New guy with a few questions about the break in period

I took my new converted S12 out to the ranger yesterday. How many rounds on average does it take to break this gun in? I was told by someone to do the entire break in on the second gas setting. A few of the Remington 00 buck would not cycle. I had a lot of trouble with Federal bulk bird shot too. I tried Winchester too, but I don't think my gun likes Winchester they wouldn't cycle at all. In total I went through about 200 rounds, most of which were 00 buck , and slugs. My last mag, 2 00 buck rounds didn't cycle. Is this a gas issue, or does this gun need more of a break in. Would the after market gas plug, or puck help? Thanks all.

I took my new converted S12 out to the ranger yesterday. How many rounds on average does it take to break this gun in? I was told by someone to do the entire break in on the second gas setting. A few of the Remington 00 buck would not cycle. I had a lot of trouble with Federal bulk bird shot too. I tried Winchester too, but I don't think my gun likes Winchester they wouldn't cycle at all. In total I went through about 200 rounds, most of which were 00 buck , and slugs. My last mag, 2 00 buck rounds didn't cycle. Is this a gas issue, or does this gun need more of a break in. Would the after market gas plug, or puck help? Thanks all.

Bruh44,

I am currently working through these issues myself, and will be testing it on Saturday.

In order for anyone to help you, more info should probably be provided.

1. What are your current parts installed on the S-12?
  2. Have you checked your Gas ports for both blockage and proper hole size?
  3. Have you reshaped your hammer to prevent excessive resistance when the bolt carrier is moved rearward?
  4. Have you performed the "extractor slot fix"
  5. Have you polished your bolt and carrier?
  6. What Modifications have you performed?

I'm sure if you answer these questions others (more knowledgable than me) will chime in and help

Good Luck

TYBOY

Edited by TYBOY

If it is in stock configuration, contact Cadiz Gun Works for a free waranty service. They are a business member here. Click on their member page and you should find details about returning your gun to them for service. Your gun should cycle Federal Bulk flawlessly. More than likely you have a gas system problem.

If it is in stock configuration, contact Cadiz Gun Works for a free waranty service. They are a business member here. Click on their member page and you should find details about returning your gun to them for service. Your gun should cycle Federal Bulk flawlessly. More than likely you have a gas system problem.

This ^

This may start a flame fest, but I think "break in" is a myth. My S12 was unfired when I bought it. I did everything could find in this forum that I thought would make it run and fired 10 rounds with a couple FTEs. I pressed onward with mods and a little more input, and it ran fine after that. If it takes "break in" for a S12 to run.... then 10 rounds is plenty.

Usually, FTE = not enough gas

I bought mine and converted it before even firing it. Surprisingly, it ran great and I only experienced stovepiping issues with one particular Surefire 12 rounder. I ran everything through it, slug, buck, target loads, duck loads, 2 3/4" and 3". Just that one pesky mag. I think the break in is a myth as well, more of an excuse why the gun doesn't run right.

It all depends on how much $ you're wiling to spend to get the kind of performance you're looking for in your S-12. Even if your gun has 3 unobstructed ports, you should expect an occasional FTE with Federal birdshot.

If you're looking for

with all brands of low-brass, (also with high-brass without accelerated wear), you could send your gun down to Mike at Lone Star Arms. It's not particularly cheap, but the work he does on S-12's is unique.

Bruh44,

I am currently working through these issues myself, and will be testing it on Saturday.

In order for anyone to help you, more info should probably be provided.

1. What are your current parts installed on the S-12?
  2. Have you checked your Gas ports for both blockage and proper hole size?
  3. Have you reshaped your hammer to prevent excessive resistance when the bolt carrier is moved rearward?
  4. Have you performed the "extractor slot fix"
  5. Have you polished your bolt and carrier?
  6. What Modifications have you performed?

I'm sure if you answer these questions others (more knowledgable than me) will chime in and help

Good Luck

TYBOY

I'm not 100% but I believe all of this was done. It's a converted S12 from Cadiz Gun Works. I guess I'll just contact them and find out.

thanks all.