Beginner Question(s)

I was looking at these shotguns because they seem great for home defense. However, I know absolutely NOTHING about converting them or dealing with the inner intricacies/mechanics of the weapon. Where should I begin? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks.

Begin by reading and viewing many of the conversion/restoration threads here and on youtube also by looking at the vendors in particular Carolina Shooters Supply website, then as you will also see there are also many members here that are more than willing to help you and will even meet with you to help you.(I know here in Texas we have many).

The Saiga-12 is an awesome weapon! I've spent quite a bit of time and money getting mine right where I want them...both in terms of ergonomics and reliability.

Just a word to the wise...before you jump in, spend a lot of time reading this forum on mods, reliability improvements, and all the types of available mags. All of these issues will factor into the gun's reliability and suitability for home defense, since very rarely are they perfect right out of the box.

I'll tell you this...once you get it right, nothing will match the firepower or stopping ability the S-12 offers.

Edited by billyjoebob

The Saiga-12 is an awesome weapon! I've spent quite a bit of time and money getting mine right where I want them...both in terms of ergonomics and reliability.

Just a word to the wise...before you jump in, spend a lot of time reading this forum on mods, reliability improvements, and all the types of available mags. All of these issues will factor into the gun's reliability and suitability for home defense, since very rarely are they perfect right out of the box.

I'll tell you this...once you get it right, nothing will match the firepower or stopping ability the S-12 offers.

I am anxious to learn, I am just unsure if I have the ability to make reliability improvements, etc.

Edited by Irie267

Another thing this forum has is vendors who know how to do it for you, and do it right the first time. Of course that costs a little more money but well worth it in my opinion if you have the extra cash.

I am anxious to learn, I am just unsure if I have the ability to make reliability improvements, etc.

If you have basic skills, you can do a conversion.

Ideally, you'll need a dremmel or grinder (to remove rivits), and some hand tools like plyers, screwdrivers, and allen keys. Beyond that, all you need to do is spread out in an undisturbed work area, and take your time.

I'd recommend looking at some of the conversion videos on the CSS website before you tackle anything. Then, go shopping and buy all the parts to put your dream gun together. On the plus side, by the time you're finished you will know the nomenclature of this weapon inside and out, and will be able to repair almost any malfunction or breakdown you experience. And, you'll save hundrends (if not thousands) by doing it yourself.

If you need advise on the conversion or buying components, just ask. There are tons of knowlegible people on this forum.

I will admit it was intimidating at first to think of taking apart my Saiga 12 and converting it. The more i read and watched it came to the point of time to do it. Use the sticky here with the CSS vids and you should be good to go. Take your time and have you pc or laptop next to you. Also like said earlier give yourself about 2 to 3 hours and alot of space. If I can do it I am sure you can. Once you do you will be proud of your achievement. If you run into trouble you post here. Great people here that volunteer excellent advise and tips for free. Made me contribute to the site as my way of saying thanks for all their unselfish kindness. Good luck and by the way, my S12 is the envy of the range.