Ohio residents or someone familiar with Ohio state gun laws

Hey, me and my family are thinking about moving but if we do, we want to go out of state. A number of states came up but one in paticular was Ohio. Can anyone tell me how strick the guns laws are (compared to ny)?

Simply put, if you live in NY, the only time you will ever encounter more strict gun laws is if you go to CA, MA or DC :lolol:

Sadly I am not kidding :(

Ohio is a lot better, none of the bull like NY. Here's a quick overview of Ohio's laws:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/OHSL.pdf

Hope that helps!

Edited by Classy Kalashnikov

Simply put, if you live in NY, the only time you will ever encounter more strict gun laws is if you go to CA, MA or DC :lolol:

Ohio is a lot better, none of the bull like NY. Here's a quick overview of Ohio's laws:

Hope that helps!

Sweet deal! Thanks, that helped me out a ton... Are you familiar with Ohio? Any specific cities or towns i should stay away from?

Hope that helps!

Sweet deal! Thanks, that helped me out a ton... Are you familiar with Ohio? Any specific cities or towns i should stay away from?

Nope I am from NJ. I can tell you what towns/cities in NJ to stay away from: all of them! :lolol:

I live in the northern panhandle of WV and drive truck all over OH you want to stay out of the bigger cities Columbus, Cincinnati,Cleveland or Toledo the crime is getting worse there not better, any of the old steel towns like Youngstown or Canton/Akron jobs are hard it find also Dayton had DHL close one of there hubs there and layed off 10,000 people good luck finding work there. But southcentral and southeast OH is bomming if I was to move to OH that is where I would go. Don't count out WV it is gun friendly and there are a lot of jobs. They started to drill for natural gas in western PA and WV and cant get enuff people to drive trucks and work on the drilling rigs and in the support bussiness that are being created for it. Dont know what field of work you are in or I could help more.

Mcpny,

Stay away from the big cities, as they have the most restrictive gun laws and higher crime rates of course. However, Ohio is a CCW state so that helps alot. Also, There is no rifle hunting in Ohio, save maybe varmit. Big game is shotgun/pistol(lrg cal., long barrel) only(and archery of course). Check your counties out as well. I live in Butler and it's not bad here, but we are right next to Indiana. Seems the further west and/or the more rural the better off you are gun wise.

Whats your other criteria?

I lived in Ohio for the past 15 years and just moved back to PA. Ohio's laws are very good, and they have recently passed the 'Castle Doctrine' that states that you can use deadly force to protect your home if an intruder enters, PERIOD. You have the right to believe that the intruder is there to do inflict bodily harm regardless of whether or not they are armed. CCW permits are relatively easy to get, too. Look for a local class. The one that i took cost me $35, and the CCW permit was $50. Took me 3 weeks for the permit to come back.

All in all, Ohio is a great place to live, as long as you can find work.

Ohio is a pretty good place. I grew up on the north side of Cincinnati. As others mentioned, stay away from the big cities (though admittedly I don't know about Columbus). Cincinnati and Cleveland have some pretty ridiculous laws. But the suburbs of Cincinnati are fine.

Although truth be told I would rather live in central KY. I even went to college in OH but my wife is from central KY and I really, really like it. biggrin.gif

Finally, the gun laws are better in OH than in IN but not as good as KY.

They are much better than NY. The laws are like a good free state unless you are in one of the major cities. The only really weird law is that OH considers any firearm + magazine that can fire more than 30rds without reloading a machine gun regardless if it is SA. I have never heard of it being enforced though. It is probably more of an add on offence.

Edited by 690gr

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the info and advice... Seems like a pretty good place to move to... I mentioned moving to Kentucky to the fam and got the deer in the headlights look... I was also interested in North Carolina but it looks like alot of other new yorkers are thinkn the same thing...haha Just need a change of pace... I grew up a city kid then moved upstate with the family to get away from all the chaos... The rest of the city picked up on the whole moving north thing and now its pretty much the equivalent of living in the bronx...

There really has to be more reason to move than the firearms control laws. While I agree there are many states that are more appealing for that reason, I would not have relocated my family to save a bit on the cost of a concealed carry permit. Things like employment opportunities, climate, cost-of-living, taxes and real estate prices,school quality and a bunch of others would probably be examined a lot before I measured the distance to the nearest legal shooting area !

Moves are big deals. I have lived in several regions of the Country, including UpState NY (Oswego area) and have found that the semi-rural Midwest/South has more to offer and is a good compromise for the things that are important to my wife and I. That was the reason we left Southern California ten years ago when I retired. The fact that I can shoot Bambi from my back deck when he/she gets into my apple trees and berry patch is just a bonus ! AND Indiana (my new Home State) allows me to do in those deer anytime of year, as I filed a crop damage report with the DNR here when they ate about a third of my trees last year (I have 50+ trees on my 3 acre lot).

One of the more important reasons for our move East was the proximity of our Kids. Several of them and their families are reasonably close here. All have 'fled' California for a mellower life-style in this arwea. The winters are colder than SoCal for sure...but nothing like what I ran into in Oswego NY back in the 1970's. All in all we have made a good compromise.

So look at what is important to the overall lifestyle you have chosen and try to match it up with an area where the family will be happy. Ohio has a lot of great advantages, but so do many other areas in the USA !

OH Yeah, No Mag size-limits for hunting in Indiana 'cept for birds ! But slugs only, no Buckshot for deer. So the Saiga with a drum is legal in the field on a deer hunt !!!!