I use one... To be fair, the difference is negligible. The noise reduction from the carrier hitting the rear of the reciever is what i was after, and it does a fair job of that. Granted, I'm running a .223, so there isn't much recoil to begin with.

YMMV

The only caution about them is some have complained of feed failures with some of the cheaper buffers. Otherwise Ive not seen any and the S308 uses a metal buffer by design so it may not be the boogy man its been portrayed as. The 223 isnt going to tell you much try it on a 30 cal.

I wont say they are a good idea for every one but if reducing recoil is a priority then why not wring it out now while you can so you have the matter settled when it matters. I would say a thousand rounds should be a good test period. Having to keep a spare while not a burden is still one more thing to do. If it works you've improved the rifle if not well the purists are right and you should tell them so. It does make our day ;)

I like the buffers. Not so much for recoil but for rifle longevity. It keeps the bolt/carrier from slamming into the rear trunion. I got mine from Blackjack buffers. They seem to work fine and no issues for me.

<snip> the S308 uses a metal buffer by design </snip>

I kinda think the boys at Izhmash know a thing or two about Kalashnikovs, and put this in there after thinking about the repercussions.

It's totally different from Joe Sixpack just dropping one in his standard AK.

I like the buffers. Not so much for recoil but for rifle longevity. It keeps the bolt/carrier from slamming into the rear trunion. I got mine from Blackjack buffers. They seem to work fine and no issues for me.

If your bolt carrier is "slamming into the rear trunion", 1) your recoil spring is not in spec or 2) you're running hot loads (above military spec).

Either way, using a buffer to "fix" a problem is actually "bandaiding" the problem, and it can create other problems. .

Edited by nalioth

<snip> the S308 uses a metal buffer by design </snip>

I kinda think the boys at Izhmash know a thing or two about Kalashnikovs, and put this in there after thinking about the repercussions.

It's totally different from Joe Sixpack just dropping one in his standard AK.

If your bolt carrier is "slamming into the rear trunion", 1) your recoil spring is not in spec or 2) you're running hot loads (above military spec).

Either way, using a buffer to "fix" a problem is actually "bandaiding" the problem, and it can create other problems. .

These wouldn't be the same boys that put so many sights on canted would it? Sorry couldn't resist that. :)

I think some people out there may be using those light springs we keep seeing out there. Personally Ive never felt it hit on the x39 but the 308 may be a different story. Hard to tell unless you try but to get one on would mean removing the one Saiga put on there and Im not up for that. But if some guy wants to run one and see on the x39 its not going to hurt anything.

I personally have been tempted to try the BJB for my x39. Based on nalioth's advice, I've avoided it (thanks, nalioth). My bolt carrier doesn't hit the rear trunion, so no problems there. I'd replace the recoil spring first if that was the case. If felt recoil-reduction was what I was after, I'd try a buttstock recoil pad (there's a few out there).

Good luck either way.

Nalioth pretty much nailed it. If you're having your trunnion beat up by the carrier, a buffer won't help for too long. Like several folks, I've tried them. In the shotguns, they tend to short cycle the action though. Rifles are a bit more forgiving of buffers, but if working properly, the trunnion shouldn't be getting beat up.

Nalioth pretty much nailed it. If you're having your trunnion beat up by the carrier, a buffer won't help for too long. Like several folks, I've tried them. In the shotguns, they tend to short cycle the action though. Rifles are a bit more forgiving of buffers, but if working properly, the trunnion shouldn't be getting beat up.

I bought a Blackjack buffer but haven't put it in yet. I mainly got it to increase the longevity of the rifle cause I don't have much recoil on my 7.62x39. I'm kinda new to the saiga and the ak in general. How can I tell if the carrier is hitting the trunion.

I suppose I should clarify:

The carrier on my rifle isn't beating the trunnion, the buffer only changes the cycling noise from a "clang" noise to a more muffled version. I'm sure the buffer really doesn't serve much function otherwise, my rifle being the .223.

As for any info on the carrier "slamming" the trunnion, I'd have to defer to Nalioth, who is MUCH more experienced than I with this rifle.

Got my buffer from CSS, Tuktuk. FYI.

I suppose I should clarify:

The carrier on my rifle isn't beating the trunnion, the buffer only changes the cycling noise from a "clang" noise to a more muffled version. I'm sure the buffer really doesn't serve much function otherwise, my rifle being the .223.

As for any info on the carrier "slamming" the trunnion, I'd have to defer to Nalioth, who is MUCH more experienced than I with this rifle.

Got my buffer from CSS, Tuktuk. FYI.

copy that bohound. thank u for the intel. i decided not to go with any recoil buffer. just doesnt seem worth it to me.