So how heavy is your rifle?????

My rifle is 8lbs unloaded, with a Vortex Strike Fire. I am looking for some weight comparisons as opposed to other rifles. My rifle is a Krebs Custom SLT that i added a folding recoil absorbing stock to. This is proving to be a heavy rifle. Im thinking of ditching the scope rail and going back to the original stock. It is beautiful but heavy. And i would say too heavy would be measured as too heavy to be carried on a normal patrol like a AR in Iraq.

Edited by SomethingEZ

My question is this, how heavy is your rifle and how heavy is to heavy??????? I have a rifle weighing 8lbs with optics. How does this compare with other rifles????? Thanks.

Unfortunately, you did not use enough question marks to assure me that you were asking a question. If you were not making a statement, please repost as a question with a greater number of question marks. Thank you.

Lug the rifle and a combat loadout (4 30s in the bag one in the rifle)around all day making sure to walk at least 5 miles though brush and then determine how heavy the rifle may be. They are heavy even with out scopes and rails and can openers or whatever is hanging off some of these rifles.

• Like 1

I figure.. 1 20 round mag in the rifle... 4-5 30's in a mole type 'vest'... maybe 1 spare 20 in a rear pocket..

Extra ammo stashed in my Jack Bauer 'bag'... :killer:

I figure my Saiga 762x39 rifle is under 8 lbs w/the Bushnell Red-Dot..

post-8775-097423100 1287017823_thumb.jpg

I know carrying my Saiga 308 w/21" bbl up a trail with 2 mags in a 'bag' was a PITA... :cryss:

Need some more exercise... or less strippers... :lolol:

I guess my rifle isnt that bad then. i was thinking it was a little to heavy for real world use. But i guess im not looking that bad. Thanks guys.

I think it is all subjective.. I am 6ft2 and weigh about 200lbs and I go to the gym pretty often... so carrying around a 9lb rifle is really not gonna kill me.. where as my girlfriend who is substantially smaller.. finds it difficult to lug around my Saiga.. there is no simple answer..

Mine weighs less than three pounds with optics, tach light and 30 rounds. When I pick it up. However, it defies the laws of physics and within five minutes it has gained several pounds, even as I shoot rounds. After ten minutes it weighs in at a heafty 12 pounds at least. If I carry it for an hour, it weighs 25 pounds, I swear.

Mine weighs less than three pounds with optics, tach light and 30 rounds. When I pick it up. However, it defies the laws of physics and within five minutes it has gained several pounds, even as I shoot rounds. After ten minutes it weighs in at a heafty 12 pounds at least. If I carry it for an hour, it weighs 25 pounds, I swear.

At last an explanation, I was wondering how that was happening.

Heavy is a subjective term, but with that said. I am pushing 60. If I wanted a heavy battle rifle, I would have a CETME, HK94, or M1A. For me, not being a mall commando or expecting zombie Cuban paratroopers to drop from the sky, my weapons are strictly home/farm defense against two legged goblins and four legged vermin. If it turns into TEOTWAWKI or SHTF scenario, I can gear up.

The last thing I need is a bunch of "tacticool" stuff bolted on and hanging on my weapon. A 7.5 pound AK with 5-6 pounds of crap bolted on is a toy. Serious war fighters have cause to add a few things, but generally mission dictated, not swiss army knife rifles. If you choose to have all the add ons, more power to you. Freedom of choice. I carried a weapon for a living every day for 25 years. I carry only what I need. The less complicated, the easier it is for muscle memory and training to take care of you. Don't need to screw with switches, dead batteries on optics, pressure pads, and rain and fog covered optics. Grab it, lock and load, present, look right down the top of the weapon, and react appropriately.

My CAR-15 is lightweight (5.7 lbs) with a pencil barrel, A1 upper, and Colt Fiberite 4 position stock, 20 round mag. My USGI M1 carbine is about the same weight, 15 round mag with two more in a stock pouch. My Saiga will be lean and clean. Not even a muzzle attachment. Iron sights, FSE triangle polymer stock, standard pistol grip, and a factory hand guard with vent holes and a heat shield fabricated in. In the weapon, I like the 10 rounder modified to 15 rounds. Very handy and light. I stick a 30 rounder in my back pocket or waistband. Eventually I will change out gas tube and add a retainer for an AK hand guard.

This is just my opinion, your mileage may vary. Flame on...

No flames should arise you just made the perfect case for simplicity. So far all Ive found that all I really want done is make the irons Americanized with aperture rear with either krebs or a dogleg and a better front post. It is a good rifle, great thing about 30 cal is it isnt shot placement limited as a 22.

Edited by Rhodes1968

My question is this, how heavy is your rifle and how heavy is to heavy??????? I have a rifle weighing 8lbs with optics. How does this compare with other rifles????? Thanks.

Unfortunately, you did not use enough question marks to assure me that you were asking a question. If you were not making a statement, please repost as a question with a greater number of question marks. Thank you.

lol :up: