How far down do you screw your gunfixer plug?

Installing mine today. Do you screw it all the way down then just back it up until the detent catches? I can bottom mine out but the detent's first "catch" is at #3 on the plug. Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Also, turn it counter clockwise for bird shot correct?

Thanks for any help.

Always test the loads you plan to shoot with the gun starting on setting 1 or -1(in the case of the gunfixer plug). If the weapon fails to cycle the next round or has a malfunction, increase the setting. As Bridis mentioned, the higher the #, the more gas is allowed to enter the gas block. You want to find out the particular setting for the load your shooting that will reliably cycle the ammunition, but wont over gas the gun and cause wear and tear.

And yes, screw the plug all the way down, and back out until you reach the desired setting.

Always test the loads you plan to shoot with the gun starting on setting 1 or -1(in the case of the gunfixer plug). If the weapon fails to cycle the next round or has a malfunction, increase the setting. As Bridis mentioned, the higher the #, the more gas is allowed to enter the gas block. You want to find out the particular setting for the load your shooting that will reliably cycle the ammunition, but wont over gas the gun and cause wear and tear.

And yes, screw the plug all the way down, and back out until you reach the desired setting.

So I should bottom it out then back it out to setting "1"? Even though setting "3" is the first to engage from the bottom out? Just a bit confused.

So I should bottom it out then back it out to setting "1"? Even though setting "3" is the first to engage from the bottom out? Just a bit confused.

Thats what I do. Screw it all the way in and start backing it out. Correct, the first setting should be 3 if you are using low brass. not to confuse you but mine works best just past the notch on 3. With the gas plug out, I eyeballed where the gas port on 3 would be best aligned with the gas ports inside the gas block and just a nut hair past the 3 notch was where I decided it should be, being it would FTE on the 3 notch the supplied me with. Let me know if you need more explaining due to I have the ablility to confuse the shit out of people including myself. And just because I put mine past the notch, doesn't mean you should. If 3notch works for you than great. Mine didnt so I adjusted it. Just some FYI

3= Low brass/bird shot

2= high brass

1= double ott buck/slugs

and as stated in the above posts and in your instructions you should have got with the plug, test each setting out.

Edited by AZG

So I bottomed the plug out. Now turning counter clockwise the first engagement is setting 3. Should I use this setting for low brass even though it is the first setting that came up?

So turning counter clockwise to setting 1 would be best for slugs/buck even though the plug has been backed out almost a full rotation?

So I bottomed the plug out. Now turning counter clockwise the first engagement is setting 3. Should I use this setting for low brass even though it is the first setting that came up?

So turning counter clockwise to setting 1 would be best for slugs/buck even though the plug has been backed out almost a full rotation?

:eek: Yes,

3= is used for low brass(The most gas is released)

2= is used for high brass(medium amout of gas)

-1&+1= is used for slugs/buckshot(little to no gas)

maybe try pulling the plug out completely and study the holes on the plug to get a better understanding. 3 has the biggest hole which means the most amount of gas will get through and low brass needs that gas to get through so it will cycle being that low brass doesnt have enough gas to cycle properly on setting 2 or -1/+1. High brass has enough power/gas discharged from the round that it will cycle properly on setting 2. Slugs and buck/double ot buck release so much power that the setting -1/+1 has a small hole to let little to no gas through, being its enough to cycle properly.

:D

Edited by AZG

:eek: Yes,

3= is used for low brass(The most gas is released)

2= is used for high brass(medium amout of gas)

-1&+1= is used for slugs/buckshot(little to no gas)

maybe try pulling the plug out completely and study the holes on the plug to get a better understanding. 3 has the biggest hole which means the most amount of gas will get through and low brass needs that gas to get through so it will cycle being that low brass doesnt have enough gas to cycle properly on setting 2 or -1/+1. High brass has enough power/gas discharged from the round that it will cycle properly on setting 2. Slugs and buck/double ot buck release so much power that the setting -1/+1 has a small hole to let little to no gas through, being its enough to cycle properly.

:D

I get the concept and understand the basic construction of the plug. I was just wondering how backing out the plug almost a full rotation to setting 1 played into the equation.

I get the concept and understand the basic construction of the plug. I was just wondering how backing out the plug almost a full rotation to setting 1 played into the equation.

Fully seat the plug and then back it out to your desired setting.

If the gun doesn't cycle on the setting (and you think it should)

then back out the plug 360 degrees (one full rotation) to the

same setting you had it on and try again.

The extra rotation back out of the gas chamber gives better

alignment of the plug vs. the gas ports on some guns.

Tony44

Are you seating the plug with the bolt locked back? I ask only because on my gun the plug will screw into, bottom out, on the #3 setting with the bolt pulled back but will bottom out on -1 with the bolt closed.

I think the consensus is to screw the plug in with the bolt closed.

-Michael

Tony44

Are you seating the plug with the bolt locked back? I ask only because on my gun the plug will screw into, bottom out, on the #3 setting with the bolt pulled back but will bottom out on -1 with the bolt closed.

I think the consensus is to screw the plug in with the bolt closed.

-Michael

Yes, I'm bottoming it out with the bolt closed.

this is the same thing my gun does, screwed all the way in and backing out it comes to 3 first but i keep going to setting 1 and go from there so another rotation to use setting 3. it seems to work that way. i could be doing it wrong though and i havent tried it by stopping on 3 and firing low brass so i dont know what that would do. now im gonna try though. i thought the instructions said to back it out to setting one regardless of which setting comes up first but i could have misunderstood or just didnt read them and decided this on my own!!

Edited by big-J