A friend of a friend's friend was moving to Seattle from Portland. This guy (a tattoo artist) asked my friend's friend to watch his dog for 2 days... 6 days ago. after 2 days, she was threatened with eviction, as they aren't allowed to have dogs at her apartment complex...

So my friend, to help out her friend, asked me if "Dozer", a 2 year old English Bulldog, could stay in my back yard for "just a day or so" as I'm the only person she knows with a tightly fenced yard...

Well, I guess the "or so" was the disclaimer.... I'm going on 4 days with this new dog now.

Now, the guy in Seattle won't answer his phone or return any text messages.

I understand that the guy would keep the dog kenneled most of the time, I assume because he's messy, vomits after eating & drools like you wouldn't believe. The dog has no tags & is intact.

So now I'm stuck wondering if I unwittingly adopted another dog.

A buddy of mine tried to pawn off a Manx (evil attack cat) on me in the same manner when he moved years ago.

Talk about a conundrum.

I don't want another dog, (even though this one really is a riot), but I don't know what to do with him. These English bulldogs can cost $5,000. I wouldn't think the guy would just abandon him.

I figure I'll care for him for a month & if there's no response, I have another pooch? I'm not really big on messy, dumb dogs though. Bird dogs & hounds are more my forte.... They're at least trainable. This guy's leash trained, but dumb as a rock otherwise.

There's a Nurse in my unit that would love to take him, & she makes over 70k a year, so she'd be able to afford the vet bills That I understand these mutants incur, but he's not mine to give... Anyone know if there's a standard timeframe in these situations when the dog is officially abandoned?

Dozer2.jpg

Dozer1.jpg

DozerCasimir.jpg

Paulyski,

Send him a certified letter with confirmation advising him that he has XXX amount of days to reclaim his dog. If after that time period expires, then you can claim it as abandoned property and you will be free to do as you wish. Just make sure that you keep all of your communications/letters etc, along with the delivery confirmation signature. Simple solutions..think smarter, not harder.

Edited by GeorgiaPD

Man these dogs are really...how do I really put this. Not meant to even be alive......they have so many medical problems they would not survive on their own. They are really a mess and as you put it "dumb". If neither party will call you back I would.... Pawn him off on the nurse who apparently loves dogs, or drop him off at a local vet that will take him. My neighbor used to "raise" these as he always wanted us to take one from each litter(was a coon ass and I was surprised he could raise any thing other than his....well he had 3 kids), they almost suffocate just running around the yard. I made the mistake of taking one, well then I did the research. Ol red is under the old oak tree....

You either get stuck with a dog you are going to spend 1000s of bucks on, send it to a lady that will do that and love it, or take it to a vet that will try and get rid of it .

Imo its more inhumane to allow the breeding of these, than putting them down.

Edited by Chevyman097

let me know.....id love to take em!

Well, I'm gonna try like hell to get ahold of the guy & @ the same time tell the nurse to really do research on the breed to know about them.

If she backs out & the owner ends up abandoning him, if you pay shipping & you're serious, you can be 2nd in line behind the nurse.

I have a shipping kennel. He came with a wire one, so I can trade it out, ship him in mine & keep the wire one for Casimir...

I figured you would like him, he's the perfect example of the Marine Bulldog... Chesty's pride. (Lewis B. Puller)

He seems to be in good health, he's good with other dogs @ the park & doesn't run off. The biggest PIA is he likes to try to jump up & lay a slobbery kiss on you if you bend down & don't expect it.

Edited by Paulyski

Not all of them automatically have health problems, but they definitely can. He looks like he's got some snout. Meaning he doesn't have a completely flat nose or ridiculously disproportionate big head. When they have a some snout they are less likely to have skin, eye and breathing problems.

I have on Olde English Bulldogge. Oldies info

They're bred to be like original bulldogs, they're very athletic and don't have nearly the health issues.

photo-17814.jpg?__rand=0.84571900+1274010509

As far as what to do, well that is a tough one, but by the tone of your post it doesn't seem like he's too much of a burden on you so I'd probably keep him a while longer send a letter as mentioned above. Then after that either keep him or give him to neighbor nurse.

P.s. make sure to keep his stinkles clean. The thick wrinkles on his face. Just wipe them with baby wipe or wet paper towel every couple days or they'll get stinky.

Edited by kope007

I had to chuckle at seeing Chevyman's long list of reasons to not get near one these dogs, and then Juggs immediately says.....I'll take him! :lolol: But that's the nature of dogs in general. It goes beyond what you might have to "spend" on it. Of course its wise to choose your breed wisely but there isn't a dog alive, with very few extreme exceptions, that can't be loved and willingly cared for by somebody. And that's a tribute to the character of both man and dog. Paulyski, good on you for taking the dog in for a while.

lol Ya I saw that right after I posted my nonsense and was like...oh Lord they will all think im crazy.unsure.gif I know all animals will have their problems eventually and will cost money. lol But man these little guys are way worse than just regular health issues. Im just glad to see some one has good luck with one like Kope. I never gave them a second chance so I may just be bias, but I did do a some looking into them after the vet gave us the long list of health problems and it just seems crazy people would even breed these.

Im no p.i.t.a. nut job by all means but...you got to draw a line lol

There is a big problem with animal shelters being over crowded and many more roaming the streets or being abused. Breeding just needs to be regulated, but where to start. There are so many being put down on a daily basis just because they have no one to take them. Yet people breed them like rabbits. Like in the case of my old neighbor(he was a redneck though), this guy was just popin puppies out to try and make some quick cash. Well half the people ended up bringing them back dumping them on him, so he dumped them on his neighbors. I know all breed will have their runts, but most these just cant survive without in depth medical care. They even have to give birth by c-section. Some thing is just wrong with that.

A google search will present most the info on these breeds and the multitude of risks. Some of them even require surgery just to allow them to breath normal again...infections in the colon015.gif . I know people out there have the funds to give these animals what they need and will love them and take very good care of them. It just seems unfair to the animal to breed some thing that is almost doomed from the very first breath. Not to rant, I just wanted to let him know really what these things can be all about. People them, then go "oh shit" and dump them on some one else(not saying thats what happend here).

anyway lol not to sound like a rambling fool, ill stop. I just hate to see dogs suffer.007.gif

I really never would have known a thing about these breeds either till one was dumped on me, a few months later the health problems really started showing. Took him to the vet and wow the list of things wrong. Well, went home to sleep on it and make a decision on what to do. He died that night.009.gif I just felt really guilty after the whole ordeal.

Regardless of all that, I dont want to high jack your thread or turn it into a dramafest by all means. I hope Pauly finds a home for him. GL Im no expert by all means on dogs or breeding. I was just floored when I did some looking into them and found out all kinds of crazy stuff. I should have just left it alone I guess I am kinda sounding like a "know it all".

Lol oh lawd I am a rambling fool...Ill stop adding to it sorry Pauly. Dont want to start any political debate over dog breeding on a gun forum, we know fight club has had way more activity than needed lately.021.gif

Edited by Chevyman097

lol Ya I saw that right after I posted my nonsense and was like...oh Lord they will all think im crazy.unsure.gif I know all animals will have their problems eventually and will cost money. lol But man these little guys are way worse than just regular health issues. Im just glad to see some one has good luck with one like Kope. I never gave them a second chance so I may just be bias, but I did do a some looking into them after the vet gave us the long list of health problems and it just seems crazy people would even breed these.

Im no p.i.t.a. nut job by all means but...you got to draw a line lol

There is a big problem with animal shelters being over crowded and many more roaming the streets or being abused. Breeding just needs to be regulated, but where to start. There are so many being put down on a daily basis just because they have no one to take them. Yet people breed them like rabbits. Like in the case of my old neighbor, this guy was just popin puppies out to try and make some quick cash. Well half the people ended up bringing them back dumping them on him, so he dumped them on his neighbors. I know all breed will have their runts, but most these just cant survive without in depth medical care. They even have to give birth by c-section. Some thing is just wrong with that.

A simple google search will present most the info on these breeds and the multitude of risks. Some of them even require surgery just to allow them to breath normal again...infections in the colon015.gif . Anyways I know people out there have the funds to give these animals what they need and will love them and take very good care of them. It just seems unfair to the animal to breed some thing that is almost doomed from the very first breath. But anyways, not to rant, I just wanted to let him know really what these things can be all about. Its very common for people to get them, then go "oh shit" and dump them on some one else(not saying thats what happend here).

anyway lol not to sound like a rambling fool, ill stop. I just hate to see dogs suffer.007.gif

I really never would have known a thing about these breeds either till one was dumped on me, a few months later the health problems really started showing. Took him to the vet and wow the list of things wrong. Well, went home to sleep on it and make a decision on what to do. He died that night.009.gif I just felt really guilty after the whole ordeal.

Regardless of all that, I dont want to high jack your thread or turn it into a dramafest by all means. I hope Pauly finds a home for him. GL

Lol oh lawd I am a rambling fool...Ill stop adding to it sorry Pauly. Dont want to start any political debate over dog breeding on a gun forum, we know fight club has had way more activity than needed lately.021.gif

I don't think your post was nonsense at all. Its all very true, my only point is that the drawbacks for any breed can usually be overcome with the right owner. I have a pitbull who is a twice rejected pound puppy. He just needed the right home and that's where i came in. Although he is in great physical shape I still have to deal with the negative stereotyping of the breed which I don't mind doing since its fun to be able to change people's minds in an instant by showing them what great dogs they are.

I used to have the negative attitude towards the Pit bull breed too. Until I knew some one who had a rescued one that had been faught apparently. It was the nicest dog, unless you were the intruder. lol

Just out of curiosity, did the friend of a friends friend(lol) tell yall anything about him? You obviously know he for some reason vomit a lot. Did they point out any medical problems he has that you are going to be stuck with too?015.gif Im guessing you probably would have said if it did...but.

Edited by Chevyman097

I got the guy's # from my friend & left a message. The certified letter is mailed to his old address, so it would take a while to be forwarded.

He got in touch with my friend & she called me & said that the guy's girlfriend should be by sometime tonight to pick the pooch up.

I really hope he keeps the pooch, It's really messy, even though I'm of a soft heart when it comes to dogs, I just don't want it in my place due to the fact that I dress nicely usually & the dog slimes the crap out of me every time I'm around him.

Like I said, I like bird dogs & bird dog mixes. They're just SO MUCH smarter & obedient than other dogs. The Bulldog's much smarter than some others, such as lahasas & terrorists terriers, but no comparison for a properly trained bird dog.

I got the guy's # from my friend & left a message. The certified letter is mailed to his old address, so it would take a while to be forwarded.

He got in touch with my friend & she called me & said that the guy's girlfriend should be by sometime tonight to pick the pooch up.

I really hope he keeps the pooch, It's really messy, even though I'm of a soft heart when it comes to dogs, I just don't want it in my place due to the fact that I dress nicely usually & the dog slimes the crap out of me every time I'm around him.

Like I said, I like bird dogs & bird dog mixes. They're just SO MUCH smarter & obedient than other dogs. The Bulldog's much smarter than some others, such as lahasas & terrorists terriers, but no comparison for a properly trained bird dog.

Slobber and dog hair come with the responsibility of owning s dog! LOL, you will never get rid of either, but when the doggie has lived a good life with you, you will always wish and want the kisses and hair back, when you regret them after they are gone. I've got a black lab/australian sheperd mix right now that is 19 years old (I checked it with the vet to make sure, and he was amazed) and she has a tumor and stuff, but she is the toughest, most strong willed dog I have ever known or owned. Not mean, just strong willed. Sometimes I wish I had half the guts that she does. She was the runt of the litter, go figure. All we can do is try to make this world better for our furry friends. My dogs are spoiled silly. And they are all castaways that no one else wanted.