First impressions/advice

gallery_26026_524_8784.jpg

(Triplets almost, one of the scope rails has a bit of a different shape. Same manufacture date.)

Well I got my rifles in and overall I'm happy with them except for a couple of issues, I feel Saigas are a great value. I realize I'm in the minority here but I like the carbine look and feel. I'm not really a fan of the stock sights, but can probably live with them. The trigger on the other hand I find heavy, gritty, and long.

• Has anyone had success cleaning up the trigger without doing a conversion?
  • I'm looking at picking up polymer AK-47 mags. I saw online that TAPCO 30 rounders were running $10.95. Any issues with Tapco mags?

If you can get in where the hammer meets the trigger leg and polish it maybe with a 'pointed' fine grinding wheel you may be able to polish it up.. Dinzag sells a modified FCG for factory Saiga's but not too many here have tried it..

Unfortunately... most just swap the FCG and do the conversion.. for under $100 each you can get them all back to AK style and function..

Al

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your triplets!

You mentioned you were interested in 30 round mags, which is understandable, however: using anything more than a 10 round magazine, or modifying your rifle to accept standard AK magazines, makes your rifle no longer "sporting" and is now subject to Section 922r, of Title 18, U.S.C. There is an entire section on the forums devoted to 922r, but in short: you must have 10 or LESS foreign parts on your rifle.

You ALSO mentioned that you hated the stock trigger. You will find yourself in good company here: we all pretty much do.

Taking these two points into account, the best and easiest way to fix them is to convert your rifle to a standard AK configuration, using enough US made parts to satisfy the legal requirements of 922r.

For example, a great inexpensive conversion that would give you a better trigger and let you use ANY 30 round magazine, regardless of country of origin (You'd need a bullet guide, $20ish) would be:

•  
  • Use a US made FCG (Trigger, Hammer, Disconnector)
  • US made Pistol Grip (You'll need a screw and nut!)
  • US made buttstock
  • US made handguard

TAPCO makes all of the above, and several forum sponsors sell all of the above in kit form. Another common company is KVAR: folks tend to like their stuff more, but you may find it to be more expensive. They've been known to run killer sales in the past, though. Dinzag Arms makes US parts that make the busy work of conversion easier: you'll pay more, but things will just drop right in.

Now, all that said: if you really just want to keep that carbine configuration... and I know, there are few here who will recommend that... you can:

1: only use 10 round mags. Surefire makes 10 rounders for un-converted Saigas, and you could also just try to find more factory Saiga mags.

2: Do a lot of work, and spend a lot of money, just to legally allow you to use 30 rounders in Carbine form. You'd need that Dinzag FCG for the stock Saiga, which has little feedback and might be a pain to install, and even then, you'd have to use US made mags. You'd have to choose between expensive Surefire mags made specifically for NON-CONVERTED Saigas, which can also be hard to find, or add a bullet guide to let you use regular US Made AK mags. Thing is, you'd be relying on your magazines to satisfy 922r: this is legal, don't get me wrong, but folks generally dislike this practice. It's just a little too easy to become a Felon: just accidentally slap in a buddies' combloc magazine at the range.

Don't feel intimidated by it all: you're in a genuine wellspring of knowledge about these rifles. Browse the different sections, look at the stickies, search like there is no tomorrow... and ask away!

Again, welcome to the forums!

Edited by MN.9130

Dude, do not buy tapco magazines. Buy Bulgarian Circle Ten magazines from Forum Vendor K-Var.com.

Also before you buy anything read, Read, READ!!! The forum is full of great advice. :super:

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 1

Dude, do not buy tapco magazines. Buy Bulgarian Circle Ten magazines from Forum Vendor K-Var.com.

Also before you buy anything read, Read, READ!!! The forum is full of great advice. :super:

Dont mean to hijack the thread here, but:

Bought my first Circle 10's the other day, tried all 3 in my rifle. every one wobbles side to side, and back and forth, way more than any other mag I own. Yugo and Chinese metal ones, Tapco plastic ones, Palm 30, all. The circle 10's are the loosest by far. Not bad enough to not use them, but way more loose fitting than I expected from the quality everyone speaks of with these. maybe Arsenal quality control has gone down? I dont know. I havent got to shoot them yet, only load em up and try em in the gun...

And you're right about the forum having great advice...

Bought my first Circle 10's the other day, tried all 3 in my rifle. every one wobbles side to side, and back and forth, way more than any other mag I own. Yugo and Chinese metal ones, Tapco plastic ones, Palm 30, all. The circle 10's are the loosest by far. Not bad enough to not use them, but way more loose fitting than I expected from the quality everyone speaks of with these. maybe Arsenal quality control has gone down? I dont know. I havent got to shoot them yet, only load em up and try em in the gun...

And you're right about the forum having great advice...

Thats interesting, loose fit is never an issue with mine. They are the best constructed magazine with steel reinforcement where it counts. I would never buy anything less.

Bought my first Circle 10's the other day, tried all 3 in my rifle. every one wobbles side to side, and back and forth, way more than any other mag I own. Yugo and Chinese metal ones, Tapco plastic ones, Palm 30, all. The circle 10's are the loosest by far...

My experience has been just the opposite. My (10) mags are the tightest-fitting I own, by far. I had to file a couple of em to get them to lock in at all.

Are you sure you have genuine Bulgarian (10) mags? If you do, the only other possiblity I can think of is that your rifle's magwell is somehow fucked and out-of-spec.. which is unlikely. :unsure:

This is the gospel.... Amen.

Some Tapco stuff is GTG, but the mags? No.... you have officially been warned ;)

• Like 1

If you are converting you can save a good bit by going com-bloc steel for the mags. Still some 20rd mags out there if you like to shoot prone, works much better than 30s in that position.

If you use the Tapco hand-guard get some heat shielding, the thin stuff used for various applications sold at Lowes last time I bought it, to line the inside. I am currently trying a high temp silicone for that purpose now just to see how it works out.

If you can get in where the hammer meets the trigger leg and polish it maybe with a 'pointed' fine grinding wheel you may be able to polish it up.. Dinzag sells a modified FCG for factory Saiga's but not too many here have tried it..

Unfortunately... most just swap the FCG and do the conversion.. for under $100 each you can get them all back to AK style and function..

Al

It appears that I'm one of the few who actually likes the trigger position where it is. I purchased dinzag's modified G2 FCG for 922r compliance and couldn't be happier. Trigger pull is a consistent 3.5 lbs and trigger travel is under .180 (about 3/16th") before let-off even with the stock trigger wishbone configuration. Dealing with dinzag was great and quick. He even offered to take the FCG back in exchange (even swap)if I ever decide to go the normal route and do the full conversion. Please note that this modified FCG only counts for (2) 922r complient parts and not (3)since the trigger is ground off.

Edited by shortyd044

I'm not really a fan of the stock sights, but can probably live with them. The trigger on the other hand I find heavy, gritty, and long.

Has anyone had success cleaning up the trigger without doing a conversion?[*]I'm looking at picking up polymer AK-47 mags.

There are different after market sights that will work fine with your saigas like peep sights. Tapco made magazines are junk compared to real surplus magazines.

Bought my first Circle 10's the other day, tried all 3 in my rifle. every one wobbles side to side, and back and forth, way more than any other mag I own. Yugo and Chinese metal ones, Tapco plastic ones, Palm 30, all. The circle 10's are the loosest by far.

Where did you buy these loose circle ten mags from? All the circle 10 ones I own are the tightest fitting mags I have ever used. I own steel: chinese, bulgarian, romanian, russian, hungarian, polish, and east german and none are as tight fitting as the circle 10 ones. Can you post a picture of the mag in question?

Ok, I noticed your in California. Which capacity circle ten are you refering to? The ones I refered to as tight fitting are 30 and 40 rounds.

Edited by my762buzz