Question about the Tapco Galil forearm guard for Saiga

I'm looking at the various possibilities for converting the stock forearm guard. The Dinzag bolt on lower retainer has gotten some less than glowing responses recently. I'm not sure if the slipping problem wouldn't affect all pinch-type retainers.

If I understand correctly, to press on a genuine AK-74 retainer requires the removing of both the front sight block and the gas block. If you drill out the dimples on the stock FSB and GB, can you reuse these pieces or must you replace them with new units? I'm really not sure I'm ready just yet to undertake a project of this size.

It appears the Tapco Galil hand guard has a pinch clamp on the front, but it looks like it also has a tab in the rear that allows you to fasten it in the same manner as the stock forearm guard. Has anyone had a problem with the Tapco Galil guard slipping? It's not the ideal look I had in mind, but it might do for a while and if I decide to do the full monty later, I think I could sell it to recover some of its cost.

I'm still deciding and would appreciate any input. Thanks.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the various possibilities for converting the stock forearm guard. The Dinzag bolt on lower retainer has gotten some less than glowing responses recently. I'm not sure if the slipping problem wouldn't affect all pinch-type retainers.

If I understand correctly, to press on a genuine AK-74 retainer requires the removing of both the front sight block and the gas block. If you drill out the dimples on the stock FSB and GB, can you reuse these pieces or must you replace them with new units? I'm really not sure I'm ready just yet to undertake a project of this size.

It appears the Tapco Galil hand guard has a pinch clamp on the front, but it looks like it also has a tab in the rear that allows you to fasten it in the same manner as the stock forearm guard. Has anyone had a problem with the Tapco Galil guard slipping? It's not the ideal look I had in mind, but it might do for a while and if I decide to do the full monty later, I think I could sell it to recover some of its cost.

I can't speak to the mechanics, because I have never installed one, but as far as looks go - it is one of the best looking commercially available alternatives to the factory handguard (with IMO) the exception of some of the aluminum rails made by forum vendors like DPH, Chaos, and Kross.

From an engineering perspective I'm a fan of a rock solid forearm that is going to stay put no matter what you shoot, or how much. If you have any concerns at all about slippage, your personal firearm is probably the last place you want to install something you are not 100% certain about.

If you try it (or anything else) and find it is, or is not 100% please post your findings. I'm sure a lot of forum members could benefit from your experience.

• Like 1

I've used the TAPCO Galil style grip on guns of mine before. It has a tab that goes into the receiver and screws in like the factory handguard does. It also has the retainer at the front which works well. It was rock solid when I used it. They also make a rail kit for it that installs very quickly and nicely that will turn it into a tri-rail, or side rail (bi-rail?) handguard as well for like $14. It is a functional handguard and will work very well.

The handguard itself will not slip off, on account of the back screw. That screw is not as sturdy as the factory Saiga screw, unfortunately, but it still works.

The handguard retainer can slip off in firing though, and did just today in fact. The result is that the handguard itself is loose up and down in the front, but still usable.

Now perhaps I didn't tighten the screw enough, for fear of overtightening. I need to implement imarangemaster's solution, which you can read about here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=50514&view=findpost&p=471150

Edited by Jim Digriz

That set screw idea is really good.

In fact, most people already have a tap and drill bit from doing their bullet guide! Just drill a little dimple in the barrel, and get a matching size machine screw to make a set screw from Lowe's/Home Depot

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

It works. Just do not over tighten the bolt.

Tapco let me know they would gladly replace my retainer with a new bolt. I'm not sure I even want to bother to send it back.

I like the fusion handguard better.

mij39f.jpg

Edited by my762buzz