How many of Jesse Jackson's supporters know as much about success as a kindergardner who has had this story read to them?

The story of the little engine has been told and retold many times. The underlying theme however is the same - a stranded train is unable to find an engine willing to take it on over difficult terrain to its destination. Only the little blue engine is willing to try, and while repeating the mantra "I think I can, I think I can" overcomes a seemingly impossible task.

An early version goes as follows;

A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill "I can't; that is too much a pull for me," said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I--think--I--can, I--think--I--can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could."

Edited by Bounce12
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pauly, since you asked, and I don't mind telling, I'm happy to answer your post and your questions. I don't want to hijack the other thread anymore.       Yes       Yes     My parents w

Posted Images

Second, I don't believe in the word "can't." Fuck can't. When you become DETERMINED, the only question left to answer is "HOW?" Can't has nothing to do with anything and it literally doesn't exist - seriously.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

These words are what got me through nursing school. 27 year old with a shatered back from a fall in construction for 13 years. Between the poverty and depression

it was hard as hell. I barley got through High school but when putting yourself through college is a good motivater. Finished 2nd in a class of 60. 3.89GPA. There is

nothing and I mean nothing that could ever come close to seeing the pride my parents had at graduation. Never will I forget that.

Tonight I will have my son read this and I will talk to him about it. Too many kids don't know what it is to struggle. I hold a director's position for the state of Pa. and do

consulting on the side. Hope to retire in 10 and do consulting 100%. Thanks for your reality. I dont look at it as a STORY.

Edited by whitetrashrn

Second, I don't believe in the word "can't." Fuck can't. When you become DETERMINED, the only question left to answer is "HOW?" Can't has nothing to do with anything and it literally doesn't exist - seriously.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

These words are what got me through nursing school. 27 year old with a shatered back from a fall in construction for 13 years. Between the poverty and depression

it was hard as hell. I barley got through High school but when putting yourself through college is a good motivater. Finished 2nd in a class of 60. 3.89GPA. There is

nothing and I mean nothing that could ever come close to seeing the pride my parents had at graduation. Never will I forget that.

Tonight I will have my son read this and I will talk to him about it. Too many kids don't know what it is to struggle. I hold a director's position for the state of Pa. and do

consulting on the side. Hope to retire in 10 and do consulting 100%. Thanks for your reality. I dont look at it as a STORY.

Outstanding. Congratulations. Once people realize that if they dig in and refuse to cede to shitty conditions, once a person realizes that pain and suffering and struggle (AND FAILURE) are just minor details on the road to success, once one focuses ONLY on the objective and achieving goals, once they start focusing on what they CAN DO and what they Do have to work with and they stop listening to all the stinkin' thinkin' out there (and in their own heads) they will realize that all the BS is just minor details - sauce for the goose.

Once one does that, they will have no need for the poverty pimps. They will realize their future is in THEIR hands, not the hands of some company or union or government official. ALL of those will suddenly appear as needless and, in fact, a hinderance.

I salute you.

Edited by Bounce12

BOUNCE FOR PRESIDENT in 2012

It's interesting how ideas of productivity and success and prospertiy and personal responsibility will automatically gravitate you toward one political ideology (in my case, Reagan conservatism) and repel you from others (in my case - ALL others).

It works in reverse, too. You can tell a lot about the ideas roaming around in someone's head about all these things by asking them one simple question - "Who'd you vote for?"

Edited by Bounce12

I'd vote for my neighbors dog if he could stop the bleeding and put this country back on track. Like was said before, people think that they are OWED every damn thing. I don't owe them a damn thing, accept maybe a swift kick in the ass, but that would most likely cause brain damage to most and then I'd be in deeper shit and paying them more money to sit on their ass and whine about what they don't have. I'm not rich by no means, but I do work for what I have, 6-7 days a week.

Spending OP's money may be fun for some, but it will eventually run out, then what are you going to do? Go steal some more? I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how people are owed this and owed that.

I think I'm owed the right to NOT have to support their lazy worthless ass when they make the decision to NOT tote their own weight. I have nothing against helping someone that TRUELY needs the help, but it shouldn't be a never ending thing.

Great perseverance bounce and great story, thanks for sharing, I too have had a hard life, one that many would have gave up a long time ago, that's what makes us stronger. But you did these great feats in a time of plenty. If you tried that cowboy real state move now, well you couldn't because most banks aren't loaning, but if they where that market has crashed. The bottom line is, when people don't have jobs, any kind of job, even those jobs that everyone says, let the Chinese, or Mexicans have, they can't pay for things like rent, food, cars, guns! I once went three weeks without a single bite of food, can't happen in this country, bullshit! People do act like pigs, but many handle their business and go forward through their life's putting those hardships behind them only to draw on them when needed, like you did here in this thread. I'll say this, you'll find that even in the hardest of times there will be those who make their way, but what is sad is that our great nation, a once shining icon is being reduced to this state. Opportunity is the only reason for gain. You can't will success into existence just because your willpower is stronger than person next to you without opportunity. The system in which you pay the game must allow for gains or there will be no growth.

Great perseverance bounce and great story, thanks for sharing, I too have had a hard life, one that many would have gave up a long time ago, that's what makes us stronger. But you did these great feats in a time of plenty. If you tried that cowboy real state move now, well you couldn't because most banks aren't loaning, but if they where that market has crashed. The bottom line is, when people don't have jobs, any kind of job, even those jobs that everyone says, let the Chinese, or Mexicans have, they can't pay for things like rent, food, cars, guns! I once went three weeks without a single bite of food, can't happen in this country, bullshit! People do act like pigs, but many handle their business and go forward through their life's putting those hardships behind them only to draw on them when needed, like you did here in this thread. I'll say this, you'll find that even in the hardest of times there will be those who make their way, but what is sad is that our great nation, a once shining icon is being reduced to this state. Opportunity is the only reason for gain. You can't will success into existence just because your willpower is stronger than person next to you without opportunity. The system in which you pay the game must allow for gains or there will be no growth.

Good for you not stealing food during that three weeks. It must have been difficult.

Cameron, here's an idea for you to ponder... When I started my real estate foreclosure gig, NOBODY saw the opportunity that I did. Let me start farther back... when I was in college, I was so broke that I couldn't afford to even drive my VW Bug. I was on foot and on bike. I took those lemons and turned them into lemonade by competing in triathons and eventually ran the Boston Marathon. Where most people look out and see nothing but bullshit and pain, I saw an opportunity.

I did it again with the foreclosure gig. I was faced with the same exact conditions as many others. I had no money. I saw an ICE COLD real estate market, a shit load of foreclosures, many people with shit credit and pretty high interest rates (9% or so at the time).

Many people would look at that and say, "FUCK IT, there's no opportunity there." I took those conditions and turned it into a great deal for many people. Where everyone else saw SHIT, I saw opportunity.

Here's my point... Once people learn to think differently, they will see opportunity where others see crap. And this leads me to one of my fundamental rules of success:

If you want to change your life, you must FIRST change the way you think.

Once you dump the foggles and learn to look out at life through a different lens, you will see shit that you were blind to before. The opportunity exists now, just like it existed for me before.

In fact, I am getting so sick of people telling me that there is no opportunity that I have half a mind to start from ZERO AGAIN (not use any of my resources) and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. The problem is, there will still be a crowd out there who will tell me it isn't possible.

Sitting here reading this... I think I may take my 18 year old daughter - who has no money and can't qualify for a bank loan - and show her how she can buy her own house (personally for her to live in) and maybe a rental or two for income to pay her house payments for her.

I am pretty sure I can show my daughter how she can take THESE conditions, acquire her own house and acquire enough rental property to make her payments for her!

Here is another hard and fast rule of truth:

Knowledge is more important and powerful than money.

We may take this on as a summer-school project. Fuck the idea that is can't be done. Fuck "can't!" LIKE HELL IT CAN'T!

If you tried that cowboy real state move now, well you couldn't because most banks aren't loaning, but if they where that market has crashed.

OK, let's stop right fucking there and talk about this.

So, in your mind's eye (what you see as you survey the landscape) the big problem is that the banks won't lend any money to buy these foreclosures, right?

Why is it that I sit here reading your post, I can think of a BRILLIANT way of turning that into a money making deal? Shit man, this is as plain to me as the nose on your face. (figuratively speaking - since I can't see you)

Where is the pain? Then, how can you fix it? That's what you have to think about. Where is the pain? Well, I am going to check around over the next few months, but I will be looking for a middle-class neighborhood with several FOR SALE signs on every street. Something tells me THAT won't be hard to find. I want a situation where the all the owners see those same signs. That's half the battle. I need he owners to feel and/or be helpless. I am NOT looking for a "house" per-se, but a motivated owner who doesn't want to be an owner anymore. I want to find the guy who cannot stand the sight of his house anymore because it has become an albatros and an anchor around his neck. Moreover, I want to find an owner THAT HAS NOT LISTED their property with a realtor yet. I want to find the guy BEFORE he tries to sell or an owner that has a FSBO sign in his lawn. You have to stay AWAY from situations where realtors are involved (for a myriad of reasons).

Once I find a neighborhood like that, I will probably make a flyer (bright color background and shaped in a way that it cannot get lost in the junk mail - triangle, circle or hexagon) that says I am interested in acquiring their house and send it to everyone in the entire neighborhood and then let that guy call me.

Look, here's the reason the bank not lending is MEANINGLESS - every single property in the country already has financing on it! Every property is already owned by someone. You don't have to REFINANCE in an ice cold market. Because the owner can't sell (or thinks they can't) many want to just get out from under their payments. So, I will offer them a deal (the exact opposite of what I did when I offered the financing) and I will agree to use THEIR EXISTING FINANCING. We may very well be able to save their credit by saving them the foreclosure.

So, my basic idea is to find an owner who is willing to leave their property letting my daughter take over their payments. I will explain to the current owner that my daughter will need five years to get her credit in order to refinance his loan. We agree to take over his loan and pay it off completely within five years. If he won't go for that I'll let him jew me down to three years, but we need at least that long. He gets NO CASH, because my daughter doesn't have any to give him, but she relieves him of his payments right now and saves him an inevitable foreclosure.

I guarantee you I can find more than one owner like that. Then, we find a couple more to turn into rentals with enough cash flow to make her payments on the house she's living in. If it still isn't quite enough, she can take on a room mate or two in the house she's living in to cover the whole thing. If we can pull that off, and I'm quite sure we can in THIS environment, she will own three houses for NO MONEY of her own and be living for free in her own house.

LOOK, IT TAKES SHIT CONDITIONS TO CREATE SELLERS WILLING TO DO THIS. YOU NEED SHIT CONDITIONS TO DO THIS! IT TAKES SHIT CONDITIONS TO GET SELLERS TO AGREE TO TERMS LIKE THIS. SHIT CONDITIONS ARE YOUR FRIEND WHEN YOU LEARN HOW TO THINK PROPERLY.

I should be charging $1000 a post for ideas like this. This idea alone could make any one of you wealthy.

Edited by Bounce12

Well, my credit isn't all so hot, (unpaid tickets in collections) so your deal ain't gonna do it for me, but i figured "shit" & decided to pull the trigger on something...

Been thinking of a steel fab business specializing in 4X4 armor. Not the gay shit that looks tough, but thick-ass armor.

Well it just so happens that a few people in one of the local 4X clubs want to take me up on my ideas, & I'm about to start a new style of bumpers / air tanks something like a combination of these pictured below...

CJ_Front_Bumper.jpghanson_jr51302p.jpgheader-2.jpgcrookedcreek147.jpg

The previous ones I have made were just random friends asking me & making a little on the side, but they were jeeps, so simple, these are a little tougher, but command a premium price....

We'll see how it works....

I have my first of a line of customers,

S6300601.jpg

She put a $300.00 deposit (& I bought the sheet of steel with it)

S6300606.jpg

I have the tools....

Shop.jpg

And some of the deposit left over for some of the rest I need to buy...

S6300608.jpg

So lets see if this can work out if I start in my off time. ^_^

Ain't gonna quit my day night job but let's see if I can get this shit rolling.

If I do, I'll owe you a beer.

I've been seriously thinking about it, but you got me thinking harder.

Gotta go now, need to get out & find some parts for this bey-atch.

& I ain't running it by my pops, because he's one of those downers that you were talking about... I'll surprise him :rolleyes:

Pauly, don't forget, free advertising by posting your work on local 4x boards. My buddy did a similar thing and he is getting busier all the time.

Bounce, you are something to aspire to sir. Since I met you and we spoke about some of the stuff in this thread I have been spreading "the word of Bounce" and people around me are really starting to think about life. I am now to the point where I hate my fucking job and want to better my life so I suppose my journey starts here.

clear-your-mind-of-cant.jpg

Well, my credit isn't all so hot, (unpaid tickets in collections) so your deal ain't gonna do it for me, but i figured "shit" & decided to pull the trigger on something...

Been thinking of a steel fab business specializing in 4X4 armor. Not the gay shit that looks tough, but thick-ass armor.

Well it just so happens that a few people in one of the local 4X clubs want to take me up on my ideas, & I'm about to start a new style of bumpers / air tanks something like a combination of these pictured below...

CJ_Front_Bumper.jpghanson_jr51302p.jpgheader-2.jpgcrookedcreek147.jpg

The previous ones I have made were just random friends asking me & making a little on the side, but they were jeeps, so simple, these are a little tougher, but command a premium price....

We'll see how it works....

I have my first of a line of customers,

S6300601.jpg

She put a $300.00 deposit (& I bought the sheet of steel with it)

S6300606.jpg

I have the tools....

Shop.jpg

And some of the deposit left over for some of the rest I need to buy...

S6300608.jpg

So lets see if this can work out if I start in my off time. ^_^

Ain't gonna quit my day night job but let's see if I can get this shit rolling.

If I do, I'll owe you a beer.

I've been seriously thinking about it, but you got me thinking harder.

Gotta go now, need to get out & find some parts for this bey-atch.

& I ain't running it by my pops, because he's one of those downers that you were talking about... I'll surprise him :rolleyes:

Here, print this out and tape it to your garage door. And get to work. 032.gif027.gif

post-15138-12719631627555_thumb.jpg

Jesus man, sometimes I want to pull my freaking hair out.

I am NOT throwing cold water on what you want to do, but instead on your statement.

Where in my post does it seem to you that it takes credit? Seriously, my 18 year-old daughter has no credit and no cash. She has nothing but my ideas (and my help to talk to the owners).

I just offered an idea of how an 18 year old girl with nothing could own several houses in this environment and that deal won't work for you BECAUSE YOUR CREDIT SUCKS?

Are you kidding? Please say you are.

I am now to the point where I hate my fucking job and want to better my life so I suppose my journey starts here.

That's what it takes - EMOTION. Seriously. It took the emotion of PURE HATE for my situation and BLOOD CURDLING FEAR that things would never change to lite a fire under my ass.

Dude! I just realized... I even know of a house or two in Phoenix that you could start with.

I am now to the point where I hate my fucking job and want to better my life so I suppose my journey starts here.

That's what it takes - EMOTION. Seriously. It took the emotion of PURE HATE for my situation and BLOOD CURDLING FEAR that things would never change to lite a fire under my ass.

Dude! I just realized... I even know of a house or two in Phoenix that you could start with.

Sweet, feel free to pm me details

Jesus man, sometimes I want to pull my freaking hair out.

