Everywhere i look all you can find is 3a or less? Why is that? Can you buy a 3a and reinforce it with k49 kevlar to "upgrade" its capability? Who all on here has/wears/uses armor?

3A is plenty good. If you want to withstand rifle shots, you need a vest that will also take rifle plates.

If you have the money look into the Dragon Skin armor sold by Pinnacle Armor.

Dragon Skin is SHIT.

"More troubling to Army testers was the near complete delamination of the disks from the Kevlar backing within the Dragon Skin on several of the environmental tests.

After being subjected to 160-degree heat for six hours, the Dragon Skin vest failed on the first shot. X-ray photos of the vest show the disks slipped off their backing, exposing portions of the chest area without any ceramic protection."

"But 160 degrees is unrealistic." Stupid fucks it gets 120 degrees in the fucking shade in Iraq. I wonder how hot it gets if its under direct sunlight. My M4 was hot enough to BLISTER SKIN so we ware gloves.

Dragon+Skin+X-ray.png

Dragon+Skin+high+temp.bmp

Dragon Fail

"Pinnacle's president Murray Neal told Military.com the tests were flawed and that Army testers were unsure how to adequately evaluate his technology - which uses a series of small ceramic disk "scales" to cover the entire torso.

He called Army claims that his vests failed "a bold-faced lie" and said the service is embarrassed to admit its current armor isn't the best out there."

"Perhaps the biggest Army concern is Dragon Skin's weight. An extra large vest is nearly 20 pounds heavier than the Army's current armor, though Masters admitted it did have more rifle protective coverage than issued vests."

Yeah just what I need, turn 40lbs of vest into 60lbe of shitty vest you got to be kidding me.

Murray Neal is a dirty little piss ant that complained to congress after NIJ removed his ballistic rating. NIJ re-tested as well as the Military and Dragon Skin FAILED again. So what does the little piss ant do?

"On August 20, 2007 at the United States Test Laboratory in Wichita, Kansas, nine Dragon Skin SOV-2000 (Level III) body armor panels were retested, for the purpose of validating Pinnacle Armor's six year warranty. The panels tested were between 5.75 years old to 6.6 years old. All items met the NIJ Level III ballistic protection, confirming Pinnacle Armor's six-year warranty for full ballistic protection. Pinnacle resubmitted the SOV-2000 vest to the NIJ for certification based on this successful testing, but this application was rejected because the test had not been properly documented. As of November 2007, Pinnacle is suing to force the NIJ to recertify the SOV-2000 vest."

United States Test Laboratory in Wichita tested the Dragon Skin the way Murray Neal stipulates in his warranty and NOT to NIJ standards.

He fucking sues NIJ for not testing Dragon Skin to HIS requirements. You got to be fucking kidding me!

• Like 1

I went with LIII steel plates, I got mine at expertguns. They will stop anything short of 30-06 with multi hit capability. A little heavier than my old interceptor was but I like that I can't crack my plates and ruin um. I got a deal on my stuff (they just increased their prices ~2months ago). 2 plates and an eagle carrier for $279..

• Like 1

The potential for Gecko45 jokes in this thread is amazing......

huh?

Eric that's a reference to the original mall ninja.

Krisfox, I have no dog in the dragon skin fight and it seems that you have some issues with the manufacturer. That aside, Col. Hackworth's advocacy group (Soldiers For The Truth) also believed that the ballistic armor tests were skewed against Pinnacle and they published all the documents supporting their claims on their website. I don't know if you know who Hack was but I trusted him. And until the Army banned the use of Dragon Skin, it was used by Army generals and their PSD's, spec ops, and all the usual alphabet groups that had money to spend. As far as I know, those groups that aren't required to follow Army directives are still using it. Also, Karl Masters was the product manager for Interceptor so I take his statements with a grain of salt.

Hmmm...just tried to check the sftt.org website and it's down. Well, if it ever comes back up it makes for some good reading.

• Like 2

The potential for Gecko45 jokes in this thread is amazing......

huh?

Eric that's a reference to the original mall ninja.

Krisfox, I have no dog in the dragon skin fight and it seems that you have some issues with the manufacturer. That aside, Col. Hackworth's advocacy group (Soldiers For The Truth) also believed that the ballistic armor tests were skewed against Pinnacle and they published all the documents supporting their claims on their website. I don't know if you know who Hack was but I trusted him. And until the Army banned the use of Dragon Skin, it was used by Army generals and their PSD's, spec ops, and all the usual alphabet groups that had money to spend. As far as I know, those groups that aren't required to follow Army directives are still using it. Also, Karl Masters was the product manager for Interceptor so I take his statements with a grain of salt.

Hmmm...just tried to check the sftt.org website and it's down. Well, if it ever comes back up it makes for some good reading.

Hmmmm... Crayola version for the Marine.

20 lbs heavier, proven to fail when exposed to high desert temperatures, offers only marginally better coverage when compared to the IBA (Assuming it actually works as MFR claims), and costs twice as much.

Also new boron-carbide plates are 30% lighter than E-SAPI, level IV stand alone protection, and are currently being evaluated by DOD as a replacement for current plates.

Even if Dragon Skin were in use right now it would be getting replaced.

When I grabbed some level 2 armor from bulletproofme.com I found that calling and asking answered questions a whole lot faster than looking on the internet... where it's easy to get bogged down in technical specs. You can add level 3a and level 4 plates as standalone carriers for practically any configuration you want. However, if you're not actively deployed military, you'll probably want to configure your armor based on the required need. While it's easy to say, "I need the max protection", it's harder to imagine many scenarios as a civillian where you'll have time to don all that extra armor. I bought level 2 concealable with plate carriers. If money allows, I'll grab front and back rifle plates this year.

As a note, they sell ballistic blankets that are level 3a...

Remember that the 2, 3a, 3, and 4 designations are based on fragmentation, type of caliber, and velocity testing.

As bulletproofme.com said to me, "What's the best kind of armor?" - Answer, the kind that you're wearing right now.

I've worn armor while hiking, running errands, and even to work once to see if anyone would notice the extra bulk. No one did even though I was extremely self-conscious of it. Add rifle plates and an Interceptor shell... and that's a different story. Regardless of your state laws, going out in full battle dress with armor on will attract attention.