So I've been doing a lot of research, and the ACR is shaping up to be an excellent firearm. Granted it's a little on the high-end in terms of price, but it's as simple and appears to be as rugged as an AK while apparently retaining M4 accuracy. What do you guys think? Is this another over-hyped product like the CheyTac Intervention?

So I've been doing a lot of research, and the ACR is shaping up to be an excellent firearm. Granted it's a little on the high-end in terms of price, but it's as simple and appears to be as rugged as an AK while apparently retaining M4 accuracy. What do you guys think? Is this another over-hyped product like the CheyTac Intervention?

I think that the CheyTac is a great rifle and cartridge, but it is horribly overpriced. I think that Bushmaster may have done the same thing here with the new ACR. It might be great, but when you effectively eliminate 90% of your prospective purchasers because of price, then many us will never know. Just my thoughts.. :smoke:

• Like 2

I think that the CheyTac is a great rifle and cartridge, but it is horribly overpriced. I think that Bushmaster may have done the same thing here with the new ACR. It might be great, but when you effectively eliminate 90% of your prospective purchasers because of price, then many us will never know. Just my thoughts.. :smoke:

Very true. The Intervention is incredibly overpriced. The ACR is a fraction of the cost, but still up there. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Very true. The Intervention is incredibly overpriced. The ACR is a fraction of the cost, but still up there. I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Personally, $3,0000 is my limit for ONE firearm and it barely beats it.

But if I had a bunch of dough burning in my account, I'd get it.

Is it worth it to you?

Yes, the ACR is new and revolutionary in terms of a STANAG based platform.

But, for the money, there's other rifles that are considered more durable or reliable.

Either way, in the end, it just comes down to what you like and prefer.

Go to a gun shop or gun show and handle one. Then you'll know.

I handled one at a show and I really enjoyed it, but not enough to make it my very next purchase, otherwise I'd have it this week.

Is it worth it to you?

But, for the money, there's other rifles that are considered more durable or reliable.

I handled one at a show and I really enjoyed it, but not enough to make it my very next purchase, otherwise I'd have it this week.

See, I haven't had the chance yet to handle one. I really want to. It just looks like something I would enjoy having and shooting. I figured I'd ask around to see what everyone else thinks of them.

Is it worth it to you?

See, I haven't had the chance yet to handle one. I really want to. It just looks like something I would enjoy having and shooting. I figured I'd ask around to see what everyone else thinks of them.

If you don't already have an AR platform, get one of those first.

I still prefer the AR-15 or S223 over the ACR/Masada.

The HK416/MR556 is considered more reliable and durable than the ACR.

But people say the HK "is, after all, still an AR."

I can't say if the ACR is better, from experience.

But from what I hear, it's not, it's only different.

Either way, which ever route you go, good luck, as always.

And be sure to post pics of the one you decide to get!

I'll, hopefully, be sharing pictures soon of mine if it arrives this week. :up:

I did some fondling last Friday, it's a solid yet light rifle. It was just a basic version so no rails or folding and telescoping stock.

It was a bit off feeling to me. Felt a bit too civilian somehow. Maybe the railed and fancy stock version would fix it.

I'd still rather have an FN SCAR s16 or s17 for that 7.62 punch. If only money wasn't an option. :dollar::ded::dollar:

Cost at my dealer was $2550.00 tax included.

Well, i've had my fair hair of experiences with ARs, so I figured I'd try something a little different. The fact that the SCAR is just gas powered turned me off a little bit. The ACR is piston driven, which is a plus in my book. I'm aware that ruger makes a piston driven AR, and if I remember correctly, the HK-416 is piston driven as well, but I'm trying to steer away from the AR itself. The ACR seems like it'd be a perfect change of venue for me.

Well, i've had my fair hair of experiences with ARs, so I figured I'd try something a little different. The fact that the SCAR is just gas powered turned me off a little bit. The ACR is piston driven, which is a plus in my book. I'm aware that ruger makes a piston driven AR, and if I remember correctly, the HK-416 is piston driven as well, but I'm trying to steer away from the AR itself. The ACR seems like it'd be a perfect change of venue for me.

