notch in safety for open bolt

what would be the best tool for modding the safety to keep the bolt open. I like the design I've seen from saltpeter, and several others. I had just recieved some big metal shears, and planned on cutting the safety...... however after several attempts all that I achieved was bending the safety causing it to lift of the houseing and driving me nuts.

I could use a dremel, if I buy the cutting blade.

or is it possible to remove the safety? It doesnt look like a simple job to remove.

thanks

:chris:

Well, I found several dremel cutting disks, and decided to go to work.

My suggestions for those who are going to do this would be....... when you have cut out what you think is the desired hole keep your fingers out of the bolt action. I learned this the hard way, because I didnt have a notch to hold the bolt, it slipped off and caught my fingers. :ded: *ouch* After that, I proceeded to fix the safty to fully catch the bolt, and I'm fully happy with the results.

I've got some pics, but my digital camera isnt all that good.

Anyone have any suggestions to touch up the finish on the safty?

post-2-1075249453.jpg

First off, why didn't you disassemble the bolt before you went to work? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it slamming shut on your fingers.

You can use a dremel polishing wheel to smooth out the rough edges on the cuts you made. Also, use the cutting wheel to make a tiny groove in the charging lever to mate with the notch that you just made in the safety. This locks the bolt open securely so there's no chance of it slamming shut prematurely when you change mags.

Try using a flash on your camera. The close ups won't be so blurry then.

Edited by SaltPeter

Well, there wasnt any one reason why I didnt remove the bolt. Although with the bolt closed while working there wasnt any problems. It was only when I was testing out if the notch would hold the bolt that I ran into my problem.

yeah, thats what I eneded up doing, making a grove to fully secure the bolt.

I did also try the flash on the camera... but they were way to bright to see anything. Tomorrow I'll do some touch up work, and take the pics outside. I've noticed my camera takes poor pics inside ( I have tried several different settings, tons of different lighting) but it seems to be pretty constant on outside pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

$35 delivered for the SWIFT lever with the notch, $30 delivered for the unnotched version. Check out my web site, I've added a bunch of tactical grip and accessories to my line. I have a bolt on rail that will accept a front grip and 1" flashlight holder and other things and lots more.