Shock Absorber Stock for Saiga 308

Team,

Just joined up:)

Been researching for a new rifle. Mainly looking at AK 74/CZ-58. After doing a lot of research stumbled upon people recommending the 7.62x 51 round. Did some more research on CETME and PTR91. I knew about Saiga quality when researching for AK 74. Anyways, ran across a website offering accessories (FAB) for rifles. The two things that stuck out to me was the Stock butt that has a shock absorbing spring in it and a bi-pod attachment. The website is an Israeli one and I believe that a company called Mako also offers FAB accessories.

Here is link for the Stock:

Here is link for the bi-pod:

Also offered is bi-pod with flashlight.

I just got into shooting last year. Friends took me out and got me hooked. Course then I spent all this money on getting firearms so on one hand very grateful but on the other........

So I have two pistols/Mossberg 550 shotty/Savage .22LR.

Looking to add good, inexpensive rifle to mix. Has anyone used FAB accessories? Specifically the shock absorbing stock? Looking for opinions on how easy it is to add for the Saiga 308. I am very new to this. My first pistol was a Sigma .40 and I finally got good enough to do spring modification to overcome that ridiculous 12lb trigger pull. But that was simple stuff compared to Saiga conversions. Don't have any drills etc... just simple around the apt tools.

Appreciate any feedback:)

Ivan

Edited by Wolverine
Unauthorized link removed per policy.
  • Like 1

I have their shock absorbing stock and it works great, especially in conjunction with a muzzle brake. I can hardly feel any recoil, though there is a quick back and forth movement from the spring in the stock contracting and expanding. In other words there is still recoil movement but without much of any force to it (it does throw the sight picture off however). The stock is very easy to install - just slide it on and secure with the two allen head screws. I do want to try my Saiga with just the muzzle brake and a regular stock to see if there is less movement.

• Like 1

I have their shock absorbing stock and it works great, especially in conjunction with a muzzle brake. I can hardly feel any recoil, though there is a quick back and forth movement from the spring in the stock contracting and expanding. In other words there is still recoil movement but without much of any force to it (it does throw the sight picture off however). The stock is very easy to install - just slide it on and secure with the two allen head screws. I do want to try my Saiga with just the muzzle brake and a regular stock to see if there is less movement.

Thanks for the info:) If/when you get a chance to test out on reg stock please let me know. It'll be a month at least before I can purchase the Saiga 308. Right now trying to devise a "To get" list of parts and pinging friends who have the tools and the exp to help out. If the cons of the shock absorption are not worth the benefits then I can look to a different stock.

• Like 1

Gel buttstock pad, rubberbanded to stock. Done. Suck it up.

If that doesn't work, try this:

df1700_flat_bench_press.jpg

Amen!!! At a whopping 150 lbs., I have never had a problem with recoil, folks! C'mon now! Barring a permanent shoulder injury, there is NO reason any AK platform rifle or Shotgun needs a recoil pad! I don't even work out, I just know how to hold my rifle. Imagine that! My .308 has the steel wire folder, probably looks like the worst recoil machine. Nope. Works just fine.

If the workout bench doesn't help, try these!

post-16191-12677240452377_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hello

My wife shoots my S.308's all day long, if I let her. And no, she's not some huge ghetto-gorilla type.

Respectfully,

guido

LOL, my son and I got a kick outta the responses. Although the nuts in water is a tad disturbing :unsure: Don't recall firing a 308 before. I enjoy clay pigeons with my Mossberg 535 shotty so if the 308 is similar the kick should not bother me. My reason for the shock absorber was for quicker on target follow up. If the benefit does not justify the extra cost then I can certainly use the money elsewhere.

Been reading the forums and apparently one of the forum members makes great magazines so I need to look at budgeting for that. I thought I read about a new pistol grip that just came out but can't find the thread. Should have bookmarked it.

Glad you have a sense of humor! It's all in good fun! the Saiga .308 is really fun to shoot, as with all rifles, holding that bugger as tight to your shoulder as you can makes a world of difference! I'm sure the whole family would love to shoot it! Mine is probably my #2 fun gun behind my S12.

I never knew that rooster waddles could look so grotesque - was that image from a roadkill?

Now let me make sure I follow your line of thinking - everyone who shoots an AR type rifle with a muzzle brake and buffer device in the stock to mitigate recoil and muzzle rise (for the sake of quick follow-up shots) is a fully intact dude (or dudette), but if someone shooting an AK platform wants to reduce recoil and muzzle rise (for the sake of quick follow-up shots) then that makes them a castrato?