I would take the XCR over the ACR. The feel of it fits me better.

But, I gotta say, you can't go wrong with Magpul.

They designed it and they know their shit.

I have just about all of their other furniture and I would probably get an ACR in the future, but not before the XCR.

The ACR has come down in price a little since it's release, from what I can see.

The shop down here where I got my G23 also had an ACR on the wall, and they're priced at $1,200. A top end DI AR can easily go over that price point. (I have a 16" BCM middy upper, BCM BCG, BCM charging handle, Mega Machine Shop lower, Stag LPK, Troy rails, Magpul ladder covers, Tango Down VFG, MOE stock and grip it came out to right about $1K)

Personally, if I were in the market for another nice AR style platform, I'd be all over that brand new basic ACR for $1,200. The lady said they've been selling like hotcakes, and a lot of the buyers were people who came in looking for a SCAR.

Wow. I'm an idiot. It was $2,100....not $1,200. <facepalm> Still a better price than a lot of places.

EDIT: WarriorJudge: You shoot your ACR yet????

Edited by -Shooter-

Cost at my dealer was $2550.00 tax included.

You can get a civilian legal Pre '86 Full Auto Mac 10/11 for about the same price if you shop around.

I don't understand that price point when my AR shoots the same round just as reliably and accurately. I can swap an upper to 6.8 in the same time it takes to swap calibers on the ACR and with the cost of the base AR and a 6.8 upper I am still $1,000 below the asking price of the ACR.

If it was waaaaay cheaper, I might be interested. It's not $1,800 cooler than a quality AK.

The ACR has come down in price a little since it's release, from what I can see.

The shop down here where I got my G23 also had an ACR on the wall, and they're priced at $1,200. A top end DI AR can easily go over that price point. (I have a 16" BCM middy upper, BCM BCG, BCM charging handle, Mega Machine Shop lower, Stag LPK, Troy rails, Magpul ladder covers, Tango Down VFG, MOE stock and grip it came out to right about $1K)

Personally, if I were in the market for another nice AR style platform, I'd be all over that brand new basic ACR for $1,200. The lady said they've been selling like hotcakes, and a lot of the buyers were people who came in looking for a SCAR.

That's insanely cheap compared to 2550. How do you like your BCM? Been looking at getting another AR, really looking hard at the BCM's.

That's insanely cheap compared to 2550. How do you like your BCM? Been looking at getting another AR, really looking hard at the BCM's.

Check my edit. :angel:

My BCM runs great. It eats everything I feed it (yes, even grimy steel cased Ruskie ammo), and hasn't had a malf yet. Back when I got my BCM upper, they weren't into making lowers yet, so it's not all BCM. Their quality-to-price ratio is hard to beat. Also, Paul @ BCM is about as much of a stand-up guy as you can deal with, no joke.

I'll try to get a pic up later........because besides the fact that it runs like a top......it also looks dead sexy! :wub:

My BCM runs great. It eats everything I feed it (yes, even grimy steel cased Ruskie ammo), and hasn't had a malf yet. Back when I got my BCM upper, they weren't into making lowers yet, so it's not all BCM. Their quality-to-price ratio is hard to beat. Also, Paul @ BCM is about as much of a stand-up guy as you can deal with, no joke.

I'll try to get a pic up later........because besides the fact that it runs like a top......it also looks dead sexy! :wub:

I have not heard a bad thing about them yet. Colt quality with a Stag price tag. Notice any difference in shooting the mid length gas system vs carbine?

Well, i've had my fair hair of experiences with ARs, so I figured I'd try something a little different. The fact that the SCAR is just gas powered turned me off a little bit.

The SCAR is not DGI it's a short stroke piston driven system. Just like so many other guns. Short stroke piston guns work just as well as piston driven, and in some ways better. Less mass flying back gives less felt recoil. The Sig 556 and variants use this system, as well as VZ.58,M1 carbine, and that Piston AR Ruger made. Most Piston ARs are really short stroke piston systems.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like factual errors.

