! are you ok? my buddy yells. Im still kinda shocked look around, Im like ya wtf my finger was nowhere near the trigger. Honestly I was kinda shaken, never had this happen and couldnt help but think how lucky I was the bolt didnt blow back and hit me, guess I snaped it down just in time.

So needless to say I empy the mag and begin checking the bolt, rackin it back and forth and notice that every 2-3 times the firing ping in dropping and I snap down the bolt. Anyone who knows a bolt action knows how this works, I just dont understand what would make this happen.

I took the down and inspected everything make sure nothing is broker or worn a substantial amount, notice nothing wrong.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this in a mosin, or how to fix it?

Needless to say years of drilling safe gun handling into my head and everyone around me saved any injury. Folks allways keep your firearms pointed in a safe direction! at all times! I never expected to have this happen to me but Im glad I never let my gaurd down and act as if it could.000.gif

Ill get some picks of the bowling ball and some 12ince or so pine tree shots.wink.gif

• Like 1

Sounds like you bolt had the pin already out of the body and hit the primer upon chambering. Have you ever disassembled the bolt before to clean it? If not maybe you got some left over cosmoline left in it that could have made it (the firing pin) protrude.

what you experience is a "slam fire". did you check the firing pin protrusion with the gage? the pin is protuding out too far out, and is not completely retracted into the bolt when you unlock it. it doesn't take much protrusion to set the primer off. anytime you take apart the bolt, and put it back together you have to check that pin protrusion. you can't go by the line on the back of the bolt, and call it good.

the other possibility is that you have dried cosomoline or crude in the firing pin channel or in the spring, that is causing the pin to stick out. insead of retracting back into the bolt when you unlock it. every M-N I own was caked in cosmoline in the firing pin channel and the spring was slatered in it. a good scrubbing with solvent is needed to get that stuff out.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Srsly did anyone read my post?

I tested it many times after this happend. When I rack the bolt back to chamber a round and rack it forward the bolt is not staying cocked. When I rack it forward and down to lock it into position the firing pin is snapping forward without the pull of the trigger.

• Like 1

I tested it many times after this happend. When I rack the bolt back to chamber a round and rack it forward the bolt is not staying cocked. When I rack it forward and down to lock it into position the firing pin is snapping forward without the pull of the trigger.

I read your post, that is why I said to check the trigger and trigger spring.

I read your post, that is why I said to check the trigger and trigger spring.

SOrry I must have scrolled right past you banshee.

Just to clarify too. I have taken the bolt and everything totally apart and cleaned it previous to the time shooting it. Everythign is nicely oiled, and no cosmoline is anywhere to be seen.

Any chance that just too mush oiling couldbe causing slipping?

Check your sear engagement. If you keep the trigger pulled back as you shut the bolt, the cocking piece and firing pin never get held back. With very slight sear engagement, the cocking piece can slip off the sear AS you are closing the bolt and fly forwards with enough force to fire the gun.

Check for junk in the trigger, or a misshapen sear spring.

+1 on worn or broken sear spring, or 60 years of gunk screwing up the sear engagement. I have a MN that I very carefully cleaned, as I do all milsurps. This one would lock the bolt closed after each shot. Sometimes requiring beating the bolt open. A careful examination with a big magnifying glass showed something a bit hinky with one the bolt recesses. Digging there with a dental pick, I pulled out a whole cleaning patch of some ancient rough cloth, saturated with cosmoline and powder residue until it almost perfectly matched the steel!

I absolutely agree with the last 2 posts. The trigger mechanism could be gunked up w/ cosomolene. You can heat the stock in the oven or with near boiling water to help get it all out (then dry thoroughly). If you have mis-matched receiver and bolt numbers there may be mechanical interference between the sear and the firing pin not allowing the sear to rise fully.

This can be crazy dangerous even if it doesn't fire as soon as closed. A good sneeze or bump could set it off. Be careful.