We are opening a new office in North Phoenix. It will have one chief judge and seven or eight additional line judges. My Dad lives in that area, so I am thinking about applying. It would be a lateral move for me, but Uncle Sam will pay for the move if I get selected for one of the slots.

I have been to visit my Dad a few times, but I am not otherwise extremely familiar with North Phoenix. Does anyone have any impute, good or bad on the place other than the fact that it is a "dry heat."

Thanks,

WJ

At least there should be a lot of desert for me to shoot in. It is funny what you think about when you even contemplate such a life change. I was wondering what the moving company would think of my shotgun collection. However, I seriously doubt that I'd let them have anything to do with packing, shipping or unpacking them.

Oh man, the movers would also not like my gun safe. lol!

How far from Phoenix is the global headquarters of Lone Star Arms? If we get one of the positions, I'd love swing over and meet you sometime.

WJ

For an outsdoorsmen Arizona is one of the bestest places to live in the nation hands down. In North Phoenix you are close to lots of desert, Ben avery shooting range, Lake Pleasant and the I-17 can take you up into the pines and cool weather in the summer time or ski'ing in the winter. Or you can use it to shoot down to Tuscon or elsewhere. There is a Cabela's on the West side of town and Bass Pro shop on the East. It doesnt matter when you get here your first summer will suck bad, however they all get easier with time and before you know it you will be like us natives. We find ourselves doing strange things like shooting and hiking in the dead of summer in 110 degree heat. The state offers a huge variety of terrain from thick woods to low and high desert to wetlands you name it. Awesome gun laws, and decent hunting well very high quality hunting if your into varmit and javelin and quail and dove you get the picture lol. Any other questions just ask more than appy to help answer them. I will say I lived all over the country but found myself not able to leave this state for good.

For an outsdoorsmen Arizona is one of the bestest places to live in the nation hands down. In North Phoenix you are close to lots of desert, Ben avery shooting range, Lake Pleasant and the I-17 can take you up into the pines and cool weather in the summer time or ski'ing in the winter. Or you can use it to shoot down to Tuscon or elsewhere. There is a Cabela's on the West side of town and Bass Pro shop on the East. It doesnt matter when you get here your first summer will suck bad, however they all get easier with time and before you know it you will be like us natives. We find ourselves doing strange things like shooting and hiking in the dead of summer in 110 degree heat. The state offers a huge variety of terrain from thick woods to low and high desert to wetlands you name it. Awesome gun laws, and decent hunting well very high quality hunting if your into varmit and javelin and quail and dove you get the picture lol. Any other questions just ask more than appy to help answer them. I will say I lived all over the country but found myself not able to leave this state for good.

Thanks, it sounds pretty good. 110+ will take some getting use to, but I'll just try to do what my Dad does, which is start early in the morning, stay inside, and try not to do much outside during the heat of the day.

I don't know how much competition I'll have for the slots, but given there will be eight or so new positions, and there is a pretty limited pool of people to draw from (only current federal Administrative Law Judges will be eligible for the openings), I like my odds. My wife is excited about the possibility, but I know it will be a very hard sell to the 17 year old.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

Having lived in phoenix for 25+ years and being a former LEO in North phoenix I would say stay north of Greenway blvd/rd and you will be set. If you don't mind being a bit outside of town look at Anthem or other communities along I-17 a few miles north of the 101 since they are all fairly new and very nice plus that would put you only minutes from Ben Avery.

Good desert shooting spots can be had within an hour of North Phoenix so if you end up moving shoot me a pm and I can suggest a few places.

I survived a jump from 15000 feet (without the benefit of an open parachute) at the corner of 99th Ave and the Carefree highway on Memorial Day in 1986. We were skydiving out behind a place called the Wild Horse saloon and using a dirt road out behind the place as a runway. I have no idea whether it's still there or not.

A pool is a "must have" if we move. The other is a three car garage. We had a three car garage in our old house. When we moved to NC very few houses in our price range have three car garages. Once you have a three car garage, it is something you really miss. It just gives you that much more space to fill up with valuable (useless crap) stuff. The three car garage is also a very nice thing to have given the fact that most houses here do not have a basement.

WJ

A pool is a "must have" if we move. The other is a three car garage. We had a three car garage in our old house. When we moved to NC very few houses in our price range have three car garages. Once you have a three car garage, it is something you really miss. It just gives you that much more space to fill up with valuable (useless crap) stuff. The three car garage is also a very nice thing to have given the fact that most houses here do not have a basement.

WJ

Not very many houses out west with basements either WJ, unless you are in Tornado country -- and Phoenix just has dust devils;) My house out here in NM, interestingly enough, came with a concrete bomb shelter. Maybe something to do with Albuquerque being home to nuke labs. +10 on the three car garage, and swimming pool!

Maybe something to do with Albuquerque being home to nuke labs

Ah, good old Sandia. I'll never forget that hot, dry highway deep into the base. Anyone remember the opening sequence of Half-Life? *shudder*

Oh, that stuff happens here all the time... Another reason NM (like Arizona) is a Castle Doctrine, Open Carry, CCW Shall Issue state..... Why just yesterday there was something that looked half Klingon, and half great ape was ringing the doorbell to the workshop. I think he was looking for the tire shop down the street.... I'll never know because we don't answer the door for mutants arriving without an appointment.