DSA para carbine or kel tec rfb

ok just want some feedback on these 2 rifles. looking for a general shtf rifle please dont say saiga 308. i have narrowed it down to these 2 rifles. i just cant decide thats where you all come in. any negatives to either of them. the kel tec is pretty new but i have heard nothing but good about them. same goes for the dsa

ok just want some feedback on these 2 rifles. looking for a general shtf rifle please dont say saiga 308. i have narrowed it down to these 2 rifles. i just cant decide thats where you all come in. any negatives to either of them. the kel tec is pretty new but i have heard nothing but good about them. same goes for the dsa

If's its for shtf I would say the dsa for replacement parts and its a proven design. A kel tec hasn't been around long and who knows how long they last?

With that said I own a full size inch fal and I will, in a few years, buy a kel tec but only if they still have good reviews.

This is my opinion: (I know what your 2 choices are)

I would say for a shtf you might want a AR just for the fact that it is a good guy weapon. Its something that people know is not to be fucked with because "those army guys have em".

My next choice is either my fal or saiga 12.

Go with the DSA para, can't go wrong. I also agree with Racer 27 that an AR would not be a bad choice as everybody and their dog has one and 223 is alot cheaper and easier to find. But for that knockdown punch you can't beat the 308. Get the DSA and order a couple extra firing pins and look for some cheap 20rd mags. They are still out there just harder to find at a good price. I mention extra firing pins because that's what i do for my guns. Shtf and you break a firing pin on any gun and you have an expensive club or door stop. Just my two cents.

DSA Para Carbine without a doubt, easy to fix in the field, extra parts are available, a very excellent and consistent company that is always more than willing to work with the customer. The FAL is also built to last for 1000s of rounds I think they say 40,000 to 100,000 and then just change out the barrel. The only real problem that I have with DSA is that the prices have gone through the roof. Thats why I actually started to do my own builds as opposed to dropping thousands of dollars on a rifle that I knew I was going to end up changing things on.

As far as the RFB goes, I really like the design of a lot of the Kel-Tecs. If you'll take notice of the design of the RFB it is a VERY SIMILAR DESIGN to the FAL. The one major thing I would be concerned about is finding parts for this rifle, its shell extraction system is unique, you will not find any like it (except for maybe the FN F2000). That alone is a turn off for me. that and there is no way to manually clear a stuck shell without taking the gun apart..... face it, very rarely it happens, but when it does it's usually the worst time. I don't think the price is all that great either. Like anything it needs time to work the kinks out, Kel-Tec generally gets there concept guns to the market VERY quickly in comparison to other company's that spend a lot of time in R&D.

My final suggestion (if you're the type of person that likes things stock, stop reading) is to build your own or by a good receiver and gather the parts that you want and then pay a reputable FAL builder to do it. I think after seeing this question in so many different threads I may do a quick write up on what/where you can get stuff to do an awesome FAL Para Build.

• 2 weeks later...

Same opinion as Yarp on weapon choice. Built a few myself, mainly out of need. Quality kits were cheap, receivers at a decent price. Have needed tools gathering dust, if you are interested, could let you borrow. :smoke: P.S. Have a list of reputable parts suppliers if you are interested. Sounds like Yarp is also willing to pass on the knowledge.