Another Hobby of Mine - Meteorite Spheres

Found this when I was a kid. Took it to the Philadelphia Museum of Natural History and had it analyzed.

You can see on the left side where they filed it to get the sample.

They told me it was part of a meteorite and was 80% nickel and 20% iron.

What's this worth Captain Kirk? 021.gif

post-15138-024958700 1277230352_thumb.jpg

For a second there, it looked like what God would use to slingshot at us from outer space! lol Very cool. Back in the 80s, before Challenger exploded, I used to go to Johnson Space Center all the time and hang out. You could virtually go in any building you wanted and around the entire place. I watched Astronauts training in a huge pool, learning to use tools in space, etc. One day, I was in a building where they had moon rocks in aquarium type enclosures with sandblasting type gloves installed, where they were slicing them apart, etc. There was absolutely no one around. I could have had all the moon rocks I wanted. Then Challenger exploded, and they shut all access off to 1 or 2 buildings. Then they made an amusement park for people and blocked all access to JSC. It used to be so cool to go damn near anywhere you wanted and see everything. Thanks Boba!

I had a meteorite sphere that was 1 inch in diameter a couple years ago. It was etched to show the Widmanstätten pattern.

Someone stole it at a party I had with friends and co-workers.

I paid 100 bucks for it, and if I find out who took it I will beat them senseless.

• Like 1

I had a meteorite sphere that was 1 inch in diameter a couple years ago. It was etched to show the Widmanstätten pattern.

Someone stole it at a party I had with friends and co-workers.

I paid 100 bucks for it, and if I find out who took it I will beat them senseless.

Sorry to hear about your sphere :( Was it an iron or stone?

So far I have 2 small peices spoken for.

This is a good oppertunity to get a real space rock for about $10

How can you pass that up???

Man, that's a super cool hobby Boba Debt. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who likes guns and rocks. I got a bunch of new minerals and fossils from the University where I work, they were cleaning out the geology dept.

How do you get into meteorites? I really dig all sorts of that stuff. My latest thing is bricks from around the world. I have a piece of the Colosseum and most of a brick from the Forum. I have others from around my home state, but nothing as cool as the Roman ones.

I really like that stuff Boba. I may be signing up for a chunk, we'll see how the finances are.

Also, I dig that EL3 Chondrite. Reminds me of the moon.