Tax stamp no longer needed for a short barrel shotgun?

I saw this on another forum and would like some input from you guys

seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26974

you can own a a 14.5 inch shot gun or shorter with JUST an AOW stamp (that you can convert to a regular shotgun and back legally):

AOWchange_0001.jpg

ALSO! you can buy/build a short barrel shotgun with no stamp AT ALL ;) :

http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/testttt20001.pdf

have fun guys :)

Tax stamp no longer needed for a short barrel shotgun?

I saw this on another forum and would like some input from you guys

seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26974

you can own a a 14.5 inch shot gun or shorter with JUST an AOW stamp (that you can convert to a regular shotgun and back legally):

AOWchange_0001.jpg

ALSO! you can buy/build a short barrel shotgun with no stamp AT ALL ;) :

http://www.nfaoa.org...estttt20001.pdf

have fun guys :)

Im not exactly sure that thats what its stating. I hope it is cuz that would be super fkn awesome and I would have LoneStar start building me one right now. But sadly, things are never that easy. But I dont know anything about these topics, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will chime in and confirm so I can go get me one! :lolol: Thanks for posting. One small step for man at a time.

It's saying you can put a 20 inch barrel on a aow to make it a title one. Same go's for a sbr Ar that has a 16 inch barrel put on can be used for hunting. But some states have laws that say you can not hunt with Nfa items so it is iffy. I do know some aow have I stock but I don't know why or what guns it was. 99.9999 guns with a stock and short barrel are sbr

An SBR or SBS is intended to be fired from the shoulder, and must have an overall length of 26" or more, and a barrel length of 16" or 18" respectively. Because the weapon referenced is not intended to be fired from the shoulder, it is not a shotgun or rifle as defined by the law, and is subject only to the overall length requirement. This is the same logic that allows for semi-auto 1919 belt-fed guns with 14" barrels, without a tax stamp - they still meet the overall length requirement for a long gun. Yes, it is technically legal under those very specific circumstances, unless a state or local law forbids it. In Nebraska, for example, the law is written so that a shotgun with a barrel length under 18" or overall length less than 26" is illegal, unless duly registered with the federal government - so it would still be illegal here. Be careful. Even if such a thing is legal in your area, it's a very obscure part of the law and 99.9% of LEOs that get to the point of measuring your barrel length will have no idea that it's legit. Personally, the risk of harassment and a night in jail isn't worth one inch of barrel.

Im not a lawyer but i dont see anything in that first page, there has to be more to it. all it says is it defines an AOW and then paraphrases and restates the question posed to the ATF. I dont see anything in there about a decision on the legality of doing what the person is asking about. Nowhere does it say "yes the owner can add a 20" barrel and use it for hunting" just my .02

Pretty much same for the other one, I dont see anything that says you can make an SBS without a stamp. Not sure why they say it has a 17" barrel but is not an NFA gun. I still dont see anything of importance in either page. However I know absolutly NOTHING about this sort of thing, just going by what I got from it.

These letters illustrate really NOTHING. The first one is INCOMPLETE.

The second one shows a pistol stocked shot gun who's barrel isn't short enough to be classified as an AOW, because it isn't readily "Concealable on a person" because the overall length is greater than 26".

The over all length is JUST LONG enough to get away with NOT being on the AOW radar.

That doesn't mean you have CARTE BLANCHE to make any shotgun into an AOW WITHOUT THE TAX STAMP.

THIS SPECIFIC FIREARM is okay to be manufactured, under federal law. Local laws may vary.

• Like 1

Yeah, it pretty much says you can do anything you want so go for it. If you have any problems down the road just tell the judge that someone on this forum said it was OK. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input, Im glad you had some usable information on this topic :rolleyes:.. jackass

Edited by presto_z

Yeah, it pretty much says you can do anything you want so go for it. If you have any problems down the road just tell the judge that someone on this forum said it was OK. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the input, Im glad you had some usable information on this topic :rolleyes:.. jackass

If you are looking for usable information I would suggest contacting the BATF yourself with a specific question and have them answer you directly. On the other hand if you're just looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear based on a partial letter from the BATF to someone else, well, I'm glad to help out. Edited by DogMan

There is an awful lot of false info being thrown around in this thread.

Sorry Shand, but "An SBR or SBS is intended to be fired from the shoulder, and must have an overall length of 26" or more, and a barrel length of 16" or 18" respectively" is ridiculous!

Maybe you meant something different?

Edited by Dancing Bear

There is an awful lot of false info being thrown around in this thread.

Sorry Shand, but "An SBR or SBS is intended to be fired from the shoulder, and must have an overall length of 26" or more, and a barrel length of 16" or 18" respectively" is ridiculous!

Maybe you meant something different?

I sure as shit did, buddy! And no apology necessary. Mixed two separate thoughts into one. Won't edit the original, I deserve the flak for fucking up.

Meant a rifle or shotgun is intended to be fired from the shoulder, must have an OAL of 26" or more and barrel length of 16" or greater for a rifle, 18" or greater for a shotgun. Basically, if it isn't meant to be fired from the shoulder, it's not a shotgun or a rifle, short or otherwise. It might be an AOW, or it might not. If it's over 26" in OAL, the barrel length ceases to matter if it's not meant to be fired from the shoulder.

:cryss: I done made a stupid.

here is a link to the thread on AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/...=6&f=1&t=328129

here is jrzy's post

What this means is that if you buy an AOW smooth bore 12 ga and at some point you want to go to a title one weapon with an 18 or 20 inch barrel & put a stock on it it does not eliminate your AOW, you can do it legally in a specific order.

This is big news for gun owners who have AOW's or are buying them.

The AOW has to start life as a virgin receiver or pistol grip, the law from what I read never addressed what you can do after it is an AOW.

So we filed the request and got it done.

There are a few things to remember:

Never and I mean never install the full stock while that AOW barrel is on the gun.

To go to a title one non NFA weapon you remove the shorter NFA barrel.

You then remove the pistol grip

You then install the 18 or 20 inch barrel

You then install the full stock.

At this point you have in your hands a title one weapon and it is temporarily not in NFA configuration.

To go back to AOW you remove the full stock

You install the pistol grip

You install the AOW barrel

You now have back your AOW NFA weapon

We worked on this for a few months and we were lucky and we succeeded.

Here is the proof form the tech branch we took a lot of heat over saying this cannot be done.

The 14 1/2 inch letter is on the way

post-4527-0-26111300-1289699662_thumb.jpg

post-4527-0-03417200-1289699672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Banshee