Loading mag on closed bolt????

I tried my S12 out last weekend to break it in.

While doing so, I had a lot of difficulty putting a loaded mag into the gun on a closed bolt.

I didn't spead a lot of time really trying, as breakin was my main purpose.

I did manage to get it done a few times, but the vast majority of the time it was a no-go.

What is the deal with this?

Is it just not the way they work?

Are mods required?

The mags were the stock 5-rd, a SureFire 2-rd and an AGP 10-rd.

Also, the AGP locked the bolt back a few times. Are they designed to do this?

Thanks

The size & shape of the 12 gauge hull makes loading against the larger 12 gauge bolt difficult. The bolt can be shaped to ease it, but it'll never be like rocking a 7.62 into an AK.

Keep trying, and search on bolt shaping. A few people here offer it as a service.

The AGP should not lock the bolt back. That happens when the mag body is too wide or the mag follower has collapsed. There are lugs on the mag follower that ride up slots in the body. Too much clearance between the body & the follower and the follower will pop up past those slots and be stopped by the mag lips. When the follower sticks up this high it blocks the bolt.

Take a picture of the follower holding the bolt back and shoot an email to AGP. They will fix it or replace it for you.

Edited by hobbyshooter

While doing so, I had a lot of difficulty putting a loaded mag into the gun on a closed bolt.

I did manage to get it done a few times, but the vast majority of the time it was a no-go.

Are mods required?

Thanks

Its hard to load on a closed bolt, you need to practice. I just lock the bolt back. There is a bolt mod that can be done to help.

The agp should not hold the bolt back.

These guns sure are fun to shoot aren't they? :super:

If you want to be able to lock the front lug of any mag into the gun, then just rock it back into place with light pressure, and have it lock in solid (without a bunch of cussing and fussing and fumbling), send your bolt and carrier to me. I will fix that. I can do this with my S-12 all day long with zero problems. It is as easy as loading an AK rifle mag on a closed bolt if you use the same technique. This is true with any stick mags loaded to their intended capacity. With drums currently on the market, which were not designed with loading on a closed bolt in mind, you can down load them one round, and they will lock and load on the closed bolt as well. The mods I will do will also make the gun cycle way better than it does now. That's a promise and a fact.

Are mods required?

Thanks

Use hand tools. Just a small file and sandpaper (200, 400 and 600 grit).

Pull the mag out of your gun and snap the bolt home. Look in the mag well at the bolt. You want to shape and polish those surfaces. The inclined face of the bolt going from the carrier to the breech can be filed smoothly and consistently all the way up to the extractor. Polish well with the sandpaper. Don't be afraid to give it some muscle. You can't take too much off when doing by hand.

Just take your time. File a bit, polish. Check seating a mag. File a bit more, polish, etc.

After you take it down some and smooth and polish, clean it up and give it a spray on moly coat.

You're good to go. There is a sticky thread here with more details and pics.

You can also polish the rails of the carrier and receiver, along with the hammer face. Makes everything silky smooth.

Not sure what Cobra charges - but I bet its a deal!

My saiga 12 when I got it new back in 2004 was easy to rock and lock with fully loaded mags.

I guess some are just a pain. After shaping my bolt it's ridiculously easy, but getting a drum in still takes some effort on a closed bolt.