Tacoma Washington Saiga owner, A NEWB WHO ACTUALLY HAS READ

OK. I love forums, but I usually never give back. I'd like to change that. Unfortunately, right now I have nothing to offer this forum at this time. I have separated my AC joint severely so I figured I should spent my sitting around time reading about things I'd like to accomplish. I'll have a few questions I'd hope to have answered before the 21st because I'll have full access to my best friend, his brain, and his machine shop. Right now I am really wishing my meds so I could think more clearly about what to ask and how to word it.

I do not believe I have done a proper break in. I also had no Idea about the gas port selector. I have had few problems with my cycling. That said I almost totally neglected to use low brass because it didn't work so well. My gun is in the original sporter configuration. Tonight I inspected my gas ports to see how many I had. I found one. Frustration hit me before I could get to sleep so I took the gas block off. I have three ports and two are mostly covered. The carbon ring tells me this. I forgot to make a vertical and horizontal index, but I guess that isn't important. I am having difficulty remembering what parts I should get right away.

I think I want a poly choke because every bird I have shot took too many rounds to bring down.

I believe I want to get the aftermarket gas regulator which I'm not sure is the chaos one.

I want a telescoping butt stock, but do not want to chop on the receiver. My question is about the Tapco T6, does it have a recess for the..... uh.... I forget what the pointy end of the receiver is called. I cant tell for sure from all the pictures I look at.

Gas puck I really have no idea what to think because some people say it matters and some don't. I get the feeling it's only better because it's new.

When it comes to the pistol grip I know or at least think I want the Hogue brand. I really like the one on my .357 .44 and .40sw. I am curious if I should just get the AK style or AR-15. I shoot my M-4 a whole bunch at work so should I stick with that style since I'm used to it or does that matter. Also if i get the AR style will that reinforce my M-4 reaction and muscle memory or hurt it because I have different guns with the same angles?

Oh yeah.... This is the biggest thing I wanted to ask about. Who should I talk to about gun work here in the Tacoma/Seattle area in case I screw something up.

I have three gas ports and since I will have CNC machines, an engineer, and a sand blaster, what should I direct my attention to having done. I'll prolly only stick around the shop two or three days. I own a dremel tool, punches, ect. I like the sound of 4 gas ports, but I don't want to make my gun crush it's self. Once I finish the mod I'm sure I'll want to get a new finish. I do not know how I feel about using regular paint to touch up exposed metal, but I don't want to have a gun in pieces sitting around more than once or twice.

My least understanding is in the trigger group area. I've read about it very much. I'm very sorry about this but I don't get it. I like short and light pulls. I pay for smiths to fix this on my hunting rifles and my armorer at work take out the factory slop. Who should I give my money to.

I am interested in a left charging handle. I haven't found a thread with measurements on where to place this on the bolt and where to cut on the dust cover.

Mag release/drop Ideas?

What it the best way to fab a selector switch similar to the one on my M-4?

I'll stop after this because I'm imagine this is getting too long. How can we make the new LRBHO. If I could get a picture of one with a set of calipers holding it we could certainly use a computer to scale it to size and use it as a template. I do not want to fit mags. Also It is important to me that my mags go in easier. I could not believe how difficult it was to place in with the bolt closed.

So, all this being said I do not expect anyone to answer all or any of these. I would really like some advice since I will have the shop and my best friend available. I get surgery thurs or fri and I'll only have one arm for some time. If anyone is down to talk instead of spending an eon typing you could email me your phone number too. I don't think it would be wise for any of us to post or personal numbers on an open source. MrShankmmz@yahoo.com

Take Care all.

To answer some of your questions. Had surgery earlier this summer on my AC and rotor cup, so I feel for you man. Do the physical therapy after it's healed or surgery and you will see improvements.

Gas puck works, I installed the twister puck standard in mine and I do notice it running cleaner. I put the hand adjustable gas plug in Tac-47 makes one or MD Arms which is having a slae right now for $20 and free shipping. I like the hand adjustable one it makes it more like a FN FAL. Not too much out yet on the self regulatory one so I think I will wait. That is all for now and all I can give my two cents on. Enjoy and good luck.

