What Kind of Ammo Should I use to "Break It In"?

I recently purchased a Saiga-12 in stock "Sportsman" configuration and have done absolutely nothing to it.

It has a 19" barrel and has 4 gas ports.

What type of 12 gauge ammunition should I run through it to "Break it in"?

Birdshot, 00 Buck, Slugs?

And what ammo would most likely function almost flawlessly through it?

I just looked for the cheapest high brass I could find. In my case it ended up being Estate High Velocity game loads. 1 1/4oz, 3 3/4 DRAM I can't remember the FPS exactly but it was over 1300 FPS. I ended up paying $8.99 per 25, which was cheapest by far, and they ran perfect, even in my undergassed gun.

I just looked for the cheapest high brass I could find. In my case it ended up being Estate High Velocity game loads. 1 1/4oz, 3 3/4 DRAM I can't remember the FPS exactly but it was over 1300 FPS. I ended up paying $8.99 per 25, which was cheapest by far, and they ran perfect, even in my undergassed gun.

Thanks for the info dude!

What does DRAM mean?

I'll look for those and try those out

I used Winchester superX buckshot, 2.75 inch and some hibrass birdshot, I forgot the name. About a box or 2. After that, I would cycle winchester AA supersport clay shot fine on setting 2.

After getting a 3rd port drilled under warranty, I tried cheap federal birdshot and it cycles well.

I'll need to break mine in too when it gets here. Seems like a crapshoot how each will fire or whether they even cycle. I'm just going to polish some of the moving thingys that run on the dohicky that does kittywampus. I'm really hoping to break it in with a ton of big box mart value packs. I guess polishing works to break it in?

I used Winchester superX buckshot, 2.75 inch and some hibrass birdshot, I forgot the name. About a box or 2. After that, I would cycle winchester AA supersport clay shot fine on setting 2.

After getting a 3rd port drilled under warranty, I tried cheap federal birdshot and it cycles well.

Thank you for that info!

I'll try some super X and try to find some hi brass birdshot

I'll need to break mine in too when it gets here. Seems like a crapshoot how each will fire or whether they even cycle. I'm just going to polish some of the moving thingys that run on the dohicky that does kittywampus. I'm really hoping to break it in with a ton of big box mart value packs. I guess polishing works to break it in?

Yeah I agree its like rolling dice you never know what you are going to get. People have told me all sorts of different ammo I guess all Saigas are different.

Yep! Everyone DOES agree on one thing, polishing DOES make everything smoother. Im 18 and I dont have any dremels or power tools besides a drill so I cant do much polishing.

Four gas ports? Most have just three and "vodka specials" have two. Does a weapon with four gas ports even need to be "broken in"?

every firearm I have ever owned needed "broke in"....tiny burs from machining or forging need to be smoothed out....I suggest get a Gunfixr Gas Plug and 200-300 rounds of any hi brass load...shoot 25 round using the least amount of gas possible....-1 +1 on the plug...clean and repeat....after that if it does not cycle cheap shit look into what is the problem...does it need warranty work....remember the Russians never designed it to shoot wally world bulk pack....my personal s-12 will cycle low power 2 3/4 loads on +1 and full power 2 3/4 loads on -1...thats the way I personally want my shotgun to run

Hey ozone, if you have a vice then you could most definitely polish the parts that need it the most. Clamp that drill of yours in the vice and zip tie the trigger on. Polishing and grinding bits are very inexpensive and anything you need to do the job can be acquired with 3/32 or 1/4 inch shanks on them (the part you chuck in the drill). Small files, emery boards, and sandpaper will also do the trick. When I was 18 I barely had shit for tools but I had a shit load of time and elbow grease. Break that saiga in first, then disassemble and look at the wear marks/contact areas. Those are the most important parts to smooth. No ftfs or ftes, before you know it you'll be goin through shells faster than you can buy them.

Four gas ports? Most have just three and "vodka specials" have two. Does a weapon with four gas ports even need to be "broken in"?

every firearm I have ever owned needed "broke in"....tiny burs from machining or forging need to be smoothed out....I suggest get a Gunfixr Gas Plug and 200-300 rounds of any hi brass load...shoot 25 round using the least amount of gas possible....-1 +1 on the plug...clean and repeat....after that if it does not cycle cheap shit look into what is the problem...does it need warranty work....remember the Russians never designed it to shoot wally world bulk pack....my personal s-12 will cycle low power 2 3/4 loads on +1 and full power 2 3/4 loads on -1...thats the way I personally want my shotgun to run

Sweet I'll look into the gunfixr plug and thanks for the info!

Hey ozone, if you have a vice then you could most definitely polish the parts that need it the most. Clamp that drill of yours in the vice and zip tie the trigger on. Polishing and grinding bits are very inexpensive and anything you need to do the job can be acquired with 3/32 or 1/4 inch shanks on them (the part you chuck in the drill). Small files, emery boards, and sandpaper will also do the trick. When I was 18 I barely had shit for tools but I had a shit load of time and elbow grease. Break that saiga in first, then disassemble and look at the wear marks/contact areas. Those are the most important parts to smooth. No ftfs or ftes, before you know it you'll be goin through shells faster than you can buy them.

Awesome, I have a vice and I got the spare time and elbow grease and mechanical experience and files and sandpaper to do my best!

I'll break it in with some buckshot and then inspect it as you recommended. Can't wait, thanks a lot!

Any ammo will breeak it in......eventually. But high brass stuff seems to do the job quicker. By the time you pay for the extra low brass rounds, you could have just got fewer high brass ones and been done with it. Ask me how I know. LOL Still, it's fun to shoot, so I didn't mind. I just had to deal with FTEs a bit longer.

Polshing the action made a huge difference for me.

Edited by Corbin