2 3/4 shells not cycling

I'm having a problem getting my Saiga12 to cycle 2 3/4" shells. 3" Magnums,no problem. Its like the spring is not allowing the bolt to go back far enough to eject the shells. I'm sure someone out there has the solution. I do have a gun fixers plug installed. Thanks

Saiga 12 before Lone Star Arms:

Saiga 12 after Lone Star Arms performance build

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA4a-ryJlYg&feature=related

The first thing I would do is go to Wally World and pick up a case of Federal or Remington 1 1/8oz 7 1/2shot birdshot (it's cheap). The type of ammo is important, they do not cycle everything. Try that and see, then let us know how it goes..

Edited by Rangerguy

No winchester low-brass. It's too weak.

Try a bunch of high brass, then federal 7 1/2 shot bulk pack & if you still have issues, then is the time to start tinkering.

ETA:

Are you converted yet?

What accessories have you added or swapped?

Edited by Paulyski

He he he...

You may have one of many issues, from too small or obstructed ports, incorrectly profiled hammer, lousy mag, or, it may just not be broken in yet.

If you're unconverted, after you fire a bunch of high brass to break it in, you can send it to Cadiz for warranty work. They pay shipping both ways & it's free.

If you're converted or just like to do it yourself, it'll just take some time, simple tools & a bit of research & you can get it running well.

Or, you could just sell it & buy one of Mike's.

It all depends on your comfort zone & wallet thickness.

At any rate, be sure to test it with the factory 5 round mag.

Mag issues are a whole different subject & you want to narrow it down to one or the other.

ETA:

But it's not warrantied to run winchester 7 1/2 shot low brass.

That takes a bit of work.

Edited by Paulyski

Mine is defiantly before Lone Star! I have the bolt action Saiga, they make a semi auto version????

LOL!!! As a matter of fact... they do;) Some need more massaging than others. I'm all for DIY if you want to go that route, but if you don't, I can make it run like a scalded ape!

Mike

Try a bunch of high brass, then federal 7 1/2 shot bulk pack & if you still have issues, then is the time to start tinkering.

ETA:

Are you converted yet?

The Rio ammo is high brass but I'll give the federal a try. Yes converted, with tromix parts, magnum twister puck, also have a standard puck. Tactical Gas Regulating System, and some furniture. BTW My MD 20's showed up, I hope to get this issue solved soon

[quote name='WaffenSchmied' date='23 June 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1277339352' Some need more massaging than others. I'm all for DIY if you want to go that route, but if you don't, I can make it run like a scalded ape!

Mike

You're fixing customer's guns now?

Cool.

You should make an announcement. (if you haven't yet)

He he he...

You may have one of many issues, from too small or obstructed ports, incorrectly profiled hammer, lousy mag, or, it may just not be broken in yet.

If you're unconverted, after you fire a bunch of high brass to break it in, you can send it to Cadiz for warranty work. They pay shipping both ways & it's free.

If you're converted or just like to do it yourself, it'll just take some time, simple tools & a bit of research & you can get it running well.

Or, you could just sell it & buy one of Mike's.

It all depends on your comfort zone & wallet thickness.

At any rate, be sure to test it with the factory 5 round mag.

Mag issues are a whole different subject & you want to narrow it down to one or the other.

ETA:

But it's not warrantied to run winchester 7 1/2 shot low brass.

That takes a bit of work.

It is converted but most definitely not broken in, I can only hope it could be that easy, the magazine issue probably isn't the case, I have several different types and it seems to happen with all of them. What the average brake in period if one exist. So the stock springs most likely are NOT the problem. My 1911 had a similar issue that was remedied with a spring change. I am done with Winchester low brass for sure.

You're fixing customer's guns now?

Cool.

You should make an announcement. (if you haven't yet)

Paul, almost half my business is rebuilding guns that don't run the way they can. When I get done with them, they RUN!

Please consider this official notice.... If you have a Saiga 12 shotgun you aren't happy with, and it has not been FUBAR'd by someone else, send it to me along with a check, and I will build you a shotgun that will shoot circles around just about any other type of shotgun on the planet! ;)

Mike

Paul, almost half my business is rebuilding guns that don't run the way they can. When I get done with them, they RUN!

Please consider this official notice.... If you have a Saiga 12 shotgun you aren't happy with, and it has not been FUBAR'd by someone else, send it to me along with a check, and I will build you a shotgun that will shoot circles around just about any other type of shotgun on the planet! ;)

Mike

I'll pass the word.