I do not believe I have done a proper break in. I also had no Idea about the gas port selector. I have had few problems with my cycling. That said I almost totally neglected to use low brass because it didn't work so well. My gun is in the original sporter configuration. Tonight I inspected my gas ports to see how many I had. I found one. Frustration hit me before I could get to sleep so I took the gas block off. I have three ports and two are mostly covered. The carbon ring tells me this. I forgot to make a vertical and horizontal index, but I guess that isn't important. I am having difficulty remembering what parts I should get right away.

You are on the right track so far. When you do gas port work, make sure you test fire from a firm shoulder on gas setting two with at least 1 1/8oz walmart fenderal bulk pack for light loads. You should fire everything that will cycle on gas setting one on that gas setting, and anything lighter on gas setting two to avoid overgassing the gun.

I think I want a poly choke because every bird I have shot took too many rounds to bring down.

Poly choke set on full will probably end cycling issuesall by itself.

I believe I want to get the aftermarket gas regulator which I'm not sure is the chaos one.

You shouldnt need one once you get the gas issue worked out, if there is a gas issue. Its a combat shotgun and the Russians dont even have lower power loads like we have over here. Try the Poly Choke first. Like you said, you cant shoot much with a shotgun with no choke on it, except slugs and buckshot close in and expect a good pattern.

I want a telescoping butt stock, but do not want to chop on the receiver. My question is about the Tapco T6, does it have a recess for the..... uh.... I forget what the pointy end of the receiver is called. I cant tell for sure from all the pictures I look at.

That ear sticking off the end of the rear trunion in the receiver is called the "tang". Yes the TAPCO T6 doesnt require the gun to be cut to install.

Gas puck I really have no idea what to think because some people say it matters and some don't. I get the feeling it's only better because it's new.

This is an easy part to replace to get US compliance part, as it actually is counted as the gas piston on the shotgun, and the former AK gas piston on the saiga shotguns is now the operating rod. The factory puck is fine for most everything, but it will wear over many many rounds.

When it comes to the pistol grip I know or at least think I want the Hogue brand. I really like the one on my .357 .44 and .40sw. I am curious if I should just get the AK style or AR-15. I shoot my M-4 a whole bunch at work so should I stick with that style since I'm used to it or does that matter. Also if i get the AR style will that reinforce my M-4 reaction and muscle memory or hurt it because I have different guns with the same angles?

If you are a competitor, I would think you would want all your guns the same. I always preferred my shotguns with the regular monte carlo stock, due to the fact shotgunning most often requires offhand shooting more or less, and its what I know best for hand position and cheek/shoulder weld. You can always change your grips. If you like the hogues but want something a little different, look at a Mako.

Oh yeah.... This is the biggest thing I wanted to ask about. Who should I talk to about gun work here in the Tacoma/Seattle area in case I screw something up.

Dont screw it up. Its an AK. The main armorer's tool for an AK is a big hammer. Then a little hammer. Ten year old Hajis fix these in the field. You wont screw it up unless you go into the deep modifications and get in over your head.

I have three gas ports and since I will have CNC machines, an engineer, and a sand blaster, what should I direct my attention to having done. I'll prolly only stick around the shop two or three days. I own a dremel tool, punches, ect. I like the sound of 4 gas ports, but I don't want to make my gun crush it's self. Once I finish the mod I'm sure I'll want to get a new finish. I do not know how I feel about using regular paint to touch up exposed metal, but I don't want to have a gun in pieces sitting around more than once or twice.

My least understanding is in the trigger group area. I've read about it very much. I'm very sorry about this but I don't get it. I like short and light pulls. I pay for smiths to fix this on my hunting rifles and my armorer at work take out the factory slop. Who should I give my money to.

Shameless plug time. Give your money to us. See my signature.

I am interested in a left charging handle. I haven't found a thread with measurements on where to place this on the bolt and where to cut on the dust cover.

We do this modification as well, it requires machining, which you have available, but its gotta be done right for whatever parts you use.

Mag release/drop Ideas?

Make an extended lever? IF one just grabs the mag release with thier inner part of the thumb as they grab the throat of the mag, you can yank it right out, no problem without dumping the mag on the ground. Miight want to deburr the mag release lever first though.

