My first 'virgin' S12.... what should I do with it?

What do you recommend and please post why?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Well... what should I do with it?

• Convert and shorten barrel to 18 1/8"
    • Convert, get a SBS stamp, and shorten to 12 1/2"
    • Convert, get a SBS stamp and go 10" or less
  2. 2. Trigger guard options....

• Use the stock guard
    • Use an AK builder DIY traditional style guard
    • Use an ETAC guard
  3. 3. Stock options.....

• Scour the net for a Triangle folder
    • Scour the net for a solid folder
    • Get another AGP folder
    • Get an Ace folder.... the ultra short one

This isn't my first S12, but it is the first brand new unconverted S12 that I have bought. The other two were already converted. They conversions were performed OK, but I am meticulous and I think I can do a better job of it.

If you feel you are capable of doing a RELIABLE SBS job, by all means have at it. Just realize that if you screw it up, it'll probably cost you more to get it fixed than it would to have had the work done right to begin with. Having said that, I would think your first SBS job would be easier if you did the 12.5" job, since you wouldn't have to turn the barrel down and shorten the gas system. Understand though, unless you run high brass though it, or maybe even if you do, you'll probably want to open up the gas ports.

I imagine everyone's opinion on what you should do (including mine) would reflect what WE would do if it were our Saiga and fit OUR needs, not yours. The short ACE stock with folding mechanism and 1" pad works great on my S-12, but might feel too short for someone with longer arms. So it's hard to say what YOU should do there.

I PERSONALLY like the AK Builder TG, but my DIY Tromix is great too. That's more of a personal choice really. I doubt one has a distinct advantage over another.

Corbin

I would say before you spend money on mods, buys lots of mags and lots ammo, practice and then do the mods.

A pimped out saiga is useless without the mags and ammo.

Do these count as practice?

this

and this?

Well.... how many mags is enough? I have 2- 5 round Russians, 1- 8 round russian, 1- 10 round AGP, 3- 12 round SGM, and just ordered 5 MD20 drums. I would like to have some of the Promag 12 round drums, but I'm going to wait until all of my stuff ships from MD before I buy anymore mags. If I like the MD20s I may buy 5 more. Ooops.... I forgot about the doublestacks. Gotta have a few of those too. Come on Mike, we're pulling for you ;)

For the record, I bought my first S12 in January and I still consider myself a newbie. I appreciate the good advice.

If you feel you are capable of doing a RELIABLE SBS job, by all means have at it. Just realize that if you screw it up, it'll probably cost you more to get it fixed than it would to have had the work done right to begin with. Having said that, I would think your first SBS job would be easier if you did the 12.5" job, since you wouldn't have to turn the barrel down and shorten the gas system. Understand though, unless you run high brass though it, or maybe even if you do, you'll probably want to open up the gas ports.

I imagine everyone's opinion on what you should do (including mine) would reflect what WE would do if it were our Saiga and fit OUR needs, not yours. The short ACE stock with folding mechanism and 1" pad works great on my S-12, but might feel too short for someone with longer arms. So it's hard to say what YOU should do there.

I PERSONALLY like the AK Builder TG, but my DIY Tromix is great too. That's more of a personal choice really. I doubt one has a distinct advantage over another.

Corbin

I'm pretty good with my hands and I have machining experience. If I decide to go less than 12", I'll just buy a lathe and a good press. I actually have a few other things I could use them for too. I may just go 12" or 12.5" and see how I like it. I can make it run.

On stocks, I have long arms, but prefer shorter stocks. I like the feel of having the weapon close. I think I would like all of the choices I offered and it is purely a cosmetic choice for me. I really want a triangle folder. but they are hard to find. I have one of the AGP stocks and I like it, but want something different on this weapon. I have a SLR-107UR coming my way with the triangle. If I like it, I will just put something on the S12 for the meantime and hold out for a triangle folder.

The Tromix guard is fine, but I don't use SAW grips. Having machining experience, the ETAC does it for me :wub: , but I like the traditional AK look of the AKbuilder unit.

I would say before you spend money on mods, buys lots of mags and lots ammo, practice and then do the mods.

this

and this?

Well.... how many mags is enough? I have 2- 5 round Russians, 1- 8 round russian, 1- 10 round AGP, 3- 12 round SGM, and just ordered 5 MD20 drums. I would like to have some of the Promag 12 round drums, but I'm going to wait until all of my stuff ships from MD before I buy anymore mags. If I like the MD20s I may buy 5 more. Ooops.... I forgot about the doublestacks. Gotta have a few of those too. Come on Mike, we're pulling for you wink.gif

For the record, I bought my first S12 in January and I still consider myself a newbie. I appreciate the good advice.

Thats freakin practice if I may say so. That counts. You have a Bionic Trigger Finger? you dump those mags pretty darn quick.

Edited by Sumsky

I voted "B", "B", "D".

I'm not in any position atm to get a sbs, but if I were, I'd go with a ~12" barrel. That's still pretty damn short, but doesn't sacrifice as much fps/accuracy or get that fireball too close to your hands/face, as the 8" S-12s seem to.

ymmv.

this

and this?

Well.... how many mags is enough? I have 2- 5 round Russians, 1- 8 round russian, 1- 10 round AGP, 3- 12 round SGM, and just ordered 5 MD20 drums. I would like to have some of the Promag 12 round drums, but I'm going to wait until all of my stuff ships from MD before I buy anymore mags. If I like the MD20s I may buy 5 more. Ooops.... I forgot about the doublestacks. Gotta have a few of those too. Come on Mike, we're pulling for you wink.gif

Thats freakin practice if I may say so. That counts. You have a Bionic Trigger Finger? you dump those mags pretty darn quick.

I am actually a little older than I may appear in the vids and I have arthritis in my hands. I don't let it stop me from working or doing what I enjoy. I deal with the pain. Funny thing is, it never seems that fast when I am firing, but looks much faster to me in the vids.

.... just wait 'til the 5 MD20s come in.... 5 drum 100 round Winchester Universal dump video! :super:

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I voted "B", "B", "D".

I'm not in any position atm to get a sbs, but if I were, I'd go with a ~12" barrel. That's still pretty damn short, but doesn't sacrifice as much fps/accuracy or get that fireball too close to your hands/face, as the 8" S-12s seem to.

ymmv.

Hi PA,

I forgot about the fireball.... great point.

• 2 weeks later...

Do a Cobra conversion and make it look like a wooden furniture AK

+1!!!

you already got the tactical S12's, wood furniture looks awesome on these IMO, especially with your stack of md 20's sittin next to it :angel:

I scored one of the Saiga rifle handguards that has been modified to work on the S12 and I want to hold out for a triangle folder or I may even settle for the solid folder. I actually have one of the FSE polymer 'faux' triangle folders that I am going to rob from another AK.... and a MD Arms Molot style grip when my drums come. I'm excited.... we are close.

On the other hand, I just ordered 2 sets of East German bakelite/plastic furniture and may do some experimenting with dyes. I want to get close to the green used on those beautiful AKs in the museum....the ones that were given as awards. I may be inclined to put some bakelite on a S12 before the wood if the dye turn out good. I just love the durability of polymer and bakelite.

Edited by evlblkwpnz