Well, i've had my fair hair of experiences with ARs, so I figured I'd try something a little different. The fact that the SCAR is just gas powered turned me off a little bit.

The SCAR is not DGI it's a short stroke piston driven system. Just like so many other guns. Short stroke piston guns work just as well as piston driven, and in some ways better. Less mass flying back gives less felt recoil. The Sig 556 and variants use this system, as well as VZ.58,M1 carbine, and that Piston AR Ruger made. Most Piston ARs are really short stroke piston systems.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like factual errors.

Well, in my opinion, piston is piston, regardless of short stroke or "regular" whatever regular might be. However, I wasn't aware that the SCAR was short-stroke.

I think that regular is where the piston is attached to the bolt carrier. Short stroke just means less mass will have to be forced back.

So lighter loads are able to cycle better, and you get less felt recoil. It does add complexity and a few more parts though.

Regardless of what piston system a gun has, any piston is better then DGI. Just my opinion.

I haven't felt the need to look beyond my XCR for a non AK type assault rifle. For me it was a dream to have a well made gun that employs basically the same type simple beefy action of an AK yet also have so many of the other ergonomic qualities and features of an AR type rifle, and better. This was it. Its all that I need. In my opinion it was the best rifle on the market at the time. Are there other rifles emerging that are better? Maybe, in some people"s opinion, and eventually maybe in my opinion but I'm not there yet.

I haven't felt the need to look beyond my XCR for a non AK type assault rifle. For me it was a dream to have a well made gun that employs basically the same type simple beefy action of an AK yet also have so many of the other ergonomic qualities and features of an AR type rifle, and better. This was it. Its all that I need. In my opinion it was the best rifle on the market at the time. Are there other rifles emerging that are better? Maybe, in some people"s opinion, and eventually maybe in my opinion but I'm not there yet.

Dogman, would you mind showing us pics of the operating system in your XCR, bolt, carrier and piston? I have read about them but never seen one.

Dogman, would you mind showing us pics of the operating system in your XCR, bolt, carrier and piston? I have read about them but never seen one.

Sure. I can do it maybe tomorrow some time. In the meantime, nutnfancy shows and explains the system pretty well in this video. The guy is a bit obnoxious to me but he gives a good review and explanation of the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDT7yAmB6bI

+bump, post some pics of your setup.

Also I've heard and read really good things about LWRC's AR pistons.

Supposed to be top notch as in as good or better than an HK416 and will work with all standard AR parts like mags triggers etc... Plus the founder is a former jarhead too which is a plus in my book.

Pretty much what I as thinking. :up:

I have not heard a bad thing about them yet. Colt quality with a Stag price tag. Notice any difference in shooting the mid length gas system vs carbine?

I only had a carbine upper for a short time, so I can't really remember enough to compare any noticeable differences in the carbine vs. middy gas systems.

(EDIT: My Larue QD BUIS is residing on my .22 AR for the time being)

post-5916-072617300 1280900302_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Shooter-

I only had a carbine upper for a short time, so I can't really remember enough to compare any noticeable differences in the carbine vs. middy gas systems.

(EDIT: My Larue QD BUIS is residing on my .22 AR for the time being)

Very nice set up. You really don't need the rear sight since all true gangsters shoot from the hip anyway.

Sure. I can do it maybe tomorrow some time. In the meantime, nutnfancy shows and explains the system pretty well in this video. The guy is a bit obnoxious to me but he gives a good review and explanation of the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDT7yAmB6bI

Dude is long winded for sure.

Very nice set up. You really don't need the rear sight since all true gangsters shoot from the hip anyway.

:lolol:

This is mine. The MI BUIS co-witness perfectly with the Eotech. I may add a VFG some day.

100_0012.jpg100_0014.jpg

Nice! Can I ask why the rear sight is that far forward? Just a preference thing?