Tapco AK buttstock wiggles.

"Finished" my conversion last night. I think I made a mistake by not drilling the hole for one of the buttstock screws squarely. Now the buttstock moves a little. Kind of annoying. Anything I can do to fix this?

One screw was centered, the other I drilled a little close to the gun.

I used the screws that came with the stock.. not the original saiga screws.. maybe i can use those to get a tighter fit?

Edited by aekdbbop

quick/cheap fix is to buy the sticky velcro squares. take the stock off and attach the "softer" side of the sticky velcro patch to the part of the stock that goes into the receiver. gently push/force the stock back in (it will be snug) and ensure the patch does not come off. then reinsert the screws. tada no wiggle. ask me how i know :unsure:

If I owned a stock that had to be shimmed, I'd use a metal shim. Not sure I'd want to go to battle with a velcroed weapon. Or you could use the old Khyber Pass gunsmiths trick and find an old goat bone that could be whittled down to stop the wiggle :osama: (okay, I'm just messin' with ya now).

Your butt wiggles? Sounds like a personal issue to me.

Anyway, on my conversion there was a hole on the bottom of the receiver, just to the rear of the saw grip that was no used, but it lines up with the bottom of the T6. I drilled it out and installed a screw in there for the sake of stabilizing the buttstock and it actually pulled it tighter to the receiver. you can also use a bigger screw on top but remember, once you drill a hole it is hard to drill another one close by. You can make the one you have bigger but it may not help that much. Look at the saw grip and see if you see that little hole just to the rear, and try to use it if you can.

Grasshopper, say another Hail Mary and shoot two more Zombies as penance. Go in peace my son.

"Finished" my conversion last night. I think I made a mistake by not drilling the hole for one of the buttstock screws squarely. Now the buttstock moves a little. Kind of annoying. Anything I can do to fix this?

One screw was centered, the other I drilled a little close to the gun.

I used the screws that came with the stock.. not the original saiga screws.. maybe i can use those to get a tighter fit?

I had that happen with mine - I remember being pissed because I drilled the tap hole for the bullet guide dead on perfect without a drill press. Thought people were crazy for needing one of those to drill the hole. Ten minutes later I screwed up buttstock.

I drilled the hole a little too close to the metal and the screw wouldn't go in all the way and tighten it down. It was the screw that the spring mechanism fits over. My screw was originally so high the spring would fit back into those two tabs because the screw head was in the way. I bought a smaller screw (think I bought a star tipped one) with really good grooves on the head. That way I could torque it down hard without worrying about stripping it. Came out fine...wasn't really a big deal at all once it was on. Or maybe you can use smaller washers to raise the area around the hole up enough so the screw lays flat, not sure how far off you are.

There is 1/16" of an inch gap between the receiver and buttstock with it installed.. is this going to cause any issues after shooting for a while?

Almost certainly not. Half of the "AK's" I've seen have that little gap and the stock wasn't going anywhere.

Mine has no gap.. but then again I have a K-Var poly stock; these come with the hole(s) pre-drilled in the perfect position, so you can skip all the above hassle. ;)

There is 1/16" of an inch gap between the receiver and buttstock with it installed.. is this going to cause any issues after shooting for a while?

Almost certainly not. Half of the "AK's" I've seen have that little gap and the stock wasn't going anywhere.

Mine has no gap.. but then again I have a K-Var poly stock; these come with the hole(s) pre-drilled in the perfect position, so you can skip all the above hassle. ;)

K-Var ships their stocks with no holes drilled. Yours was pre-drilled because you own a SGL series rifle.

I found tapco does as good of a job as K-Var as far as the "gap" problem goes....

K-Var ships their stocks with no holes drilled. Yours was pre-drilled because you own a SGL series rifle.

I found tapco does as good of a job as K-Var as far as the "gap" problem goes....

I s'pose that makes more sense.. let the customer drill the holes to fit his rifle, duh. :D

I don't really like the Tapco stocks because they're not an accurate recreation of the combloc poly stocks; they have no lightening cuts in the sides nor the cleaning kit compartment.

ymmv.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I s'pose that makes more sense.. let the customer drill the holes to fit his rifle, duh. :D

I don't really like the Tapco stocks because they're not an accurate recreation of the combloc poly stocks; they have no lightening cuts in the sides nor the cleaning kit compartment.

ymmv.

This is true. They are however lighter, with no significant difference in thickness of plastic. I am running an od tapco unit on my sar-2 for shits and giggles. After a year of use, its made me a believer.

Make no mistake, their handguards and magazines are inferior due to lack of steel reenforcement, but I kinda like their stocks weight and feel.....

I drilled the screw holes poorly the first go around on my tapco stock. I used a quality epoxy to plug the holes, let dry, sanded, and redrilled more patiently. The second try yielded a snug fit, and no gap between the stock and receiver. Now I have a spare tapco stock that I bought to replace this stock, I'll use that to restore another Saiga =)

• Like 1

I drilled the screw holes poorly the first go around on my tapco stock. I used a quality epoxy to plug the holes, let dry, sanded, and redrilled more patiently. The second try yielded a snug fit, and no gap between the stock and receiver. Now I have a spare tapco stock that I bought to replace this stock, I'll use that to restore another Saiga =)

another addict..... :super: