I have never shot one, but know some people that have them. Other than being uglier than sin, and a pain in the butt to field strip, they seem to be okay. Some complain about the recoil being a bit more than other pistols, but I don't know.

I have seen them, and have been tempted, but just can't bring myself to purchase it. You know what they say... you get what you pay for... and I just can't get past that!

Keep us posted as you shoot more... maybe I will pick one up to use and abuse...

• 2 weeks later...

i've been shooting the 9 for a while now and i must say its pretty impressive for a "cheap gun". its accurate once you sight it in doesn't really jam up much ( i have 2 clips rd and 10 rd) the 8 round feeds great but the ten round will jam up on the first 1 or 2 shots sometimes...... but for the price i think i might get a .45 for fun

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_pietro75

Hey there -I have a highpoint 45 acp 9+1.bought it a year ago. Got it on gunbroker for $138,$ 20 shipping, $25 ffl transfer. For $183 how can you not . You won't be sorry for giving the .45 a try. Once sighted in, it is an accurate shooter. . It is a pain to field strip, BUT, it is a simple durable design and you would rearly ever field strip it anyway. When I first purchased it I shot 200 winchester fmj and had no jams. With my lead reloads I would jam first 1or2rnds. I examined a little nub in the ramp/throat and sanded it down since I have had no problems. I have dumped 100's of rounds through mine now and have had no jam. Give the .45 a try you'll enjoy the cheap little s.o.b.

• 1 month later...
It is a pain to field strip, BUT, it is a simple durable design and you would rearly ever field strip it anyway.

Hey, I don't claim to be a gun expert but don't you have to field strip a gun to clean it properly? I mean, yeah, you could just run a brush and swabs down the barrel but with an autoloader, that doesn't really cut it...

It doesn't matter how durable or well made a firearm is, if you don't clean it poperly, it won't perform at it's best... or worse, malfunction.

As for the Hi-points, I wouldn't shoot one of those dirty. I've shot them, never owned them. They were just too ugly but a buddy's got a 9 and a .45 They're ok... I wouldn't put my life or safety on them. Nice for plinking I guess... since Hi-point's got a lifetime warranty on the buggers... break it and they'll fix it free, you just have to get it to them.

Yeah, they're cheap but they're butt ugly and it's true... you get what you pay for here. I'll stick with my Kimber Custom 1911 for personal protection.

I am no expert either,yet, I disagree with you. I don't believe you have to field strip your guns every time or all the time to clean them. I do agree that the highpoint pistols are fat and ugly and I would never trust my life with it outside the house cause I don't carry nothin' big enough to hide it in! :lolol: And yes you DO get what you pay for. I got a cheap handgun that is huge and fun for me and my boy to shoot every once in a while. Certainly should you stick to your Kimber as I to my taurus pt145. P.S. Gunscrubber; solvent/degreaser/action cleaner, great stuff!

i only clean my pistols about once every 500 or so rounds unless im shooting dirty stuff, ive see guns that pins and such were worn from goin in and out all the time to clean and i never have problems with jams (in my pistols) i dont polish my guns or anything im a true beleiver in breakin em in the old fashioned way, i shoot em but then again i dont buy too cheap, my witness was decently priced and has taken tons of abuse already , prob put 3000 rounds in it already

I was at an NRA ccw refresher shoot sat. last week. I took my "dirty, cheap, butt ugly" highpoint .45 along for the ride. I have not field stripped the hipoint for quite some time and it has sat around in the safe getting all dirty :cryss: , yet, it preformed just fine. I have changed my mind, the more I think about it. I don't think the hipoint is very ugly at all and I don't care if it is a cheap gun(look at AK's). the hipoint reminds me of my AK's in that it is a simple loose action gun with little to go wrong. If you can shoot an automatic around 200 times or so consecutively with no malfunctions you got a decent weapon no matter how cheap. Some guns jam some guns don't. I still say the hipoint is not a bad buy if a man(or woman) can't afford a kimber or some other higher priced gun!

P.S. clean gun=slick barrel

P.S.S. Where do you stash that 1911 in the summer Sammoh?

Ok, now for me I think this horse is finally dead!

They do stand behind their warrenty. Co-worker bought a Hi-point 40 S&W last year and after firing a couple boxes the frame cracked locking up the slide. He took it back to the dealer who mailed it to Hi-point. 3 weeks later the dealer called and told him to come pick up his pistol. They had sent him a brand new pistol no questions asked.

Edited by J A
P.S.S. Where do you stash that 1911 in the summer Sammoh?

Unfortunately, I don't stash my 1911 anywhere except in a drawer in my nightstand next to my bed... Living in the state of Wiskonsin has drawbacks... one of the worst drawbacks is the fact that we hav no CCW. A bill allowing CCW licenses was passed by the legislation but vetoed by our idiot governor. An override vote was killed by one vote... the vote of an assemblyman who had a hand in the bill coming to legislature in the first part. The guy went turncoat and decided to vote for his party rather than what he and his constituents stand for. I'm sure that next time around, he won't be in the Assembly nor will we have the same governor. Afterwards, I'll tell you how I stash the 1911 in the summer (when I've had a chance to try it). :unsure:

Shotgun_lobotomy: Eleven rounds is pretty good. My HK USP compact only holds 8+1 of .45. My friend carries a Glock 21 in .45 and recently acquired a pre-ban 13rd mag and added a +2 extension! He's always trying to out do me!

yeah but that would be a beast to lug around. lately ive been carry'n my 21-a loaded with snakeshot, figure 5 of those in your face might not kill but ur not gonna be hurtin me:). late night and when im goin somewhere that isnt the best i carry the 45. id say i carry it 80% of the time, just during the summer its a lil harder to hide

A bill allowing CCW licenses was passed by the legislation but vetoed by our idiot governor. An override vote was killed by one vote... the vote of an assemblyman who had a hand in the bill coming to legislature in the first part. The guy went turncoat and decided to vote for his party rather than what he and his constituents stand for.

This is exactly what I am afraid of happening come september. It wont go to if they want the bill passed or not, it will go to drawing a line and saying what party are they on. Screw our rights. Lets play footsie.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest_pietro75

I would say NO! there is nothing to watch out for, Go to any gunshow and ask about the highpoint and the dealer will tell you that it is an affordable gun not a cheap gun. I have no problems with mine, and, if you do have any problems hipoint will fix or replace the gun, Even, if you are not the original owner. I believe this to be a no questions asked company.MKS-Hipoint firearms clicj here and find out all you want to know :super:

I put about 600 rounds through the 9mm hipoint a friend of mine had. Its a good gun for the price, I think. Just dont be surprised by the plastic trigger. considering the gun costs what a decent set of sights cost, exactly how can ya go wrong?

• 2 years later...

i have a Hi-Point 9mm, shot around 500-600 rounds through it. i am using cheap 100 lot box ammo. will get jam about every 3rd 10 rnd clip. i have never took my pistol apart to clean it. i am new to cleaning pistols, well, i can strip a m-16 in my sleep, and have no issues cleaning my .22 semi's. just have never took apart a pistol, much less this one. just wondering if there is anyone who could kinda walk me through the process of complete cleaning this pistol.

i have ran the swab down the barrel, and use Powder Blast to spray it down, but this pistol is in need of a very good cleaning.

thx

Dracona

• 1 month later...

Okay, first off I own a Hi-Point .45-ACP the slightly older design that has the 9+1 capacity unlike the newer ones I've seen that have the 8+1 capacity. I bought this gun brand new on sale for a cool $150 even and have put at least 30+ batches of 1,000 rounds through it of my reloads plus plenty of factory ammo. It has never jambed on me except for two failure to feeds that were not the guns fault but my fault on a capable of reloads that were screwed up pretty bad. My reload consists of 4.5 grains of IMR Trail Boss over a 230 grain hard-cast LRN bullet ignited by a Winchester large pistol primer in range brass I get to pick up for free. I totally tear down an clean the gun every other batch (every 2,000 rounds) and just run a bore-snake through the barrel after every shooting session.

Would I trust my life to this gun --- Yes, Its place is in the night stand though, it ain't no good for conceild carry.

Would I recommend this gun as a "plinker" --- definently just watch for the problem I point out below.

so it sounds like the hipoint is a ugly but servicable pistle for plinking, is there anything to look out for when buying one?

Only one thing to watch out for. ----- Pick up the Hi-Point you are considering buying and hold the gun normally with one hand and grap the slide with the other. Try the twist the slide back and forth to each side. If you feel a slight movement back and forth in each direction when the slide is fully forward in battery, put that one down and pick up another one and check it the same way. About a third will have a little bit of play in them from side to side as I have described. This will result in horizontal stringing in your groups because the sights are on top of the slide and the barrel is fixed to the frame. Find one where you can't feel any play and buy it and you will get very nice tight groups.