bad day at the range due to bolt hold open problem!

so yesterday i went to the range to go practice with my s12. i pulled back the bolt engaged the bolt hold open and inserted mag. i pull back the bolt and let it go and nothing.... the bolt hold open was still engaged! i try again...nothing. i flip it over and the bho is now inside the reciver!!! I had no way to close the bolt. So i call a buddy from the forum who has alot more knoledge then me and take it to his place. after some work he got the bolt out and found the BHO came off its spring. we decided to remove it altogether so it wouldnt happen again. my question is is it ok to run like this? should i reinstall it? ive only had the s12 for a little bit is the a common or reoccuring problem? ive searched around the forum and swear i read somthing about this but cant find it now... any help or opinons welcome thanks!

by the way this is my first real post and wanted to say thanks for the wealth of info!!! reading the post on this forum helped me to decide to get an s12 in the first place!

If keeping it out, find a washer to place next to the hammer to compensate for the spacing / centering of the BHO.

If re-installing, take your Dremel cutoff wheel & tap a notch in the top of where the BHO spring rests & it will not fall off again.

While you're at it, you may want to push the BHO all the way up & trim off excess material so you don't accidently engage it while firing.

I was about to remove it on mine, but that would make my MD-20 into an MD-19 due to the fact that it is impossible to load in on a closed bolt.

I've seen people run their Saigas with it removed no problem. I only really use mine for ranges that require the bolt be left open when you're not on the line. It's a handy feature to have in that situation.

Remember though, if you remove it, the hammer can slide over to the right where the BHO used to be. The easiest way to stop that is to either get a hammer that's not been modified for the BHO (like a Tapco) or just use a washer on the hammer pin where the BHO used to be.

Corbin

*EDIT* Paulyski beat me to it. lol

Edited by Corbin

This is a very common issue. I know I've replied to threads like these before.

Rather than deleting the BHO I find simply running a notch into the corner of the return bend where the spring leg sits works quite well. Just tap it with a dremel with a cutting wheel, or swipe it with a jewlers file. It doesn't take much.

Edited by hobbyshooter

thanks guys!!! i would have never thought of adding a washer!!! i may try to reinstall it with the mod. so if i under stand right you just put a little slice where the spring leg sits? but not to deep though...

thanks robrez that actually in someway makes me feel better!!! lol

and thanks hobbyshooter im gonna give it a try!!! the way i look at it if it happens again then ill pull it out for good. this has been the only blemish on an otherwise perfect saiga...