Argh! Darned FSB Won't Come Off!

So, before I was saying that I was going to take my S308 to to a local gunsmith in order to get my barrel threaded for brakes/flash hiders. Well, after delving deep into researching this topic, I decided to go ahead and do it myself using a threading kit rental from Dinzag.

Of course, the first step in threading the barrel is removing the FSB, which I attempted tonight at my friend's "shop". Knocking out the pins wasn't too hard, even though it did take some hard hammering and I ended up breaking the tip of one pin punch. Trying to get the darned FSB to move even a millimeter is another matter.

First of all, I did read Dinzag's directions. Unfortunately, I (and my buddy) don't have a press or any brass punches and neither do any of the local hardware stores (I called all that I could think of). So, we tried stuff like putting the barrel in a vise (using plywood as padding) and pounding the FSB with a polymer mallet, pounding it with a heavy hammer (putting another piece of plywood between FSB and the hammer), holding the rifle barrel down and pounding the FSB with a mallet, tried to pound on the FSB from a side (get it to rotate), putting the FSB in a vise and twisting the receiver/barrel, etc. Nothing worked! The darned thing didn't move a millimeter in any direction, even considering the fact that I have what some people have called freakish strength in my arms and hands!

So, where do I go from here? What are you guys' experience with this? I don't want to damage the barrel or the FSB too much (beyond having to spray-paint it over). Do I order a set of brass punches off the Internet, stick a 3/18" one up the FSB sleeve and use another punch to pound it off or what? Any input would be appreciated!

P.S. YWHIC: You got really lucky with your "Janis"!

So, before I was saying that I was going to take my S308 to to a local gunsmith in order to get my barrel threaded for brakes/flash hiders. Well, after delving deep into researching this topic, I decided to go ahead and do it myself using a threading kit rental from Dinzag.

Of course, the first step in threading the barrel is removing the FSB, which I attempted tonight at my friend's "shop". Knocking out the pins wasn't too hard, even though it did take some hard hammering and I ended up breaking the tip of one pin punch. Trying to get the darned FSB to move even a millimeter is another matter.

First of all, I did read Dinzag's directions. Unfortunately, I (and my buddy) don't have a press or any brass punches and neither do any of the local hardware stores (I called all that I could think of). So, we tried stuff like putting the barrel in a vise (using plywood as padding) and pounding the FSB with a polymer mallet, pounding it with a heavy hammer (putting another piece of plywood between FSB and the hammer), holding the rifle barrel down and pounding the FSB with a mallet, tried to pound on the FSB from a side (get it to rotate), putting the FSB in a vise and twisting the receiver/barrel, etc. Nothing worked! The darned thing didn't move a millimeter in any direction, even considering the fact that I have what some people have called freakish strength in my arms and hands!

So, where do I go from here? What are you guys' experience with this? I don't want to damage the barrel or the FSB too much (beyond having to spray-paint it over). Do I order a set of brass punches off the Internet, stick a 3/18" one up the FSB sleeve and use another punch to pound it off or what? Any input would be appreciated!

Well crap. Im getting ready to do the same thing. I hope it doesnt cause me this much trouble. I plan to take the pins out and put a 2x4 on the barrel aginst the FSB and give it hell. Hopefully it'll come off. Other than that I really wouldn't know what to do. I imagine when the holes were originally drilled it perhaps created a lip that the FSB is catching on. I could be wrong as I dont even have my 308 yet. But I would assume if you hit it hard enough it should knock it off. you might have already said you tried that. I donno. Best of luck to you and Ill be checking up to see how things turned out. maybe soak it in oil?

AZG

Well crap. Im getting ready to do the same thing. I hope it doesnt cause me this much trouble. I plan to take the pins out and put a 2x4 on the barrel aginst the FSB and give it hell. Hopefully it'll come off. Other than that I really wouldn't know what to do. I imagine when the holes were originally drilled it perhaps created a lip that the FSB is catching on. I could be wrong as I dont even have my 308 yet. But I would assume if you hit it hard enough it should knock it off. you might have already said you tried that. I donno. Best of luck to you and Ill be checking up to see how things turned out. maybe soak it in oil?

AZG

I remember reading one guy here say that he knocked the pins out like a couple of years ago and still doesn't have his FSB off. LOL! That's not encouraging. I hit it pretty damn hard, a number of times, but no steel on steel contact, because I don't want to cause too much damage. Maybe brass on steel will do the trick.

By the way, my rifle is a 2008 one.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I second the BLOCK of wood wrapped in towel/cloth.. I did have to TWIST mine to get it started if that helps anyone..

Try soaking it in WD40 also for a little bit.. put some in the PIN holes to seep in between the FSB and barrel.

I notice the finish near there is THICK so maybe thats also causing the sticking..

Maybe hitting it with a mini-propane torch a tad??

Mine is 3/31/09

Al

Edited by YWHIC

I wouldn't have taken that job on without a press. You know what they say about the right tool............

Harbor Freight has a decent press for around $100 if your a tool collecting kinda guy. You would be supprised what you would use a press for if you had one. Hell, if your buddy has a "shop" of any kind, it should have a press.

If you ever end up with a cheaper press like that, get everything in-line and bolted together, then weld it up. Really stiffens it up.

I wouldn't have taken that job on without a press. You know what they say about the right tool............

Harbor Freight has a decent press for around $100 if your a tool collecting kinda guy. You would be supprised what you would use a press for if you had one. Hell, if your buddy has a "shop" of any kind, it should have a press.

If you ever end up with a cheaper press like that, get everything in-line and bolted together, then weld it up. Really stiffens it up.

My buddy's "shop" is mostly for woodwork, but he just has a lot more tools than I do and a comfortable work area. The most advanced tool that I own is a dremel and I don't really have a good place to work. He has a vise, drill press, grinder, blow torch, table saw, etc.

