Howdy, so I bought my first pistol (glock 36) and I've noticed that while I'm right handed, I'm left eye dominant. I find it much easier to look down the sights with my left eye while both eyes are open. I have to close my left eye if I try to aim with my right eye otherwise the sight picture is hard to see.

Is this technique right/wrong? Do the 'experts' say there is a certain eye you should use? It is awkward to aim now that I noticed this.

Edited by PVT Pablo

IMO you should just shoot dominant hand, dominant eye. If they are different, so what? You will always be naturally better with your dominant hand/eye no matter how much you practice with the other one.

• Like 1

I went to a shooting school way back in the early '90s. One of the guys asked a question about being right handed and left eye dominant. The instructor told him close his left eye and then in a smart ass tone asked "which is your dominant eye now"?

The point was, if your right handed, shoot right handed with your right eye looking down the sights. Opposite if your a lefty.

For what it's worth the instructor was pretty damn impressive with a weapon and taught us to be also.

while I'm 99% right handed I shoot left handed and am left eye dominant.

but if I had it all to do over I'd have learned to shoot right handed. (good shooting is learned with training and practice)

now coming up on 60 and just too damn fixed in my bad ways to change.

if you are just starting IMHO go right handed.

ever piece of equipment (holsters) and gun is easier to find and cheaper to buy,

every stage set up at a match is friendlier to the righties.

should add going to and shooting matches while also watching and listening to what the people are doing is a good free source of training for both good and bad techniques.

Edited by going12220

i've been working on shooting with both eyes open. But i have absolutely zero formal training....is this not the standard practice?

For defensive shooting that is the way I was told was best. I tried it without good results.

RalphXL

Howdy, so I bought my first pistol (glock 36) and I've noticed that while I'm right handed, I'm left eye dominant. I find it much easier to look down the sights with my left eye while both eyes are open. I have to close my left eye if I try to aim with my right eye otherwise the sight picture is hard to see.

Is this technique right/wrong? Do the 'experts' say there is a certain eye you should use? It is awkward to aim now that I noticed this.

Shoot with both eyes open. It allows you to still use your dominant eye and keeps your field of view unobstructed.

I believe he is saying he does shoot with both eyes open but if he were to shut his right eye, his left would be lined up with the sight picture?(even though hes shooting righty)

Indeed. That is my issue. The reason I asked this question is because I just became a pistol shooter so if this method is going to F me up for life I'd rather correct it now. If it is of no consequence than sweet deal.

"Indeed. That is my issue. The reason I asked this question is because I just became a pistol shooter so if this method is going to F me up for life I'd rather correct it now. If it is of no consequence than sweet deal."

You should be fine using your left eye. There are plenty of people who shoot that way. I do find it interesting how people end up shooting this way though. One question when shooting a rifle do you shoot lefty and use your left eye or do you shoot righty and use your right eye?

Edited by raidersfan_5544

You should be fine using your left eye. There are plenty of people who shoot that way. I do find it interesting how people end up shooting this way though. One question when shooting a rifle do you shoot lefty and use your left eye or do you shoot righty and use your right eye?

I had to go pick up my shotty to answer your question. I shoot right and I use my right eye to look down the sights. Haha I'm all over the place.