Never said anything about AR folks being "intact". I'm pretty sure my second shot is fast enough for anyone who is not actively shooting at other people who are shooting at them! If your not in a war, and you need to spend a bunch of cash to have a slightly faster second shot, that is certainly your perrogative. If you just can't take the recoil then you are probably doing something wrong. That's all. Seems a muzzle brake to reduce rise would be the most anyone would need.

Besides, an AR-15 is really best suited for teaching kids how to shoot a rifle. Not a very practical caliber for civilian use besides killing paper.

I never implied AR's involve intactness or manliness in any way!!! It's Quite the opposite IMO.

Besides, an AR-15 is really best suited for teaching kids how to shoot a rifle. Not a very practical caliber for civilian use besides killing paper.

I never implied AR's involve intactness or manliness in any way!!! It's Quite the opposite IMO.

Ouch! :sadam:

Had a new shooter out today, (future son-n-law. Has fired shotguns and a couple 22's before. Started with a AR, fired a couple 7.62X39 AK's, moved on to Cetme, Fal, M1As standard and Socom, and finally a S-308. Yes got a lot of weapons to clean, not counting the 8 pistols fired. His favorite was the S-308 conversion by Red Jacket. Except for a blackjack recoil reducer it is a standard kick S-308. Sometimes long time shooters don't notice the recoil, unless excessive. He had no ploblems with follow up shot at quick set targets. :smoke: So, if it mentally makes you feel better, do what makes you feel more at ease. Some platforms (M1A's)there is great difference in kick from issue style to Socom.

Hello, Ruffian72

Ditto that. There is substantially more recoil when shooting, say, my RRA .308 as compared to the Saiga. Although, I do typically shoot heavier (180/185 gr.) and hotter handloads in it compared to the steel cased and South African stuff in the Saiga.

Doesn't make it any less fun to shoot, however. Nothing like grouping on the 300 yard range.

Respectfully,

guido

Had a new shooter out today, (future son-n-law. Has fired shotguns and a couple 22's before. Started with a AR, fired a couple 7.62X39 AK's, moved on to Cetme, Fal, M1As standard and Socom, and finally a S-308. Yes got a lot of weapons to clean, not counting the 8 pistols fired. His favorite was the S-308 conversion by Red Jacket. Except for a blackjack recoil reducer it is a standard kick S-308. Sometimes long time shooters don't notice the recoil, unless excessive. He had no ploblems with follow up shot at quick set targets. :smoke: So, if it mentally makes you feel better, do what makes you feel more at ease. Some platforms (M1A's)there is great difference in kick from issue style to Socom.

Some of it's mental, some kick is weapon based. Just get comfortable, you'll shoot more. Same as those who believe anything above a 9/.40 is not a controlable issue handgun. Carried ,45's/10mm. What I like. Got a uncles 10 guage double barrel. It's miserable to shoot, so needless to say

Ouch! :sadam:

Well, civilians don't get sent around the world with rifles built for wounding enemies. They need rifles that can kill an intruder and be able to hunt with. So that statement was fair.

Thanks everyone for your insights. In order to make compliance I think I will go with US based stock/trigger/pistol grip. However, got more questions :D Has anyone used a combo fore-grip bi-pod like this one: http://www.zahal.org/products/tactical-bipod-foregrip?path_parent=153447

Are there any US companies that make something like that? If anyone has used it is it worth the investment? I don't mind saving up for something that cost if the return is worth it. Been researching Krebs AK rail system extensively since reading YC post on it. Very expensive, but I could eventually use it on any Saiga. If first conversion goes well enough I would like to do several calibers (7.62x39, 5.45, 12gauge) down the road. In fact right now the 7.62x39 is on sale for same price as the Krebs rail system so I may start with 7.62x39 instead of .308.

Anyways, I do appreciate everyone taking the time to reply:)

Thanks everyone for your insights. In order to make compliance I think I will go with US based stock/trigger/pistol grip. However, got more questions :D Has anyone used a combo fore-grip bi-pod like this one: http://www.zahal.org/products/tactical-bipod-foregrip?path_parent=153447

Are there any US companies that make something like that?...

The foregrip you linked to is not a compliance part, so it doesn't matter where it is made. Only the handguard (the upper and lower together count as one part) matters, not any of the extra stuff that you mount on the handguard.

Edited by War Hammer