Ive been trying to find out if butterfly knives are illegal in Indiana, I finally found the state laws and apparently only automatic and ballistic knives and throwing stars are outlawed. I did find a bill making automatic knives legal dated for 2009 but it doesn't look like it made it into law. But is there some federal law against butterfly knives? Thanks guys

I don't believe there is a federal law against owning or buying a butterfly knife. I can go right down the street and buy one from a gas station right now if I wanted to. And there is plenty more places around to buy them. I would think local PD would have done something about it if it was illegal.

Seems Ive heard alot of crap about knife laws! I had no idea throwing stars were illegal and you can still buy them here. But I cant find any regulations about legal length, looks like even a sword would be ok to carry for self defense?

My L.E. buddy here in Pa told me: No longer than a 4" blade, no mechanical assist, no double edge, and use the pocket clip kind so it's not technically concealed. Thankfully that describes nearly every Spyderco ever made, so I'm good. If the "knuckle cutter" you're interested in meets those criteria, you should be good.

What I love is in NY the PENAL code states no automatic knives, etc... *BUT*... There is an exception if you are engaged in hunting, fishing, or trapping... and have your hunting/fishing/trapping license on you... THEN you can have a switchblade in your possession! GO FIGURE?!?!? :wacko:

:smoke:

My L.E. buddy here in Pa told me: No longer than a 4" blade, no mechanical assist, no double edge, and use the pocket clip kind so it's not technically concealed. Thankfully that describes nearly every Spyderco ever made, so I'm good. If the "knuckle cutter" you're interested in meets those criteria, you should be good.

thats some of the things I'd always heard here but its not a state law here or in PA. The PA law reads extremely vague but sounds even worse!

Funny thing is that in one of our CCW classes, we had two assistant DA's. I asked them about the knife carrying laws in NC and whether automatic knives are legal in NC and they had no idea.

What they did say was that if you got charged with anything knive related in NC, you probably did something more stupid than carry a knife and it was just tiki-tacked on.

Funny thing is that in one of our CCW classes, we had two assistant DA's. I asked them about the knife carrying laws in NC and whether automatic knives are legal in NC and they had no idea.

What they did say was that if you got charged with anything knive related in NC, you probably did something more stupid than carry a knife and it was just tiki-tacked on.

NC knife laws look pretty strict too, like some other states they cover almost everything under "concealed weapons" making anything but a plain pocket knife illegal. Pretty bogus I'd say! But yeah for the most part I doubt anyone would get charged without first doing something else much worse.