Ok.. I didn't want to ask this because I reckon it's a stupid question.. so I've been looking for someone to say how to do it.. or someone else to ask.. whatever comes first, but no luck..

I want to swap my FSB for a real one.. I understand drilling out the dimples... but what else is required to remove the stock FSB? do I need to drill the pin holes as well? and once everythings in order will it come out with a few hits from a hammer? Familiar with removing it on my .308, but the 5.45 seems a bit less straightforward. (I wish we had a sticky at the top for this and removing the gas block.. stuff like that)

Yeah, Dremel tool is the easiest way to go. Just be really carefull not to cut into the barrel. I cut down the length of both sides right through the dimples right down untill it almost kisses the barrel. Then I give the FSB a couple of whacks with a BFH and off it pops.

this also works for the gas port.

meh.. Im back to confused again.. heres my gun

downsized_0324001351.jpg

so you mean I should cut sort of a circular slice that runs through the dimples? or do I just drill them out and dremel furthur toward the tip of the gun?

Edited by volkov

Cut a slice lengthways with the barrel on each side, making an upper and lower half, then, as was said, knock the hell out of it and it will pop off in 2 pieces. On a side note, don't throw away your factory FSB, you can use it to make a GBFSB in the future.

Cut a slice lengthways with the barrel on each side, making an upper and lower half, then, as was said, knock the hell out of it and it will pop off in 2 pieces. On a side note, don't throw away your factory FSB, you can use it to make a GBFSB in the future.

gotcha, and awesome, always wanted one of those.. best looking sight blocks IMO.. maybe on my next build

Yeah that's it, I should have been more clear. Do that, then you can add the '74 FSB with threads and the 90 degree gas port with lug and cleaning rod slot to turn your rifle into more of what is supposed to be.

How does one go about doing that?

Here ya go.

http://forum.novarata.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1487

Here ya go.

Much thanks..

• 2 weeks later...

Here ya go.

Much thanks..

Little OT here, but that is a nice option. Anyone have any pics of this done on a saiga?

Makes me wonder what the longest flash hider is I could get. To help eat up some of the barrel sticking out after doing this gas/fsb combo.

Any input?

Here ya go.

Much thanks..

Little OT here, but that is a nice option. Anyone have any pics of this done on a saiga?

Makes me wonder what the longest flash hider is I could get. To help eat up some of the barrel sticking out after doing this gas/fsb combo.

Any input?

K-var sells a neat 4.5" krinkov style flash hider that goes on 21mm rh threads. But I assume you would have to cut your barrel and recrown it to eat up some of it's length. There is also the 4 piece bulgarian flash hider that looks to be at least 3 inches in length. I have thought about this myself, but I'm hesitant as to how it would effect accuracy. I also recommend doing the front sight gas block combo with a 90 degree gas block, or your stock saiga block ( which is 90 degree or close to it if I am not mistaken). It woud look alot cleaner imho.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16981&cat=289&page=1

Upon further review of this item, I've found (after calling kvar) that this flash hider covers about 1.5" of the barrel. In other words it is sort of a semi-shroud/flash hider. This might be what I've been looking for to simulate a shorter barrel. I have the 16" saiga 7.62 and 5.45. I had initially planned on doing the custom fsb gas block combo with a welder friend I have at work. And then cutting the barrel and recrowning it for both rifles. For the 7.62 I was going to use the 4 piece flash hider, and for the 5.45, I was going to use the krinkov style. But this would require cutting the barrel down to 12-13", and then welding on the flash hiders. I wonder how detrimental that would be to accuracy. I plan on using my rifles for target shooting and shtf situations. I welcome anyone with extensive knowledge to chime in....

Here ya go.

Much thanks..

Any input?

K-var sells a neat 4.5" krinkov style flash hider that goes on 21mm rh threads. But I assume you would have to cut your barrel and recrown it to eat up some of it's length. There is also the 4 piece bulgarian flash hider that looks to be at least 3 inches in length. I have thought about this myself, but I'm hesitant as to how it would effect accuracy. I also recommend doing the front sight gas block combo with a 90 degree gas block, or your stock saiga block ( which is 90 degree or close to it if I am not mistaken). It woud look alot cleaner imho.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16981&cat=289&page=1

Upon further review of this item, I've found (after calling kvar) that this flash hider covers about 1.5" of the barrel. In other words it is sort of a semi-shroud/flash hider. This might be what I've been looking for to simulate a shorter barrel. I have the 16" saiga 7.62 and 5.45. I had initially planned on doing the custom fsb gas block combo with a welder friend I have at work. And then cutting the barrel and recrowning it for both rifles. For the 7.62 I was going to use the 4 piece flash hider, and for the 5.45, I was going to use the krinkov style. But this would require cutting the barrel down to 12-13", and then welding on the flash hiders. I wonder how detrimental that would be to accuracy. I plan on using my rifles for target shooting and shtf situations. I welcome anyone with extensive knowledge to chime in....

http://www.alfa-proj.cz/picture/Prodejna/SAIGAmk.jpg

This is what I'm aiming for.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen many people say to be careful not to gash the barrel with the dremel; I took my saiga to a gunsmith to have the FSB done because I felt that the dremel was too noisy in my apartment. The guy who did the work milled through the FSB on both sides and definately milled into the barrel. It's not too bad, but you can definately see that the barrel was slightly shaved on each side. Should I be worried?

I've seen many people say to be careful not to gash the barrel with the dremel; I took my saiga to a gunsmith to have the FSB done because I felt that the dremel was too noisy in my apartment. The guy who did the work milled through the FSB on both sides and definately milled into the barrel. It's not too bad, but you can definately see that the barrel was slightly shaved on each side. Should I be worried?

No, as long as it's not too deep, wouldn't be a problem...For me its cosmetic, even though it's covered by the fsb, my ocd kicks in and I would know it's there.

Yeah, there's cuts in the barrel already, where the pins go, so I don't think that a small slice into the barrel will cause any problems. I got into my barrel a bit when I was getting the original FSB off, but I figure it'll be alright with the new FSB clamped around it. I haven't shot it yet, but if I get an Elmer Fudd catastrophic failure, a la Buggs Bunny carrot in the rifle, I'll let y'all know.