Glock 21 SF or Glock 30 SF..?

So... I've really been missing my Glock 30 lately, (sold it last fall to fund a SGL21, which I don't regret). I've just started looking around and checking out the current crop of Glocks, and I've noticed a few variations. My hands're big enough that the G30's (full-size) grip wasn't a problem, but the newer SF, (slim frame), models sound even better. I've also noticed that pic rails are now offered on Glocks, (as well as the older tac rails).

Now I'm torn on whether to get another G30, (SF this time), or a G21 SF. Either way, I'd want factory night sights. So, who's fired both models side-by-side and could give me some feedback on how they compare, (besides general dimensions)? Anyone use a G21 as their CCW? If so, how comfortable/concealable is it really?

Thanks for your input.

I've also noticed that pic rails are now offered on Glocks, (as well as the older tac rails).

As far as I know, only the 21 has picatinny rails. Whether it's on only SF or standard models, or both, I don't know. But I've never seen them on any other Glock model (from the factory anyway).

I'm interested in the responses you get, because I'm in the market for a .45 Glock at some point, and I'm leaning toward the standard G30 at the moment.

Hello

I really like my ol' "dinosaur" Model 36 w/ night sights and a "GlockClip" installed.

No rail, but it's a very practical C/C .45 ACP piece. I think they can be had at reasonable prices.

Of course, you'd have to be willing to settle for 6+1.....

JMHO....

-guido

If your looking for DEEP concealment the Glock 36 is the only way to go, it's impossible to print with this bad lad (it's also the only single stack I own). The Glock 30 is a nice weapon if you purchase the mag extensions so that your pinky finger isn't hanging out there in the breeze. The Glock 21SF is a joy to shoot and if your considering it for a carry gun I would highly suggest cutting the grip down (leave it a little longer than the G30 grip). I don't really notice a difference in recoil between the 3 of them, for longer shots the G21 is going to be the ticket, but..... I havn't had any problem pushing the G30 just as far as my G21 and still being minute of man.

Don't know about the diff from 30 to 30SF, but I know some diff between the 21 and 21SF. Trigger reach is 3/16" closer, girth of middle finger area on grip is 1/16" less, butt of the pistol is 5/16" less in circumference and a few other changes.

Post-apoc If you can wait maybe hold out until they come out with a gen 4 version? They have interchangeable back straps, RTF frame, rail, ambi release, new recoil spring design etc...

Edited by raidersfan_5544

I can't even see the difference between the G30SF and standard G30 (in pictures, anyway).

P1010530.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010520.jpg

I can definitely tell the difference with the two models side-by-side like that. The SF's grip is noticably slimmer.

I figured it was just the angle of the picture.

I'm going to have to go into the pawnshop and handle them both (but there's no way in hell I'd buy it there, because it seems they think anything with a trigger that they sell is made of gold, with the prices they have :rolleyes: ).

I know you didn't sell your G30 for reasons of not liking it............but was there anything you didn't like about it?

...I know you didn't sell your G30 for reasons of not liking it............but was there anything you didn't like about it?

Nope.. maybe that the 10th round was a bitch to get into the mag, but I can't think of any other gripe, not even a minor one. The grip was pretty fat, but that wasn't really a problem for me. I wouldn't mind a slightly slimmer grip though, so I see no reason not to go with a SF model this time.

My G30 really suprised me with its accuracy, considering it has a barrel under 4". You also don't lose much muzzle velocity with the shorter barrel, since it's .45 ACP.

I still haven't decided between the G30 SF and G21 SF. I guess Glock is in the process of making "Gen 4" versions of its pistols, (as raidersfan mentioned). I'll have to do some research to see if it makes sense to wait for those before buying one.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

...I know you didn't sell your G30 for reasons of not liking it............but was there anything you didn't like about it?

Nope.. maybe that the 10th round was a bitch to get into the mag, but I can't think of any other gripe, not even a minor one. The grip was pretty fat, but that wasn't really a problem for me. I wouldn't mind a slightly slimmer grip though, so I see no reason not to go with a SF model this time.

My G30 really suprised me with its accuracy, considering it has a barrel under 4". You also don't lose much muzzle velocity with the shorter barrel, since it's .45 ACP.

I still haven't decided between the G30 SF and G21 SF. I guess Glock is in the process of making "Gen 4" versions of its pistols, (as raidersfan mentioned). I'll have to do some research to see if it makes sense to wait for those before buying one.

Thanks for the info.

I'm headed to the shop tomorrow to fondle both models (Gen 3's), and see how I like them.

I felt the differences between the G21 and the G21 SF, and the SF felt so off to me. I just get a much better grip on the thicker body.

Yeah, I think the difference in grip would benefit the G30, (short, fat 10-rnd .45 ACP double-stack mags), more than the G21, (full length mags for a longer grip).

I'm really leaning toward a G30 SF at this point. There's no hurry for this purchase though, since Glocks aren't generally considered "assault weapons". ;) I'd like to handle the pistols in question before making a decision.

I felt the differences between the G21 and the G21 SF, and the SF felt so off to me. I just get a much better grip on the thicker body.

Yeah, I think the difference in grip would benefit the G30, (short, fat 10-rnd .45 ACP double-stack mags), more than the G21, (full length mags for a longer grip).

I'm really leaning toward a G30 SF at this point. There's no hurry for this purchase though, since Glocks aren't generally considered "assault weapons". ;) I'd like to handle the pistols in question before making a decision.

There's another gunshow coming up next weekend that I'm gonna hit. Gonna be doing some more uncontrollable splurging :cryss:

But if any of these Glocks are there, I'm gonna give 'em another feel.