Gas vent holes and recoil

I have a Saiga 5.45 and an SGL 31. The SGL shoots smoother and has a less snappy recoil. I was curious whether it was the lack of the gas block vent holes on the Saiga that made the difference. Are the holes just cosmetic, or do they really help bleed off a significant amount of the gasses?

Are the holes just cosmetic, or do they really help bleed off a significant amount of the gasses?

How many times does this have to be asked and answered?

Jeez-o-pete.

Gas tubes do nothing but guide the gas piston.

Want proof?

Take your gas tubes off and go shoot your guns (you won't hurt anything).

You'll figure it out.

Edited by nalioth

I have a Saiga 5.45 and an SGL 31. The SGL shoots smoother and has a less snappy recoil. I was curious whether it was the lack of the gas block vent holes on the Saiga that made the difference. Are the holes just cosmetic, or do they really help bleed off a significant amount of the gasses?

Does your Saiga 5.45 have a proper AK74 style muzzle brake, like the one found on SGL31? This has got to be your culprit. These brakes are very effective at reducing recoil.

Does your Saiga 5.45 have a proper AK74 style muzzle brake, like the one found on SGL31? This has got to be your culprit. These brakes are very effective at reducing recoil.

Well, actually, the SGL has a Bulgarian-style flash hider on it, so I'm not sure that could be it. But the Saiga WILL have a AK74 muzzle brake, whenever the funds will allow.

Well, actually, the SGL has a Bulgarian-style flash hider on it, so I'm not sure that could be it. But the Saiga WILL have a AK74 muzzle brake, whenever the funds will allow.

I had that flash hider too. It does seem to lessen the recoil and rise somewhat too - probably a little better than a simple slant brake.

Are the holes just cosmetic, or do they really help bleed off a significant amount of the gasses?

Jeez-o-pete.

Want proof?

You'll figure it out.

So why are some made with holes and some aren't?

Jeez-o-pete.

Want proof?

You'll figure it out.

In my experience the vent holes serve more to keep the action clean. Venting the gas up at the gas block means it doesn't vent out under your rear sight. Debris is deposited up into the air and around the gas block/tube area instead of underneath the rear sight and into the receiver.

This is all however, based only on my limited observations of running with no vent holes for a couple shooting sessions.

Jeez-o-pete.

Want proof?

You'll figure it out.

In my experience the vent holes serve more to keep the action clean. Venting the gas up at the gas block means it doesn't vent out under your rear sight. Debris is deposited up into the air and around the gas block/tube area instead of underneath the rear sight and into the receiver.

This is all however, based only on my limited observations of running with no vent holes for a couple shooting sessions.

I put vent holes on my saiga rifles. This way some of the burnt up powder resedue is vented though those holes. That constitutes less fauling in your reciever.

I am at a loss as to why you're wasting all of our time writing such bunk.

It doesn't make a sh** where the fouling goes (it's not an AR15). It's certainly not going to cause any problems for a Kalashnikov.

8492_taliban7.jpg

I'm at a loss why you think our observations must be misguided. I did not ever say it mattered to the function of the gun one bit. It does, in my experience, leave the bolt carrier, gas piston and receiver much cleaner after a shooting session. Does that mean that it must absolutely be done or the rifle will malfunction? I posted what I have seen personally. I do have an appointment for an eye test coming up though, I'll edit my post if I find that I may have been mistaken.

Jeez-o-pete.

Want proof?

You'll figure it out.

I put vent holes on my saiga rifles. This way some of the burnt up powder resedue is vented though those holes. That constitutes less fauling in your reciever.

I am at a loss as to why you're wasting all of our time writing such bunk.

It doesn't make a sh** where the fouling goes (it's not an AR15). It's certainly not going to cause any problems for a Kalashnikov.

8492_taliban7.jpg

I never said it is going to cause any issues. All I said that was:

Meaning, I don't have to clean as much. Yes my super duper AK will run if it is covered by shit, I know that! I just want it to look like a f&%*$ golden nugget. :smoke: Edited by Deussne