Saiga 12 rebuilt on a pre-ban AK receiver?

Things get tricky when you talk about preban parts. A preban upper, lower, or receiver, etc...is only good if it was a registered rifle before the '94 ban. If you buy a reciever that was a registered rifle before the ban, you can add the other parts making it a preban rifle once again...weird huh?

The AWB only applies to shotguns made after 13 September 1994.So ergo if you have a preban rifle and you simply change the caliber that does not affect it's status as pre or post. AR15s can be converted to a whole host of calibers and this does not affect their status.

IPSC_GUY sends

Caliber to caliber is fine, caliber to "gauge" isn't, but thats just my guess. Ya they have rifles that are gauge calibers, but they are old single or double barrel rifles that use black powder, and fire a huge chunk of lead. And sure, AR-15s have been altered to fire all kinds of cartriges: .300 whisper, .50 AE, 9x19, 7.62x39, .308 in the form of the AR-10/SR-25, even .50 BMG, but never a "gauge." All the AR-15 caliber conversions fire one bullet at a time, not 12 pellets at a time. The conversions for the AR-15 were ment to expand the capability of the "rifle", and granted, making a 12 gauge conversion would expand it even more, but they keep the "rifle" a "precision" instrument, thats what most people want them for. (You don't see a .50BMG loaded with #8 shot) You make a gun that fires shot, its a shotgun, And a shotgun is not a precision instrument, unless it has rifled barrel and good sights, but even with these, it would never be considered a rifle, its a shotgun, why? it can still fire shot. And even if there were an AR-15 conversion the BATF would most likely frown on it, probably ban it outright. Might as well have a USAS 12. I guess you can try it but I'd rather wait for the ban to expire, its only eight months and nine days left (unless they re-pass it, GRRRR!!!! >:P ). It just seems like a lot of work for something that isn't likely going to make a difference. But like I said if you want to do it, do it, its a free country isn't it, (or so they say (then again "they" say alot)) I back you 100%.

...is only good if it was a registered rifle before the '94 ban. If you buy a reciever that was a registered rifle before the ban, you can add the other parts making it a preban rifle once again...weird huh?

What? My preban Norinco isn't registered. Registration is bad.

What I was saying is that true preban parts are only those taken off a gun that was a complete gun before the ban. If a complete gun was dismantled and sold off after the ban, those are preban parts. A reciever that was never a gun before the ban is not a preban reciever now.

:super: Dude, if man can go to the Moon anything can be done! :angel:

But if you are wondering if there are major differences between say a Saiga-12 reciever and a SAR-1, then the answer is yes!

The saiga-12 has an RPK type bulge at the front of the reciever which is actaully the barrel trunion. If you did attempt a conversion then you would have to remove this material from the donor pre-ban reciever to be able to pin in your Saiga-12 barrel. :eek:

Edited by rock47