Since there is a shortage of 5.45 Saigas...

Just browsing aimsurplus.com and saw THIS, was wondering if anybody has any experience with it...

New Romanian Cugir Factory AK WASR 2 Semi-automatic 5.45x39 caliber rifles. These feature original Romanian chrome lined barrels, Romanian made wood stock and handguards, original synthetic made 30rd AK74 magazine, and is 922R compliant to use foreign mags.

$399.99 Doesn't seem bad for a 5.45 AK patterned rifle with a wood stock. What do you guys think? I know the 5.45 Saigas were cheaper but they aren't too available anymore and I'm stuck between 5.45 and .223/5.56, I just want a cheap shooter in a state where a 7.62x39 AK "style" weapon is illegal yet any other is. I know .308 Brown Bear and .410 Golden Bear are "cheap" but I wouldn't mind getting around 10,000 rounds of 5.45 on the cheap to shoot for a while. I mentioned the .308 and .410 as I have one of each but 50 cents a round adds up when you have buddies wanting to try that cool bumpfiring thang. Maybe I should just lose the buddies but they have some sick land to shoot on in this tiny, gun hating state.

Anyways, anybody have one of these, there wasn't too much listed on aimsurplus then what I quoted above? Thanks!

Just browsing aimsurplus.com and saw THIS, was wondering if anybody has any experience with it...

New Romanian Cugir Factory AK WASR 2 Semi-automatic 5.45x39 caliber rifles. These feature original Romanian chrome lined barrels, Romanian made wood stock and handguards, original synthetic made 30rd AK74 magazine, and is 922R compliant to use foreign mags.

$399.99 Doesn't seem bad for a 5.45 AK patterned rifle with a wood stock. What do you guys think? I know the 5.45 Saigas were cheaper but they aren't too available anymore and I'm stuck between 5.45 and .223/5.56, I just want a cheap shooter in a state where a 7.62x39 AK "style" weapon is illegal yet any other is. I know .308 Brown Bear and .410 Golden Bear are "cheap" but I wouldn't mind getting around 10,000 rounds of 5.45 on the cheap to shoot for a while. I mentioned the .308 and .410 as I have one of each but 50 cents a round adds up when you have buddies wanting to try that cool bumpfiring thang. Maybe I should just lose the buddies but they have some sick land to shoot on in this tiny, gun hating state.

Anyways, anybody have one of these, there wasn't too much listed on aimsurplus then what I quoted above? Thanks!

Go with the Bulgy 74s if your going low end. They are selling for $329 now.

Yep. I believe those have some features that WASRs don't. Also, it wouldn't be hard to switch them to wood.

$329 is an unbelievably good price. I wish I had the money to spare.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Can you PM me where you are seeing this price?

thanks!

edit: I am looking for a 74 now and can spend a little more. What would you recommend in a 74?

Edited by enthusiast
  • Like 1

yeah they cant seem to get rid of the piece of shit century made- with .223 barreled -keyholing bullet tumbling-1'6" 100m grouping-warrenty denying piles of shit.although you could use it for the parts that century hasent spread their cancer on to do a build.just a thought.seriously though you would be better spending the extra $ and get an arsenal.if you cant then the romy will be ok as long as it realy is romy built and VT,Georiga is NOT on the receiver unless only "imported by".good luck.

• Like 1

yeah they cant seem to get rid of the piece of shit century made- with .223 barreled -keyholing bullet tumbling-1'6" 100m grouping-warrenty denying piles of shit.although you could use it for the parts that century hasent spread their cancer on to do a build.just a thought.seriously though you would be better spending the extra $ and get an arsenal.if you cant then the romy will be ok as long as it realy is romy built and VT,Georiga is NOT on the receiver unless only "imported by".good luck.

Ya know, before you run off at the mouth, you might want to research what you're talking about.

The WASR-2 has nothing to do with Century aside from them importing and adding 922r parts. It is entirely built in Romania. It has a Romanian 5.45x39mm military barrel, along with some other parts off the military assembly line (similar to the Saiga's construction).

No keyholing has ever been reported with these.

• Like 1

Ya know, before you run off at the mouth, you might want to research what you're talking about.

The WASR-2 has nothing to do with Century aside from them importing and adding 922r parts. It is entirely built in Romania. It has a Romanian 5.45x39mm military barrel, along with some other parts off the military assembly line (similar to the Saiga's construction).

That's exactly what my thought was with thinking about purchasing one of these. I know Century fucked some 5.45's up and I don't want to figure out which ones or get one by accident.

It's really easy to figure out what not to get on any AK.

US made means it's garbage. Plain and simple. Stick to small parts for US made parts.

No US company has had any luck making a 5.45 barrel. Mossberg did make some for Lancaster that were nice, they threw brass twice as far as they should, and beat the rear trunnion out of the receiver because they were overgassed.

wow sorry i didnt mean to piss in your lucky charms.seriously though i think you missunderstood me.i was bashing the bulgy 74s made by century.those are the ones everyone are saying are at such a good price.there is a reason....they are shit.the romy wasr-2 should be good to go if it truley is romy.i had a pre ban sar-2 romy 74 which was a good gun.i am just trying to inform other gun people about the bulgy74's built by century.i owned both an ak-74 sporter by century built on an elk river recevier and one on an NDS-2 recevier.i dont want anyone to have to go through the bs.century WILL NOT take back or warrenty one that keyholes.they will strait up tell you on the phone that the 5.45 and rifle was designed to tumble right out of the barrel.so i had spent money on two 74s that were pieces of shit and got stuck.once again just trying to help.if you are on a budget(which most of us are including me)get the romy.if you can spend the $ get the arsenal sgl 31.or maybe you can find a saiga iz-240.i just got one 2 weeks ago off gunbroker nib for 360.i was surprised i was the only bidder.guess i got lucky.

If I were you, I'd just spend a little more and get a SGL31.

Now is not the time to buy the SGL31. Trust me on this one. If your buying a 74 pattern the only good deal is the one JG Sales is having on their bulgy builds. I mean they are SOOOO cheap. Now if SOMEONE were to offer a SGL31 for $565 here shortly, I would say that is the best deal in the market, but right now they are priced to high...

Yes I got a Century Bulgy 74 and have some problems with keyholing. Funny as some have problems and some don't. Even mine doesn't do it all the time, just every now and then. I have been curious myself about the Wasr 2's if they don't keyhole they should be a pretty good deal at $399.00.

Would rather have another Saiga 5.45 though, but doesn't seem like they are getting any in anytime soon.