Gas block and FSB conversion

I was just wondering if and how difficult would it be to install a romanian 45 degree gas block on a saiga, since I can't seem to find a bulgarian or russian gas block? Would the romanian gas block even work on the saiga. I was also wondering if its possible to install the FSB you find on regular AKM's. Here's some pictures of the gas block and FSB i'm talking about

post-21779-12723405591695_thumb.jpg

post-21779-12723405717102_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is possible to change the blocks. The factory ones are pressed on with a machine and get cut off with a Dremel. To remove the front sight block you also need to remove the sleeve. I am going to change my front sight block this weekend or early next week, I'll take some pictures.

Edited by Klassy Kalashnikov

I hear ya on the "hard to find thing".

There were Bulgarian gas blocks and FSBs for sale in the for sale section, but I think they were for the 5.45s.

Edited by Corbin

Yeah, I haven't seen any bulgarian for sale anywhere, but you can find the romanian gas blocks pretty easy. Just be 100% you are saying that the romanian gasblocks are interchangeable right? Also on that part about removing the sleeve wouldn't it all just come off together since its all just one piece? Or do you have to cut the sleeve from the FSB for some reason in order to get the whole thing off?

the bulgarian parts for sale in the WTS section will fit the 7.62 i have a bulgy FSB and it slides over my factory threaded barrel with a little excess room in the thread area. I havent installed it yet, since I haven't got my brake yet. I do not have a bulgy GB but i have a bulgy retainer which sits closer to the receiver and it fits fine so I would presume the GBs also fit.

Also, the GB you are showing is a 45degree instead of the 90degree the saigas come with. It is an older style and I am not sure if it will function proper on your rifle.

To use a 45-degree gas block on a Saiga 7.62x39 would be to devolve the rifle. Your Saiga isn't an AKM, it's a (partially neutered) AK-103. It needs a 90-degree gas block.

If you can't find one for sale atm, I'd hold off on my project until I could find a proper 90-degree block, one with an intact accessory lug would be even better.

To use a 45-degree gas block on a Saiga 7.62x39 would be to devolve the rifle. Your Saiga isn't an AKM, it's a (partially neutered) AK-103. It needs a 90-degree gas block.

If you can't find one for sale atm, I'd hold off on my project until I could find a proper 90-degree block, one with an intact accessory lug would be even better.

I like the krebs with the ar sight

I like the krebs with the ar sight

if you are looking at the one made for a barrel 0.786 in diameter, that is for a shotgun sized barrel and would be to large for a 7.62.

Edited by GregM1

Yeah, I guess I'll hold off and just leave my saiga as is. It seems most parts on the rifle are based off the 74 and not the 47 so it'd probably be best to scratch the whole gas block change. I guess if I want an AKM it's probably best just do buy one as is. Thanks for all the input.

Yeah, I guess I'll hold off and just leave my saiga as is. It seems most parts on the rifle are based off the 74 and not the 47 so it'd probably be best to scratch the whole gas block change. I guess if I want an AKM it's probably best just do buy one as is. Thanks for all the input.

Nah man, don't give up on your idea.. it's a good one. You'll just have to put it on the proverbial back-burner until some more 90-degree gas blocks show up, (most likely Bulgarian), for sale.

If I were you, I'd keep checking K-Var's website. They're out of stock on the model with the intact accessory lug, but that's only temporary.

did you see in the WTS section, $25 for bulgarian gas blocks with lugs.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=53145

Ya'll are missing what I was saying, I'm wanting the 45 degree gas block. I was wanting to turn it into more of an AKM instead of the 74, but after some thinking I don't want to tamper with it because its shoots great as is. I'm just hoping now they come out with that slr 108.

^ I see. :huh:

ditto, i missed that part of it too.

now i understand why you were so interested in changing the GB. i personally dont see a point to changing the factory block on a saiga just for sake of a lug. its not like we can ever get grenades to shoot out of it. however, for looks, i go will go to extremes too. i just found (what i call a good deal)a plum 7.62 mag for 65$. to bad its bulgy instead of izzy, that would have really made my day. either way, i will finally have a plum mag for my plum gun. :super:

• 1 year later...

First post. Like EreadM, I am wanting to convert my Saiga into an AK47/AKM style rifle. While I understand most would consider this 'devolving' the rifle, it is because I like the 'classic' look and enjoy a challenge. So in addition to adding a 45 degree gas block, I will also be threading the barrel to 14 x 1 LH to add a slant brake. Again, not because it is easier or works better (neither of which is true), but for how it looks.

Pretty much this right here is what I want to build (922r compliant of course):

AKM_automatkarbin%2C_Ryssland_-_7%2C62x39mm_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

I also realize this will be a lot of work, but its worth it to me to get the final product. Most likely I will buy an AKM gas block as its easier to find gas tubes without vent holes in them (not that I couldn't drill them, but let's not get crazy, eh?), it has the hole for the cleaning rod .

From what I can tell so far based on posts in this thread and other info on the interwebz, an AK47 or AKM block will work, provided a new port is drilled in the barrel - am I understanding that correctly? And it *has* to be at a 45 degree angle as well? Or just relocated? Any blue prints or exploded diagrams anywhere that show this? Hell, I'd be happy with a napkin drawing if ya got one... What about another thread where someone did it? I've searched the forum and this thread was as close as I could find to what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance,

Tex

There is a posting on gunbroker that is selling Bulgy FSB, GB, RSB & HG retainer for $115 plus freight. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270089283 I received mine the other day and they appeared to be new.

If you have a hyd press & drill press it real easy to mod your shooter! There is also this to make life easier in the removal/replacement of your parts: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93374&highlight=rforbus

Just drill out the dimples, press off, press new on, drill 3mm holes or #32 bit & little filing and your done! Without the possibility of cutting your barrel a la dremel!

• 1 month later...

FYI, I found another post here somewhere discussing pre-threaded barrels on Saiga 7.62x39's, so I went ahead and used my mini tubing cutter to remove about half of my FSB sleeve. My hand and wrist started to get sore, so I clamped a mini vise grip on the knob of the cutter that allowed me to spin it with my arm. Much to my delight were some perfect, factory threads in 14x1 LH and they were clean - no rust, no gunk. I took pics if anyone is interested.

As far as the actual gas blocks go, I am favoring the AKM style that has the bayo lug at the front instead of rear. APEX has a Polish version for $30 that seems like it will hold the cleaning rod better. Any reason why this would not work (aside from the gas port issue which I will fix)?

BTW, thanks for that gas block conversion link James, good find.

-tx