I joined the Saiga 12 club, now what?

So I just picked up my first Saiga 12 today (unconverted).

What should I do now?

I figured I would run about 200 rounds through it and document how it holds up. 100 rounds of Federal bulk from Walmart as well as various other slugs, buckshot, etc. that I can find.

And then what, if it cycles 90% of the time is that good, or should I go for 100%?

At what point should I convert it? I assume if I convert it, that voids the warranty, so I should make sure it is in good working order first right?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

Welcome aboard man!

First things first- do NOT make any negative remarks/opinions about Tromix ;) trust me on this one

Second- figure out what this gun's intended purpose will be. If you plan on using it for HD/SD purposes, a conversion would be beneficial. There are countless threads floating around with people's builds as well as a picture thread stickied at the top. Search and figure out as much as possible before posting as, for the most part, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Thirdly- make sure that whatever state you live in, a conversion is LEGAL!!! Read up on your area's gun laws. If you get stuck, talk to your jurisdiction's primary authority. No need in being in violation of any laws and having your gun taken away.

Fourth- HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!!!

Welcome aboard man!

First things first- do NOT make any negative remarks/opinions about Tromix ;) trust me on this one

Second- figure out what this gun's intended purpose will be. If you plan on using it for HD/SD purposes, a conversion would be beneficial. There are countless threads floating around with people's builds as well as a picture thread stickied at the top. Search and figure out as much as possible before posting as, for the most part, this forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Thirdly- make sure that whatever state you live in, a conversion is LEGAL!!! Read up on your area's gun laws. If you get stuck, talk to your jurisdiction's primary authority. No need in being in violation of any laws and having your gun taken away.

1 - OK

2 - I am already 99% sure that I am going to convert it. I have done plenty of research and am confident that I can do most of the conversion myself here at home. I also am fairly confident I know how I am going to configure it.

3 - I live in AZ.

What I really wanted to know is what sort of "stuff" I need to know about and do to the gun before I convert it so I know I have a good and reliable platform to base my conversion off of.

Sounds like you're all set then!

Well, the general rule of thumb with S12's is to be aware of what gas setting you're on before firing- Slugs/Highbrass stuff is setting 1, birdshot is setting 2 (I always had these confused, thought they were the other way around for the longest time... oops)

Otherwise, most people have very reliable guns right out of the box. If there are any issues, it can usually be attributed to either a faulty mag, low brass/wrong gas setting, or one of the models with the dreaded 1 or 2 port barrel.

Welcome aboard man!

1 - OK

2 - I am already 99% sure that I am going to convert it. I have done plenty of research and am confident that I can do most of the conversion myself here at home. I also am fairly confident I know how I am going to configure it.

3 - I live in AZ.

What I really wanted to know is what sort of "stuff" I need to know about and do to the gun before I convert it so I know I have a good and reliable platform to base my conversion off of.

Make sure when you are shooting high brass that you have the gas setting on 1 and when you first try birdshot to see if it works before you set it to 2.

Edited by Racer 27

Well, most, if not all, birdshot is considered low brass, whereas most slugs and buckshot are high brass. They're named so because of, literally, the height of the brass on the shell, which reflects the amount of powder in the shell. So generally speaking, the heavier the projectile, the more powder to push it, and the more recoil produced.

Those Federal 100 packs are low brass, and I've never had any issues with them.

Rifled slugs (high brass) are meant to be used with smooth bore barrels, so you're good to go.

Edited by Lucas_061287

Well, most, if not all, birdshot is considered low brass, whereas most slugs and buckshot are high brass. They're named so because of, literally, the height of the brass on the shell, which reflects the amount of powder in the shell. So generally speaking, the heavier the projectile, the more powder to push it, and the more recoil produced.

So its the recoil/powder/projectile that makes it good for breaking in, and not necessarily the physical brass that is doing anything?

Welcome aboard man!

Great advice! It is never a good idea to attack one of our founders and board supporters, if you don't like their products vote with your pocketbook not your mouth! :rolleyes:

So I just picked up my first Saiga 12 today (unconverted).

What should I do now?

I figured I would run about 200 rounds through it and document how it holds up. 100 rounds of Federal bulk from Walmart as well as various other slugs, buckshot, etc. that I can find.

And then what, if it cycles 90% of the time is that good, or should I go for 100%?

At what point should I convert it? I assume if I convert it, that voids the warranty, so I should make sure it is in good working order first right?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks.

You should pm all of us with pictures of your girlfriend as that is customary on here after you begin the conversion...don't argue with tradition.

make sure it can shoot low brass rounds and generally low brass rounds have less visible "brass" but that isn't always the case. just find some of the cheapest rounds you can and make sure the gun can cycle them. The high brass break in is always a good idea however 200 rounds of high brass may cost you more than sending your bolt and carrier off to be polished and relieved. If you do the latter it'll be easier to insert a mag on a closed bolt and the action will be smooth as buttah...R & R, Jt eng., cobra, Lonestar arms, etc all forum members can do that for you if it interests you. I also recommend a gunfixer plug as it provides may benefits the biggest one being, changing settings on the fly easily without pressing a button while using a tool to twist the OE plug. Other than that, the sky is the limit. And as always if you come to any snafu's or roadblocks search for answers as your problem has probably come up 100x before. If not get on here and ask you'll always get a good answer/fix from someone....followed by a bunch of smart ass remarks.