Yesterday, I finally found some brass punches in town and picked up this 4 lb plastic hammer that filled with lead shot and supposed to deliver quite a blow. Dinzag advised to heat up the FSB with a blow torch too.

Wow! Looks I do have a Harbor Freight store in town! I'm gonna have to check it out today. Was this the press that you were talking about? My linkhttp://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a-frame-bench-shop-press-1666.html

Are you sure that the rifle is going to fit in there, in order for me to press off the FSB? I don't know anything about these things.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I took it to a local gunsmith, to see if he can get the FSB off for me. Well, after talking to him and gaining confidence in his knowledge and abilities, I decided to just let him do the whole thing. He will also do the kind of stuff that I simply can't do myself. He's going to:

-Remove the FSB

-Shorten the barrel by two inches

-Turn the barrel down

-Thread the barrel to standard 5/8x24

-11 degree target crown

-Do the necessary FSB mods and reinstall in

He's charging me $140, which is way bellow the $200 figure that people on this forum often site and I know that it's going to be done right. He also said that it will only take him one and a half week. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about this stuff any more - just relax and wait.

By the way, I decided to go with the PWS FSC30 brake/flash hider.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

Like my brother says:'The "Easy button" is located on the back of the pen, which you use to write out the check'

The threading mod without a lathe is like putting a large deck down using a Philips screw driver instead of a power driver. Sure its possible but its rather unpleasant.

Your gunsmith no doubt has a lathe and a press.

• Like 1

I took it to a local gunsmith, to see if he can get the FSB off for me. Well, after talking to him and gaining confidence in his knowledge and abilities, I decided to just let him do the whole thing. He will also do the kind of stuff that I simply can't do myself. He's going to:

-Remove the FSB

-Turn the barrel down

-11 degree target crown

He's charging me $140, which is way bellow the $200 figure that people on this forum often site and I know that it's going to be done right. He also said that it will only take him one and a half week. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about this stuff any more - just relax and wait.

By the way, I decided to go with the PWS FSC20 brake/flash hider.

sweet! thats totally worth it IMO. I just cut my FSB off. no more stress'n about it. came off in two minutes. I have a muzzle cutter on the way and am going to install a 74 FSB on it. and then put a 74 brake on it. I have one of the PWSFSC20 on my .223 and it direct so much of the blast back at you. Its really quite deffening. and its only for a 223. works great though.

-Remove the FSB

-Turn the barrel down

-11 degree target crown

sweet! thats totally worth it IMO. I just cut my FSB off. no more stress'n about it. came off in two minutes. I have a muzzle cutter on the way and am going to install a 74 FSB on it. and then put a 74 brake on it. I have one of the PWSFSC20 on my .223 and it direct so much of the blast back at you. Its really quite deffening. and its only for a 223. works great though.

Heh. Reading about your experience with an FSC20 is a little disconcerting, considering that I already ordered one. Oh well, if I don't like it, I can always sell it, I suppose. BTW, what's involved in installing a an AK74 FSB on an S308? Are you going to bore that thing out? Does it press on or what? Did you get it from K-Var? Thanks.

Like my brother says:'The "Easy button" is located on the back of the pen, which you use to write out the check'

The threading mod without a lathe is like putting a large deck down using a Philips screw driver instead of a power driver. Sure its possible but its rather unpleasant.

Your gunsmith no doubt has a lathe and a press.

+1 muzzle work is serious business and IMO should be left to the professionals or done with proper equipment. Although the easy button must have been broken for me because I had to hit it twice to get a brake on my .308 (local smith could not get the FSB off :lolol: ).

SpetznazGRU;

Please write up the FSC30 when you get the S308 back and try it out at the range.

I've really been looking hard at that and the PWS PRC. The video of shooting the PRC equipped FNAR is quite impressive.

Yeah. I'll definitely post my impressions.

-Remove the FSB

-Turn the barrel down

-11 degree target crown

Heh. Reading about your experience with an FSC20 is a little disconcerting, considering that I already ordered one. Oh well, if I don't like it, I can always sell it, I suppose. BTW, what's involved in installing a an AK74 FSB on an S308? Are you going to bore that thing out? Does it press on or what? Did you get it from K-Var? Thanks.

As for the FSC20/varients, I would just use ear plugs. Those work fine. I just noticed when I shoot my m4 with it, I can feel the pressure from the blast. My marine buddy went shooting with me and I told him he should use ear plugs and hes like naah, fired one round and changed his mind. But its a great piece. I bought it from VahallaTactical or something like that. As for the 74 FSB, I got it from Dinzag along with the tools. im renting it. I plan to take pictures of it when im done. Not sure if people care to see the process of it. But here it is so far. Its naked:

post-24335-097240400 1285946392_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I used a propane torch, an old oak table leg and a 3# hammer.

I was going to try the torch next. My buddy owns one. The gunsmith also said that he was going to heat it up in order to remove it.

After reading about heating it up, me not being a gunsmith, I would worry about heating it up too much and possibly warping the barrel. Heat and gun barrels make me nervous.

Naah you have to have them glowing red in daylight to totally trash them. You probably can't get it hot enough with propane to do much more then finish damage to it.

Edit: Just to add that if your trying to loosen a part like the FSB, you don't want to heat for very long. Temperature difference is what make it easy to remove, your making the FSB expand temporarily. If you just keep heating the barrel, it will start to expand with the FSB, and then will be just as tight as at room temp.

• Like 1

Naah you have to have them glowing red in daylight to totally trash them. You probably can't get it hot enough with propane to do much more then finish damage to it.

Righton, that's good to know! Thanks for the info!