Question for D-I-Y Saiga converters

After all the gubbermint paperwork / Form 1 is complete, paid for, signed off, and in hand with the little stampy thing....

How did you go about cutting down your barrell, and re-crowning?

I just picked up a Saiga 20 that is begging to be shortened.

How long did it take to get your stamp back? I think I'm going to do that with my most recent S12.

Are you planning to just cut the barrel and not rethread? I have never done it, but I would assume that you should cut it a little long and take the rest off slowly with a file moving from the bore outwards as to not compromise the chrome. It may not matter, I'm no expert on the subject. Someone should offer a 12ga crowning tool. I know they are available for 7.62mm.

you went through the trouble of paperwork and paying the 200 dollar tax, not to mention the wait, my advice get a qualified gunsmith to cut and crown the barrel.

I mean really, why go cheap at this point? and possibly screwing up a barrel

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

you went through the trouble of paperwork and paying the 200 dollar tax, not to mention the wait, my advice get a qualified gunsmith to cut and crown the barrel.

I will in the future pay the tax NOT because I am rich, but because I have to.

And I want to do it myself because I want to do it myself. Maybe that's not possible and I will eventually send it to a 'smith, but when I can, I like to do my own work.

I will in the future pay the tax NOT because I am rich, but because I have to.

And I want to do it myself because I want to do it myself. Maybe that's not possible and I will eventually send it to a 'smith, but when I can, I like to do my own work.

I'm the same way. I figure, why should I pay someone else to do something that I can probably pull off with some research and taking my time. Most of all, I like to expand my skillset and I enjoy a good challenge. You could always go a couple inches long and give it a shot. You will certainly learn something, and if it looks fine to you, take it down to the length you want. If you don't like it, you can always send it off at that point. I say try it.

I'm the same way. I figure, why should I pay someone else to do something that I can probably pull off with some research and taking my time. Most of all, I like to expand my skillset and I enjoy a good challenge. You could always go a couple inches long and give it a shot. You will certainly learn something, and if it looks fine to you, take it down to the length you want. If you don't like it, you can always send it off at that point. I say try it.

In addition, I'm wondering if anyone can give me tips / advice on how much to shorten the barrel (Saiga 20)

I'm thinking btwn 12 - 14" barrell length. Mostly, I don't want to shorten it so much the gun becomes a single shot. (i.e. still able to modify the gas system to accomodate the shortened barrell)

Edited by garandman

Mr Ash -

Excellent info - thanx.

My questions - poorly asked - is more basic. What tools are used to cut down the barrel? Lathe? Pipe cutter? What?

Don't use a pipe cutter. They will contract the barrel where you use it.

Most use a simple hack saw or the like.

And here you go for your threads. 2359707.JPG

My questions - poorly asked - is more basic. What tools are used to cut down the barrel? Lathe? Pipe cutter? What?

Cutting it off is the easy part bro. The trick is making sure it will run afterward.

Many guns are very marginally gassed from the factory, and even an inch or two will stop them from running.

I don't think you can take a Saiga to 14" without at least opening the gas ports.

Cutting it off is the easy part bro. The trick is making sure it will run afterward.

Many guns are very marginally gassed from the factory, and even an inch or two will stop them from running.

I don't think you can take a Saiga to 14" without at least opening the gas ports.

In factory form, my S20 will reliably cycle cheap Wally World birdshot shells right now.

I can see clearly from your NFA thread, the intricacies of cutting down a Saiga barrell. And as was posted above, it can be expensive to learn on the fly.

I've built two AK's from kits, and have a very good Macguyver type friend who can help me along - he's an aircraft machinist (who does things like machines his own AR buffers, and his own muzzle brakes.)

But I do wish to thank you for your words of wisdom. I'll have to give some careful thought to cutting it down. May just send it your way.

Edited by garandman

I've seen dozens of guns that were cut down to 18" by their owners, and then failed to run reliably on birdshot.

I've also seen one cut down to 11" that ran fine with only an increase in port size. lol a dramatic change in port size, however.

As for me, I like my stuff done correctly and don't mind paying for it. I find that I'm consistantly satisfied by the best.