Saiga feeding with AK mags and no bullet guide?

I just picked up a slightly used Saiga 7.62X39 for 200 bucks. It came with 2 AK mags that have been slightly modded to fit. It does not have a bullet guide. The owner said he has had no issues using the mags. Only fired about 300 rounds. Anyone heard of a Saiga feeding without a bullet guide or bump on the mag?

My stock Saiga will accept the regular AK mags without modification, but they won't feed. I know not all of them accept the AK mags without modification so I assume it all has to do with some variances in manufacture. It's not completely unthinkable that you might have a bit of a freak on your hands there, but you still should'nt use the AK mags without making the appropriate modifications to the rifle by adding the appropriate number of US parts, or you'd be in violation.

I too have recently aquired a Saiga 7.62 x 39, that came with Romanian AK mags, they had the bump, and would fit, but would jam after one shot, or misfeed from the start, Ive heard that a little modification with a dremel tool can rectify that problem, but am yet to do it my self, otherwise the only Saiga mags. I can find are 5 and 10 round, and there pretty expensive, I've seen 30 round mags but no one wants to sell them without the gun

i got my saiga 762 back in november, and mine would accept standard AK mags, and they would feed very reliably with not feed ramp mods. i used it like that for a couple months without a hitch..no jamming at all....but....this is probably due to slight variations in tolerances in the manufacturing process.

I went ahead and installed a feed ramp anyway because

1. its very easy to do

2. i want to be absolutely positive that it is going to feed flawlessly every time

your rifle may feed perfectly for years, and then one time it may jam when you need it the most. i was in your shoes a few months ago, and in my opinion, you should do the feed ramp mod

HOOP

Guys, please remember that in order to legally use regular AK mags on a Saiga, you have to reduce the number of foreign parts. Installing a feedramp, or using AK mags that just happen to work is illegal if the rifle still has more than 10 imported parts from the list of 20.

OK, YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MOD'S ON YOUR SAIGA FOR AN AK MAG TO FEED AND NOT JAMB!!!

Yes, it is illegal but you do not need to modify your gun at all.

you just have to dremel the front of the mag down a bit.

i did it on every one of my AK magz and they work flawlessly!!

never jambed nothing. i have about 10,000 rounds through my magz

and have never had a problem people say you have to have the bolt open when you put the mag in but that is not true ither,

there is enuf room in the mag that when you put it in your gun the bolt carryer pushes the shells into your mag and it slides in perfect.

so to ally you people out there that say you need to modify your gun are WRONG!!!

P.S: If yall want picz i will post them tomorrow!

Lithium

And another thing.

Im Native American and i live on a reservation

we have are own goverment and everything

down to the cops and they come over to my house

every day for me shooting and people calling in on me. (haha)

Just figured i would state that incase any one has anything to say about me shooting an illegal gun but on Native land there is nothing I can't do

haha i love it ;)

Lithium

And another thing.

Im Native American and i live on a reservation

we have are own goverment and everything

down to the cops and they come over to my house

every day for me shooting and people calling in on me. (haha)

Just figured i would state that incase any one has anything to say about me shooting an illegal gun but on Native land there is nothing I can't do

haha i love it ;)

Lithium

Thanks guys! I very much understand that this is not legal, I just found it interesting. I am going to do a conversion on this gun with US parts, proper feed ramp etc. I'll stick to the 10 rd mag until I do it.

Why put a ramp on the rifle, one simple answer, is a lot of mags on the market

for AK47 from 7 bucks to 30 bucks, plus if you happen to be shooting

with your friends, is so easy to barrow an ak47 mag and use it on your gun,

no problemo, plus takes like ½ hour to install a ramp made of ¾ pipe, took me

longer to get the pipe, than to cut and install it.

To this day, I have had four saigas on 7.62x39 and none have feed with out

a ramp or mod mag, but you never know, maybe one day I can find a saiga

that will feed with out a ramp, but still I will install one, is so ease and cheap

to do it.

Any way good luck, if have any questions on ramp or anything else, if I can help

send a message, do not know much but the little I know, I am wiling to share.

Any way look at this post, it can help a little.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=4917

• 1 month later...

it is true about "freak" saigas not needing mods to accept ak mags.

like i've said numerous times before i bought a saiga back in '99 that accepted and fed regular surplus ak mags without a problem.

maybe i lucked up on a freak gun.

maybe they were made that way back then.

who the hell knows.

my guess is back when they were first importing them they did take ak mags but somebody found out about it and they had to modify the guns so as to not allow the use of "evil lcmm's".

My Saiga jammed when I tried AK magazines in it. You either have to modify the magazine by adding material in the upper front channel or add a feed ramp to avoid having a jamamatic. Make sure you have the US compliant parts if you add the feed ramp or modify AK mags. Another option which I took was to buy a hi cap Saiga magazine at $45. It's a lot cheaper than lawyers and will keep me legal.

My friend had a 'pre ban' Saiga which took regular AK mags and had a threaded barrel, too bad he sold it. It wasn't modified to take Saiga magazines.

:osama::killer:

:sadam::killer:

Die terrorist scum!!

Edited by uzitiger