Came across the rifle on the CZ-USA website. I believe it to base off of the VZ-53, anyone familiar with it? How are they? Quality? The list price is $1015.00, seems way overpriced for something similar to an AK.

Found a sporter, dont like the stocks tho, for $745 here. They have others, the military classic and regular military cost alittle more but look better. They dont have bayonet lugs on em.

Came across the rifle on the CZ-USA website. I believe it to base off of the VZ-53, anyone familiar with it? How are they? Quality? The list price is $1015.00, seems way overpriced for something similar to an AK.

Found a sporter, dont like the stocks tho, for $745 here. They have others, the military classic and regular military cost alittle more but look better. They dont have bayonet lugs on em.

Yeah, I find the furniture hideous on both versions. Wood or poly. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with shooting them. Are they reliable, worth the cost, etc.

Yeah, I find the furniture hideous on both versions. Wood or poly. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with shooting them. Are they reliable, worth the cost, etc.

The 58 is a great rifle. even though its milled it weighs less then a stamped 100 series rifle. I shot one built by CZpoint and it was a decent rifle (I still like the feel of the AK pattern better). Be aware CAI makes a version that sells for $499 or so, if you dont mind a US receiver and CAI quality...Also the gas system and magazines are different from the standard AK units, so if interchangeability is a factor don't buy one.

The 58 is a great rifle. even though its milled it weighs less then a stamped 100 series rifle. I shot one built by CZpoint and it was a decent rifle (I still like the feel of the AK pattern better). Be aware CAI makes a version that sells for $499 or so, if you dont mind a US receiver and CAI quality...Also the gas system and magazines are different from the standard AK units, so if interchangeability is a factor don't buy one.

Thanks Sal, I figured the parts weren't interchangeable, but that isn't an issue. I was just curious to see what the scoop was on these.

• Like 1

Did you do a search? This rifle has been discussed here numerous times. There's some really good info in these old threads. . .

Vz-58 discussion @ Saiga-12.com

A detailed pictorial I made (the board wouldn't allow all the pix): Vz58 Pictorial - novarata.net

It explains how the rifle works, with lots of explanatory pictures.

Did you do a search? This rifle has been discussed here numerous times. There's some really good info in these old threads. . .

A detailed pictorial I made (the board wouldn't allow all the pix): Vz58 Pictorial - novarata.net

I tried google, but didn't have the success you did. Thanks Nalioth.

What do you think of them?

Edited by VaiFanatic90

The very first line of the pictorial:

"The Vz58 is not an AK by any stretch of the imagination. It is superior in all but numbers."

Once they came on to the market and I got one, I sold off a large portion of my AK collection.

Read the other threads - they're very enlightening.

The very first line of the pictorial:

"The Vz58 is not an AK by any stretch of the imagination. It is superior in all but numbers."

Once they came on to the market and I got one, I sold off a large portion of my AK collection.

Read the other threads - they're very enlightening.

So I read. Must be worth every dollar to have one. I'll probably end up doing the same.

Superior to the AK! LOL Hardly! I am not going to rehash old debates, but this rifle is inferior to the modern Kalashnikov for a number of reasons, not the least among them, the overly complex design, the lack of standard aftermarket parts, the fact they are LESS ACCURATE than 3rd+ generation AKs, the odd ergonomics, and the fucking retarded safety system. I mean do a google search these things have a ton of issues.

However, they are really REALLY fun to shoot and they have a few advantages (like weight). So I am not going to say the things are not worth owning... But with pre-holiday sales ramping up, shouldn't you save your money for another saiga???

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 2

Superior to the AK! LOL Hardly! I am not going to rehash old debates, but this rifle is inferior to the modern Kalashnikov for a number of reasons, not the least among them, the overly complex design, the lack of standard aftermarket parts, the fact they are LESS ACCURATE than 3rd+ generation AKs, the odd ergonomics, and the fucking retarded safety system. I mean do a google search these things have a ton of issues.

