Problem with my brand new S12

Hey guys, I'm new here. I bought a S12 yesterday at the local gun shop. I brought it out to the range today to see how it worked. I ran 3 mags through it with no problems, 2 3/4 inch #8, and rocked the fourth magazine in. I pulled back on the charging handle to let the bolt slam forward, and it wouldn't. I looked at the BHO, and it's stuck inside the receiver. Anyone have this problem, or know a quick fix? I can post up some pics, but they won't show much.

It's a common problem that is easily fixed. There are many threads about it here. Search for Spring leg and you'll find some advice.

remove mag, remove dust cover, remove safety lever, pull the BHO lever up rotating it on its axis pin, file or dremel a notch for the BHO spring to rest in at the return bend, slide the lever back into place, and pull the spring up with a dental pick or other small tool.

did you follow the above advice and search for the answer to your problem? not sure what you mean about the hammer not going back but for the BHO all you need to do is cut a notch in it where the spring sets or bend the spring leg so it will hold it better. there is plenty of info on this including videos you just have to look for em. remember google is your friend.

If the hammer is forward, it won't go back if the safety lever is up.

The spring has to straight legs. The leg facing the rear of the receiver is supposed to rest up on the bold hold open return bend. It will sometimes wander off. If you file or dremel a notch for that spring leg to rest in it won't wander off anymore.

When you say you broke it more, what exactly have you taken apart?

There is a good video on Carolina Shooters Supply website, video #4 is on the internals and reassembly. It isn't too hard just, just takes a little patience. Just hang in there and Good Luck, this is a fairly common problem. There are a bunch of how to video's on their website. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7EWIDhMGo&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited by Razorback

Use a dental pick to fish the spring leg up...

But first, notch the BHO so it doesn't fall off right after you place it back on.

BHOnotch2-1-1.jpg

Watch this video if you want to know a little more about the BHO instal....

However, keep in mind that this is for a converted FCG.

If you get really frustrated...

Ride the bus for stress relief.

I guess I don't understand the problem. If the bolt hold open (BHO) is locking the bolt back, how do you take the top cover off? The recoil spring is how should be say it? Really, really compressed.

Anyway, when my BHO locks up, I just pull the trigger. It releases.

NOPE, I was breaking them like that long before you came along...

Yes, it's hard to get the top cover off but it's do-able (as long as you aren't a girly-man...) I've done it plenty of times.

I just took the dremel to my safety lever to make my own BHO and I modified my BHO so that it won't get into the way...