Ak Choate stock

Just recently got a 5.45 Saiga from CSS and planning on converting it with the said stock, Tromix modified trigger group and a UTG quad rail. I've posted a similar topic in the 5.45 section and was told that .308 seems to have more experience with the Choate stock. Anybody that does have experience with this stock, I understand that some machining is required to fit it, can you expand on that point? And if it's even a good stock to put on?

Just recently got a 5.45 Saiga from CSS and planning on converting it with the said stock, Tromix modified trigger group and a UTG quad rail. I've posted a similar topic in the 5.45 section and was told that .308 seems to have more experience with the Choate stock. Anybody that does have experience with this stock, I understand that some machining is required to fit it, can you expand on that point? And if it's even a good stock to put on?

It's the best American made skeleton stock you can get, period. I had to dremel some plastic off it, in order to make correctly it fit on my Saiga .308, because the Tapco screw bushing wouldn't quite fit at a correct angle into the stock otherwise.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply. So the problem lies in the bushing and not fitting around the receiver? Now you mentioned Tapco; I take it they design their own instead of using the original dimensions? I say that because I have the original laying around somewhere, though I haven't seen it in a while.

I just installed one on my 7.62 Saiga and it fit perfect. Per other advice on this board I also ordered an Arsenal (K-VAR) nut/bushing. You will not need the screw that comes with it as a short screw comes with the stock, the pg is hollow. I installed the self-tapping tang screw first then I attached pg screw, this gave the best fit. I did notice that the tang screw almost pierced the stock on the underside with it's tip, watch this as you are attaching. I retained the Saiga fore-grip with some modifications.

Edited by Avtomat
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is the sling mount on this thing? Will it take a standard AK sling?

Thanks.

The sling mount is the vertical metal pin in the open section of the stock. There is a small opening for a screw on top, but that is meant for the optional cheekrest when using a scope.

• 11 months later...

I'm glad I found this post today. I asked Choate if this stock would fit a Saiga 7.62x39 and they replied.... "Sorry it will not fit the Saiga. ".

It sure looks like it'll fit to me.

Thanks for the pics Avtomat, I PMd you earlier today, but this pretty much answered my question.