For some reason I got the idea that you were just focusing on complete new builds.

Mine is defiantly before Lone Star! I have the bolt action Saiga, they make a semi auto version????

LOL!!! As a matter of fact... they do;) Some need more massaging than others. I'm all for DIY if you want to go that route, but if you don't, I can make it run like a scalded ape!

Mike

I'll email you if the ammo is not found to be the problem. What the lead time, money is no object when it comes to my happiness, do you do pro bono work??? Thanks

Remember the amount of shot and size of shot dont matter. When you"re shooting low brass the only thing that matters when buying shells is the amount of powder in each shell. Make sure you buy 3 DR EQ. or higher. Anything in the 2's is to weak and the gun wont cycle due to lack of gas. I but Remington Sport loads with 3 DR EQ. and they run great. The case on the shell also is smoother than the Winchester crap which helps cycle too.

Remember the amount of shot and size of shot dont matter. When you"re shooting low brass the only thing that matters when buying shells is the amount of powder in each shell. Make sure you buy 3 DR EQ. or higher. Anything in the 2's is to weak and the gun wont cycle due to lack of gas. I but Remington Sport loads with 3 DR EQ. and they run great. The case on the shell also is smoother than the Winchester crap which helps cycle too.

Good to know!!

I bought the twister puc pack that included all three pucks including the magnum, medium, and standard. The magnum and medium would not cycle my gun, but the standard worked as good as the factory puc. The other two allowed to much gas to blow by the puc. I would only recommend those if you have an overgassed gun.

Mike

I'll email you if the ammo is not found to be the problem. What the lead time, money is no object when it comes to my happiness, do you do pro bono work??? Thanks

"Pro bono" indicates that you are an Attorney. I can either apply my standard reasonable pricing - or swap hourly charges with you based upon your standard reasonable pricing. However, as I probably don't have the same car payment, we are probably better off going with my standard reasonable pricing;)

If you are interested in a Lone Star performance build, please PM me with an image of your gun and the particulars, and I will be happy to provide you a quote.

With best regards,

Michael Rogers

Lone Star Arms

2501 Baylor SE

Albuquerque, NM 87106

505-263-8822

lonestararms@yahoo.com

Mike

I'll pass the word.

For some reason I got the idea that you were just focusing on complete new builds.

Sorry Paul... my miscommunication. I believe we had exchanged PM's regarding repair options for a forum member's gun that was heavily modified and IMO - pretty much FUBAR, and I communicated to you that I would decline that project based upon the condition of the gun as modified by another builder.

I did not mean to give you the impression that I would not work upon a previously owned gun. As long as the gun has not been modified in the same manner and to the same extent as the gun we were discussing (and it was really screwed up!), I am always happy to consider a performance rebuild of an existing gun:)

Mike

ETA:

Are you converted yet?

The Rio ammo is high brass but I'll give the federal a try. Yes converted, with tromix parts, magnum twister puck, also have a standard puck. Tactical Gas Regulating System, and some furniture. BTW My MD 20's showed up, I hope to get this issue solved soon

The magnum puck really wasn't intended for use with low power loads. Too much gas gets past the puck. You probably have other issues too, but you may see an improvement with the factory puck. Give it a shot.... ;) I could be wrong though, but I remember seeing something that said it was intended for use with 'high brass' or 3".

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • 2 weeks later...

Just want to thank everyone for their input, finally got it dialed in, 100 rounds no short cycles. Changed my ammo to some Remington nitro pheasant 4 shot , gave it a world class cleaning and put the stock puck back in. As a side note, my Rio 00 buckshot cycled nicely now too. I think I hit the panic button prematurely, but thats what newbies do right. thanks again, I now know what all the noise is about, this "thing" is pure EVIL!

post-23650-010609700 1278286842_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cook B.A.

Just want to thank everyone for their input, finally got it dialed in, 100 rounds no short cycles. Changed my ammo to some Remington nitro pheasant 4 shot , gave it a world class cleaning and put the stock puck back in. As a side note, my Rio 00 buckshot cycled nicely now too. I think I hit the panic button prematurely, but thats what newbies do right. thanks again, I now know what all the noise is about, this "thing" is pure EVIL!

Beautiful gun Cook! I'm happy you were able to work out the kinks!

Mike