Traded off my AR for a NIB Remington 5R Milspec. Review and Pics

Pics and range report whenever I get it. Can't get some good glass until I sell another gun so it's getting the Cabela's scope for now (blasphemy!) It may be a while, I don't load for .308 so I have to buy brass, dies, bullets and powder. And the wife is still pissed that I blew $300 on gun-related shit this month.

Shane

Traded off my AR for a NIB Remington 5R Milspec. Review and Pics

Pics and range report whenever I get it. Can't get some good glass until I sell another gun so it's getting the Cabela's scope for now (blasphemy!) It may be a while, I don't load for .308 so I have to buy brass, dies, bullets and powder. And the wife is still pissed that I blew $300 on gun-related shit this month.

Shane

Wives come and go...A good Rifle will last FOREVER!

Edited by RoughRider666

Hey banshee, I've got a question as I noticed you have a two-piece base. I want to get a 20 MOA base and I like the looks of a 1 piece, but I'm worried it will be a bitch to load the mag (Until i get a DBM), your thoughts? Why did you go with the 2 piece?

Hey banshee, I've got a question as I noticed you have a two-piece base. I want to get a 20 MOA base and I like the looks of a 1 piece, but I'm worried it will be a bitch to load the mag (Until i get a DBM), your thoughts? Why did you go with the 2 piece?

I use two piece rails because they look better and are a little easier to load and unload. The mounts I put on the 5R are Leupold Mark IV and should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, range report on the 5R (Can't do pics till tomorrow):

Well, finally got all my components together today and loaded up some rounds for this rifle. I went all over Eastern Washington looking for Berger match hunting 155gr VLDs with no luck, so I went with the 168gr Amaxs.

I have yet to get glass for it, so it got the gypsy treatment. A BSA scope that may or may not hold zero, a weaver rail, and some really cheap rings.

I measured the throat with the guage, and with this particular bullet, the COAL needs to be 2.942" to touch the lands. Was a little pissed about this, as one of the advantages to this gun is supposed to be a short throat, to make factory ammo (2.80") more accurate. I loaded to mag length (2.810").

I broke it in with cheapo Winchester 147gr FMJs. I did a "proper" break in and cleaned between each shot, each 3 shot group, and each 5 shot group. I've got to say, that 5R barrel does not foul very much. It did after the first three rounds, but after that it was very easy to clean.

After a lengthy sight-in process (Thanks to BSAs first-class tracking) I finally was able to shoot a 1.50" (est) 5-shot group with this factory ammo (not too bad for the cheapest reloadable shit you can buy).

Let me just say one thing here. This is the most accurate rifle I've ever shot. But it taught me a valuable lesson, just because your rifle can do .25" -.50", doesn't mean you can!

:cryss:

Then I ran 5-shot groups of the Amaxs with WLR primers, 42.0gr-46.0gr of Varget. Most accurate load was the 45.0gr at about .80" (est), the max load was second at about 1.10" (est) I'm going to try loads in .2gr steps between 45 and 46 and see what ends up best.

I think if I had more than $160 invested in my scope, rings and mounts, it would do better. Also, next time I make it to Tri-Cities, I'm going to put it on a lead sled and see what it can actually do, without me mucking it up.

I'm also going to mail order some of those VLDs. I think they will be more accurate for a few reasons. One, they're a hollow point, and I can load it to .020" off the lands and it will still fit in the magazine. (The Amax has a ballistic tip that I'm considering sanding down) The VLD also has a higher BC, and it's built for big game (not that it effects accuracy) They're also $45 a box so they have to be more accurate right?

My only gripes are the SS finish (Really? On a "Milspec" gun?) and the "recoil pad". The recoil pad is just a thin sheet of shoe sole rubber, and after about 25 of those 168s it hurts like hell. Never thought I would sit here and bitch about the recoil on a .308 but there you have it. And I'm not some biatch that can't take it, I shoot my 7mm all day long with 162s and 175s. This bitch hurts! I'm putting a limbsaver on it as soon as I can.

Well that about does it for the "Range Report".

It was dark when I got home, so I'll have to take pics of targets and the gun tomorrow.....or Monday :ph34r:

Edited by Shaneman153D

I was afraid that the light weight and so called recoil pad would be a problem with a long string of shots. That is why I went ahead and replaced the factory stock on mine with the AICS. Have you considered trying some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo? They are supposed to perform very well for factory ammo.I haven't shot mine yet, I'm still waiting on the Night Force scope I ordered

I bought a 5R last year, but haven't fired it yet. So far I have around $2100 in it and still haven't bought any glass.

AI3a.jpg

Beautiful gun room you have there Mr. Banshee. I wish I had a room like that but my grandkids are in my gunroom too much so I have to keep them in safes...

Mr Shaneman, very nice and simple rifle you have but I'm sure you're not finished with the goodies you want for it.

nyclu3

I was afraid that the light weight and so called recoil pad would be a problem with a long string of shots. That is why I went ahead and replaced the factory stock on mine with the AICS. Have you considered trying some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo? They are supposed to perform very well for factory ammo.I haven't shot mine yet, I'm still waiting on the Night Force scope I ordered

Mr Shaneman, very nice and simple rifle you have but I'm sure you're not finished with the goodies you want for it.

nyclu3

Thanks, not by a long shot. Planning to slap a Vortex Viper w/ -20MOA base, badger knob, rifle basx trigger, and eventually a detachable magazine bottom. And I don't see this stock lasting too long, the "pistol" grip is pretty terrible.

Edited by Shaneman153D

Well I actually measured those groups and the best was closer to about 1.050" and the commercial ammo was 1.5". I did manage to pull the ballistic tips out of the Amaxs making them HPBTs, allowing me to seat them closer to the lands (and still fit in the mag). My test groups included one 5 shot group at .540" (same charge as the 1.050"), but I didn't photo it.

Still trying to fine-tune the load, but here's what I got in this series:

scan0001.jpg

Here's the bitch of it. The flier on the center group is actually the cold-bore shot on a clean barrel. The flier on the group on the left was pulled by yours truly (the first two shots psyched me out), so it's hard to say which powder charge is the most accurate. I don't know what the hell happened on the group to the right, that's not a pulled flier.

I guess I'll keep pluggin away, not sure if I'm gonna do more development or just go with the one in the center. bah. I might load up some more and do an all cold/clean bore series since that what really matters if you want first-round hits.

Here's some pics. Pardon the ghey camo tape, it holds my cheekrest in place.

DSCN1634.jpg

DSCN1633.jpg

DSCN1632.jpg

One more note, I take back all that I said about the stock. Feels funny holding off-hand, but once you get down on a bipod that palm swell is sweet!