I am NOT throwing cold water on what you want to do, but instead on your statement.

Where in my post does it seem to you that it takes credit? Seriously, my 18 year-old daughter has no credit and no cash. She has nothing but my ideas (and my help to talk to the owners).

I just offered an idea of how an 18 year old girl with nothing could own several houses in this environment and that deal won't work for you BECAUSE YOUR CREDIT SUCKS?

Are you kidding? Please say you are.

Actually I was referring to how you did it, using your good credit to get loans to buy foreclosed houses & carry loans.:mellow:

As for how you'r telling her how to do it, I wasn't referring to that. That's a great idea. :up:

Different scenarios altogether.

Here, print this out and tape it to your garage door. And get to work. 032.gif027.gif

post-15138-12719631627555_thumb.jpg

WOW! :up:

Thanks! :beer:

That would print cheap too! 1 color black & 1/2 tones... It looks SWEET!

I couldn't have asked for a better design.

Tired, must sleep now.

Edited by Paulyski
Actually I was referring to how you did it, using your good credit to get loans to buy foreclosed houses & carry loans.:mellow:

As for how you'r telling her how to do it, I wasn't referring to that. That's a great idea. :up:

Different scenarios altogether.

I want to repeat a couple of salient points that I just mentioned to someone in a PM...

You don't have to be debt free to create wealth.

You don't have to have money to create wealth.

You don't have to have good credit to create wealth.

The only things YOU HAVE TO HAVE reside in your mind.

The real problem most people have is that they KNOW TOO DAMN MUCH - and what they know is mostly bullshit, but they don't know that.

WOW! :up:

Thanks! :beer:

That would print cheap too! 1 color black & 1/2 tones... It looks SWEET!

I couldn't have asked for a better design.

Tired, must sleep now.

Pauly,

i am glad you like the logo.Take it and run with it.

Bounce,

Your life history is truly inspirational. You also have a gift for motivational speaking.

I could have lived without the "jew em down" reference but hell, you're a goyem - I still think your great.

You have offered a few excellent "words to live by" phrases but please permit me to offer one more

to all of those who are reading this thread.

Success is the best revenge!

I could have lived without the "jew em down" reference but hell, you're a goyem - I still think your great.

This one left me chuckling... As I've stated many times in the past, I'd stand shoulder to shoulder with the Israelis any day against the threats they face.

The fact is, "Jews" have proven to be excellent negotiators. I'm not Jewish, but I don't think I'd take offense to that if I was. IMO, it ought to be taken as a matter of pride!

blah blah blah

SO basically, you found some crooked banker to help fund sure things off the backs of poor shnooks with bad credit... That sir, makes you a parasite in my book, not some fucking hero.

Sorry to break up the circle-jerk in this thread. :smoke:

Here is part of a reply I made to a PM. It might help someone understand more about what I'm trying to say:

Look, here's my basic observation on human nature: For some reason, people are more than willing to let others tell them what can't be done. I'm not sure WHY that is, but I find that talking people out of that programming can be a very difficult task. Once ideas are set, humans are openly resistant to changing them.

The one thing that sets me apart from most people is that I sank far enough down to unleash the power of emotion. There is NOTHING as powerful as that. I was really angry at the situation I found myself in and I was scared shitless that nothing would change. Those two emotions (fear and anger) are what it took to get me to ignore the natural FEAR OF FAILURE that we all have. I wasn't afraid of failing anymore because I had nothing left to lose (financially speaking). I was in a place where failure wouldn't have been any worse than what has already happened to me.

It seems strange, but in a big way I needed the pain. It generated the emotions that then led me to find the strength that we all have but tend to ignore most of the time.

This is a short fable that I have heard and told many times. It's obviously fantasy, but the moral to the story is clear:

Two young boys took part in a scientific experiment. The scientists put each boy in a room filled with horse maneur, watched through some one-way glass and recorded their observations.

When they put the first boy in the room, he immediately saw the maneur, covered his nose, ran to the corner and gasped and cried his eyes out at the obvious torture he was being subjected to. After a couple of minutes, the scientists opened the door and let him out.

Then, they put the second boy in the same room. He saw the big pile of maneur, got a huge smile on his face, dove in and started digging on his hands and knees all over the room. Horse shit was flying everywhere.

After a few minutes they released the second boy and sat them both down for a debrief of their experiences. They asked the first what he thought of the whole thing. He said, sobbing, "I can't BELIEVE you tortured me like that. What are you trying to do, KILL ME? That was horrible. That was terrible! I couldn't even breathe!"

Then, they asked the second boy what he thought. He said with glee, "When I saw all that horse poop, I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A PONY IN THERE SOMEWHERE!"

Bounce, how the fuck did you ever decide on what it was that you wanted to do?

Sorry, SuperA, I missed this.

I assume you're talking about real estate???

I didn't "want" to do RE. I don't like RE. I'm not interested in RE.

The ONLY thing RE was/is to me is a venue where I happened to see opportunity. Moreover, once I learned more about it, I found that I wasn't really involved in RE at all... I was using credit and other peoples' money to solve yet other peoples' pain. RE is only a side-issue to that. If you read my posts closely, you'll see that. Does that make sense?

Ha! Bounce does not ask that question idly, I would wager.

Indeed, you are correct!

Any time I hear stories of absolute DOOM AND GLOOM my ears perk up. Sniff, sniff... I smell opportunity.

Cameron, I was going to wait for your response before I launched with this, but this is the first thing I thought of when I read your post...

"What would I do in a totally fucked up commercial market?"

SHIIIIIIT man, there's gold in them hills, buddy!

This is how MY MIND sees this:

1) There are many businesses in your area that are doing fine. As you drive (or walk) the streets, look at whose parking lot has cars in it. There are still people working and businesses operating. Who are they? Don't focus on who didn't make it, but who IS MAKING IT RIGHT NOW.

2) Another approach would be to go through the Yellow Pages looking only at "industries," specifically, recession-proof industries. Go page by page through the yellow pages looking at industries that are doing FINE right now. Ask yourself this question: If I was a property owner, which industry would I want my tenant to be in? Which tenant would make me the MOST secure right now - and going forward if the economy gets even worse.

3) I guarantee you that after searching through the entire yellow pages, you will have two or three industries that are very recession proof - or at least recession resistant.

4) Go BACK into the yellow pages now, looking at only those industries and find the top three dawgs in your area in each industry. Rank order those businesses in the order that you would prefer that THEY were YOUR tenant.

5) Do some drive-bys. Drive by each business and see what you think. Who has the best business model? Who has the best appearance for their customers? Here's the big question: WHO WOULD YOU MOST PREFER AS A TENANT? Which would make YOU the most secure if they were renting from you?

6) Make appointments with the owners. Tell them that you are impressed with their business model and would like to know if they're interested in growing. If their industry is recession resistant, they may very well be booming right now and want to grow - but just don't have any idea how to do it when banks aren't lending.

7) Out of all the choices on your list, I can virtually guarantee you that at least ONE of them would be willing to rent from you IF you could find them a new location.

8) Take them with you when looking at all the defunct commercial real estate. There should be some GREAT locations available if commercial RE really is as bad as you describe. You should have a great variety of properties to choose from.

9) Ask the prospective tenant what they could afford to pay you for each specific property. That way, you will know your income numbers going in. Once you know your income, you can easily calculate how much you can afford to pay for any given spot.

10) Let's say that you find the tenant and you find a property. The tenant is in a recession resistant industry and you've found a location they can operate out of. They're willing to rent it from you at a price that works for you. Get ready, now it's time to use your mind....

WHERE DO YOU FIND THE MONEY TO PURCHASE THIS PROPERTY?

I want two or three good ideas before I spill my beans on how I'd do it. It's time to start thinking creatively.

ANYONE CAN ANSWER! Let me know you're thinking. Think and RESPOND!