However, they are really REALLY fun to shoot and they have a few advantages (like weight). So I am not going to say the things are not worth owning... But with pre-holiday sales ramping up, shouldn't you save your money for another saiga???

Excellent point on the money saving. I do want a Saiga 5.45 provided I can find a good deal on one.

• Like 1

I have both. Superior to an AK? I'm not sure. It's certainly lighter weight then any AK I fired. It's one of the lightest combat rifles I've ever used. I've only shot it once and I didn't think it was more accurate then my AK, but I can't be sure. Recoil was about the same I thought. It is more complex then an AK. I don't really see how the safety is retarded, I just don't like it because it's on the right side for me. It's ergonmically no better then an AK. I've never had issues with mine and didn't really find many issues doing a google search. About 2. I'd probably agree that the AK is a better rifle on the grounds of being less complex.

Edited by Ermac

These guys here sell them for around $900. Are these made by CZ, or is Czech Small Arms (CSA) another Czech arms manufacturing company?

No imported Vz58 is made by CZ (Ceska zbrojovka).

However, they are made in (the former) CZ (yes, it's quite confusing).

No imported Vz58 is made by CZ (Ceska zbrojovka).

So that includes those on the CZ-USA?

All imported Vz58 rifles are made by the same company in the Czech Republic.

They have been imported and sold by many importers and wholesalers - all with their own "marketing spin", but they're all the same gun.

• 4 weeks later...

The VZ-58 is my current favorite weapon and is the prize piece in my arsenal, so I'm a bit biased. I love this weapon. Lightweight, pleasant to shoot, and more accurate than I am, though that last is likely not saying much. It's reliable and sturdy. No, it doesn't take AK mags, but since it was designed primarily off of the STG44 with influences from other Western weapons, it must be considered a separate weapon, not an AK variant. Indeed, it was developed during a time when Czechoslovakia was trying to reassert its long armsmaking traditions and to establish its own identity as more than simply a Soviet puppet, so it's not surprising that Czechoslovakia decided to develop an assault rifle largely uninfluenced by the AK 47. The VZ 58 is currently the goto weapon for any combat or defense situation and is my favorite weapon to take to the range. I do plan on picking up a Saiga 12 in the near future and will give it a shot at becoming my new home defense weapon. Until that time, however, the small size, power, and comfort of the VZ-58 makes it my house clearing weapon of choice.

As for after market accessories, while there are fewer than the AK or AR style weapons, there are a surprising number available. The VZ-58 may be relatively new to US shores, it has been popular in Canada for a while now, and there are a surprising number of accessories for this weapon available.

All imported Vz58 rifles are made by the same company in the Czech Republic.

They have been imported and sold by many importers and wholesalers - all with their own "marketing spin", but they're all the same gun.

This is largely accurate, but doesn't tell the whole story. Yes, all VZ-58s are made in the same factory, but only from a legal point of view, just as lower receivers of other such rifles are, technically, rifles. Quality control, part selection (new or military surplus), and a number of other factors can vary wildly between different brands of VZ-58.

All-in-all, I tend to think of the Czechs as some of the best arms makers in the world and this is one of the weapons I hold up when I make that statement. If you have a chance to pick one up, I would suggest doing so, especially if you already have an AK style weapon in your collection.

I have both VZ-58s and AKs. I love both designs. However, if I had to choose just one, it would be the AK. Czechpoint is a good source for VZ-58s and parts for them. They offer more variations, and even arrange to pay your FFL the transfer fee for you. North Eastern Arms in Canada makes some good products for VZ-58s, as does Neit Designs (ambi safety, etc.).

Got both,and love both. I have a total of 13 AK's including the two Saiga 12's that I have and three VZ.58's. The vz.58 is an awesome weapon. It is superior to the AK in many ways. The furniture is ugly, but it can be replaced easily. Otherwise, it is better engineered and constructed compared to the AK's. It handles very nicely also. Get a real Czech made vz.58 and you won't be sorry.

• Like 1