What it the best way to fab a selector switch similar to the one on my M-4?

Its a pain in the ass to get it so that its smooth and easy. A few of the gunsmiths here have done them though. There is a patent floating around there somewhere, as well.

I'll stop after this because I'm imagine this is getting too long.

I thought you said you actually read the site first. This is short.

How can we make the new LRBHO. If I could get a picture of one with a set of calipers holding it we could certainly use a computer to scale it to size and use it as a template.

My company produces it. Before you take any measurements, make sure you understand it's patented, but really to think about is machining and bending tool steel and hardening it properly so it doesnt shatter in your gun or in your face.

I do not want to fit mags. Also It is important to me that my mags go in easier. I could not believe how difficult it was to place in with the bolt closed.

Polishing and profiling the underside of the bolt will help with this if you dont use a LRBHO. Dont take too much off, or you will fck your gun up royally. There are no replacement parts n the system, either really.

So, all this being said I do not expect anyone to answer all or any of these. I would really like some advice since I will have the shop and my best friend available. I get surgery thurs or fri and I'll only have one arm for some time. If anyone is down to talk instead of spending an eon typing you could email me your phone number too. I don't think it would be wise for any of us to post or personal numbers on an open source. MrShankmmz@yahoo.com

Take Care all.

see my replies in bold. that should get you started

• Like 3

In order to make the selector similar to your M-4 you would have to do a lot of fabrication, or else it would be backwards to what you are used to. For my selectors I put a tab on them (this one with some rivets) so that I can use my index finger on it. It's just more comfortable and natural to me to do it this way. Some people will cringe.

HPIM1326.jpg?t=1284572254

Also the left side charging handle would be nice, but it also leaves a gaping hole in the side of your gun right above your fire control group. Not my preference, so I just learn to use the original one. I think you should learn the platform as an AK and enjoy it for that. I would rather be reasonably proficient with any firearm than very proficient with just one.

Saiga is a line of firearms produced my Izhmash in Russia. Izhmash isn't going anywhere, it's the company where Kalashnikov designed the AK, and they still produce them for the Russian and other militaries. Anyone who ever tells you that prices are going to go up is trying to sell you something.

In order to make the selector similar to your M-4 you would have to do a lot of fabrication, or else it would be backwards to what you are used to. For my selectors I put a tab on them (this one with some rivets) so that I can use my index finger on it. It's just more comfortable and natural to me to do it this way. Some people will cringe.

Also the left side charging handle would be nice, but it also leaves a gaping hole in the side of your gun right above your fire control group. Not my preference, so I just learn to use the original one. I think you should learn the platform as an AK and enjoy it for that. I would rather be reasonably proficient with any firearm than very proficient with just one.

Left side charging handle is nice, but not necessary if you want to charge with your left hand. Just learn to rotate the gun with the charging handle straight up and charge with the heel of your left hand. This is made easier with the addition of the Tromix bolt on charging handle. Another alternative is the Galill style charging handle that you can charge the same way without rotating the gun, but any sight or scope may interfere with that.

Left side charging handle is nice, but not necessary if you want to charge with your left hand. Just learn to rotate the gun with the charging handle straight up and charge with the heel of your left hand. This is made easier with the addition of the Tromix bolt on charging handle. Another alternative is the Galill style charging handle that you can charge the same way without rotating the gun, but any sight or scope may interfere with that.

I use Tromix bolt-on handles on all my Saigas and I don't even feel the need to rotate the gun in order to charge with my left hand. I practice emergency reloads, where I change mags and charge the weapon with my left hand, while keeping the weapon on target. When I am shooting from a standing position, I reach under the receiver to charge it, when prone, I go over the receiver. It becomes very quick and natural with practice.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I use Tromix bolt-on handles on all my Saigas and I don't even feel the need to rotate the gun in order to charge with my left hand. I practice emergency reloads, where I change mags and charge the weapon with my left hand, while keeping the weapon on target. When I am shooting from a standing position, I reach under the receiver to charge it, when prone, I go over the receiver. It becomes very quick and natural with practice.

Good point. That seems to work for some people but not me. It always felt awkward with the mag right there in the way. Glad it works for you, though.:super: