Atlantic AK-74 rifle package

Hi y'all;

New to the forum, love it. spent the last 2 days researching the 5.45 rifles. I have finally decided thats the caliber for me. Now the $64,000 question, which rifle, I know this is the Saiga forum but what do y'all think of the Atlantic AK-74 rifle package RR ? They stated that the barrel was 5.45 and not 223(key-holing), but I forgot to ask if it was made by Century. I would prefer to stay a way from there products. I like the Saiga, my friend has a 308 and I enjoy playing with it. But the mag costs and the cost of 922 seam to out way the inexpensive cost of the rifle. I have about $600.00 to play with and I want to get the best rifle I can. Any info/help would be much appreciated.

Saiga 5.45 + basic Tapco conversion kit = $512 shipped from MississippiAutoArms

Add another $30 for a bullet guide from Dinzag. That puts the cost of the converted rifle at under $550 if you do the conversion yourself... and mags are only about 15 bucks each.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-545x39-w163-inch-barrel-iz240-p-1288.html

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-pistol-grip-conversion-kit-w-tapco-ak-original-stock-p-945.html

Thats not a bad option if your not gonna build it yourself..

But be prepared to return it.. Lancaster used to have a great reputation but quality controls been a bit iffy lately. Might get atlantic to look over it before they send it to you if possible. I personally have a lancaster ak-47 and I love it, but I've heard some bad things from time to time.

AIMsurplus has Bulgarian surplus 5.45 magazines for 10 bucks each if you order 4 or more. Also, every group of four comes with a free magazine pouch. I ordered mine and just got them today, didn't know about the mag pouch till I got em :D

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, Lancaster now has a big recall of their 74s. Seems they outsourced the builds. They ended up with receivers that stretch (gas port too big) and some keyholers. Recall list is on their website. Also a number of guys on The High Road forum have had these problems, too. Do a search for Lancaster 74 problems...

Several of us have purchased the Atlantic Bulgy builds for $350 and there have been no complaints. Built on a Nodak Spud receiver with a Tapco G2 FCG - I like mine! FWIW, Century isn't too bad, it's Olympic that I've been told to avoid, they had a bunch of units out there built on 5.56 barrels that keyholed like crazy.

Edited by blkgunlvr

Several of us have purchased the Atlantic Bulgy builds for $350 and there have been no complaints. Built on a Nodak Spud receiver with a Tapco G2 FCG - I like mine! FWIW, Century isn't too bad, it's Olympic that I've been told to avoid, they had a bunch of units out there built on 5.56 barrels that keyholed like crazy.

EVERYONE loved their Lancaster 74s...until stuff began to happen. No damage is showing up until after 300-400 rounds downrange. First tipoff is dust cover keeps popping off. Check for bent trunion and oblong rivet holes, and some are still getting keyholed targets.

<Link Removed>

<Link Removed>

Good Luck!

Edited by Nailbomb
Links to Non-Buisness Members Removed

Please Note... there have been changes made to the rules regarding posting links to Non-Buisness members.

This is a ripe old thread, and thats why I'm leaving the rest of this, But I expect members to be a bit more up to date than '08.