22" .308 range report

Finally got to take my new Saiga to the range today. I have a 22" with synthetic, an ATi drag stock, Bulgarian trigger/disconnecter and original hammer, and a 6x42 POSP. The ammo I was using was Wolf 150 FMJ. I am impressed.

The wind was blowing diagonal at me at a constant 10-15 mph which was a pain but tolerable. I sighted it at 25m, then moved to 100. I put 60 rounds in a 6" group , firing 2 mags of five, them letting cool for 5-10 mins. I fire about 1 shot per 5 seconds so it got hot fast.

I am suprized at the Wolf's accuracy. I used to use the 148gr exclusively in my Romak3 but stopped due to quality issues. The .308 seems to be great. Occasionally I'd have a jam but I attribute that to the rifle being new and me forgetting to oil it before the range.

Overall I'm really happy with the rifle. Not quite on par with my Romak3 but close and a little less recoil. After 80 rounds total (20@ 200m, 6" group) and another 100 from my Romak I left with a slightly sore shoulder but very happy with my latest acquisition. If it shoots this good in the wind I can't wait to take it uot on a calm day and see what it does.

Nice shooting! Always glad to hear a good range report, expecially with the Saiga 308. I've heard it called a "Minute of Animal" rifle and do not believe that does it justice. Congrats again on the conversion and your successful range trip.

I shot my converted 16" Saiga .308 w/ 8X PSOP this weekend and my best group at 100yds was Just under 4MOA... (I'm talking 8shot groups) This was with some south african surplus I traded for some austrailian surplus. Overall accuracy wasn't the greatest, but maybe with some better ammo it would be better. But, I'm convinced that with a better cheekweld, I would have better results. I'm thinking of getting a lace on cheek piece or something. One thing I noticed is that my groups tended to string vertically... so heat is probably causing the barrel to move and changing my point of impact or it's just inconsistant loads... I dunno, or maybe it's me reacting to getting smacked in the face by my crappy cheekweld :rolleyes:

I shot someone elses Saiga .308 that was 20", and I noticed that the recoil was considerably less. It was open sights, so I really couldn't tell what my group was like.

I did have some Failures to extract, but both times( or was it three?) the round stovepiped, yet had picked up another round... I found this strange since I figured if it failed to extract, it would be underpowered and short stroke without going far enough back to pick up a new round. I checked my extractor, and the spring was still really tense, so maybe I need to just clean and lube the sucker.

One thing, I know that my tapco hammer is causing more pressure on the carrier than the original. It was pretty hard to create the same profile of the original since it's a bit thinner from front to back than a standard AK hammer.

Hopefully it works itself in....

I just ordered 160rds for 29.00 from SOG, but sportsmens guide may be cheaper. I was ordering 1800 rds of 7.62x39 from SOG and just got the Aussie to try.

Will be taking it back out tomorrow hopefully with the Aussie and more Wolf. I went today and started with my ROMAK, but shot so bad the Saiga didn't even make it out of the case. I hate days like this.

I just ordered 160rds for 29.00 from SOG, but sportsmens guide may be cheaper. I was ordering 1800 rds of 7.62x39 from SOG and just got the Aussie to try.

Will be taking it back out tomorrow hopefully with the Aussie and more Wolf. I went today and started with my ROMAK, but shot so bad the Saiga didn't even make it out of the case. I hate days like this.

My 22" shoots 2" ish with Silver Bear, SA and Aussie ammo using an 8X scope - perhaps it would do better with Federal but my needs do not warrant the expenditure 20 to 25 cents a pop is enough.