So, My folks are thinking of moving back to my Pops's home state of Connecticut.

The thought crossed my mind to move too.

Changes excite me.

However, CCW seems to be a bitch out there.

In oregon all that one needs to qualify for CCW is no felonies, no misdemeanors within 4 years, all the federal firearms purchasing qualifications & that the applicant hasn't displayed a PATTERN of violence, or threats of violence. (means at least 2 instances)

Oregon is a shall-issue state & very strict on the SHALL part.

All the east coast states that seem to be "shall" issue allow for law enforcement "discretion", so what are the most gun friendly states around Connecticut?

Are there any? :unsure:

PA is very pro gun, with a uniform firearms act which established state control which basically says the right cannot be infringed, meaning that a municipality cannot make up their own bs laws infringing such as a park or something...OC without a permit except in philly(town of 'first class')...some counties ppl walk into the sheriffs office and out the same day with a license to carry firearms(concealed) which is pretty awesome IMO

Vermont is about as good as it gets...

Vermont looks good, but New Hampshire looks somewhat promising, primarily due to the close proximity to Boston, & Hartford (where they'd likely move to) doesn't seem too far...

I think I'd try to avoid Pennsylvania, being as I would hate to have to go through New york or Jersey to get to Boston.... Too much extremely hostile territory. Yeah, I know Mass is hostile too, but I have family in Boston & Conn.

Researching is kinda shocking being as I've lived in Oregon for so long...

In new england, whole states are less than 100 miles top to bottom. :eek:

That's just weird, when 100 miles just gets you across a few counties here.

I didn't realize it's so small over there.

• Like 1

Getting your pistol permit in CT isn't terribly difficult. You have to show proof of having taken the NRA Basic pistol course (or equivalent) and you have to pass a background check. If your background is clean enough to pass a NICS check, you should be fine. CT is an open carry state, although this has generated some controversy lately. If you wish, you can start the process of getting a CT permit before your move. Go to the CT Dept. of Public Safety and you will find the directions to apply for your non-resident permit. Actually, it's easier and cheaper for non-residents to get the permit than it is for residents because you bypass the local LE.

The main drawback to living in CT if you're a shooter is the stupid AWB we still have. You can't have a semi-auto with the "evil features" that used to be in the federal AWB.

PA is very pro gun, with a uniform firearms act which established state control which basically says the right cannot be infringed, meaning that a municipality cannot make up their own bs laws infringing such as a park or something...OC without a permit except in philly(town of 'first class')...some counties ppl walk into the sheriffs office and out the same day with a license to carry firearms(concealed) which is pretty awesome IMO

Vermont is about as good as it gets...

+1 last time I re-applied it was the busy time of the year for permits so it took almost 2 weeks to get. Otherwise its a few days in my county. Philly is a lot longer. The only time the Sheriffs get a say is if you're appling for a SBR, since they have to sign off on it. The current Bucks Co Sheriff has no problems, Montgomery Co. Sheriff is a bit picky with him its a 50/50 Philly Sheriff forget about it unless you know someone.

havent gotten mine but from what i understand its pretty easy here in CT. I ve got a few friends who have gotten theirs. Not as easy as some states but alot easier than a few. If you move to CT -DO NOT LIVE IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY, THE COST OF LIVING IS RIDICULOUS,ask me how I know.

edited to add a word

Edited by 86camaro

You should research New Hampshire's permit I believe it will get you a few other states, it might be worth it to get it even if you don't live there. I'm going to apply for one hopefully soon but it around $100 to apply (non-resident) and I have other ideas for that money right now.

Bullseyeboy-

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are all pro-gun states in the New England with shall-issue CCW.

ct is also shall issue so no worries there. just be careful with printing or having any part of your gun showing some of the cops around here are nazis

Edited by 86camaro
  • Like 1

May I be the first to welcome you to NH.

It is a shall-issue state, with open carry. I think the permit is 10 bucks. I believe you can carry concealed as long as the weapon isn't loaded (mag on one hip, gun on the other). There is no sales tax, (property is high though), and liqour stores are open on Sunday.

The downside is that the DES closed all the sand pits where you could shoot for free. I have to join a range now, which kind of sucks, but so does contaminated drinking water.

If you have any other questions send me a note. I've lived in NH all my life, and I don't ever plan on leaving. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Okay, here's the skinny on Connecticut and CCW.

Shall Issue yes, but it's at the local level where you can run into problems. Every town/city is different on how they implement the local level permit before you can get a state carry permit. There is the "default" form that all towns have, but some anti-gun towns get creative, and attach other forms to it.

Example of town process that is out of whack: In the town I live in, you need to go to the police department and pick up the forms. Like I said before there is the "default" form but on top of it they have an extra one for you to fill out and 3 other forms for references. These references all need to fill it out, get it notorized and send it in the mail from the post office to the PD ACROSS the street. After all this is said and done, and you have the proper training course and of course are legally allowed to own a firearm, the chief of police will decide if they like you or not.

Okay, say you get denied locally because somebody doesn't like you or they just don't like giving CCW's out (A LOT of towns just don't want to and will make it next to impossible), there is another option. You would need to go to the state board of appeals for CCW's (Pistol Permit in CT terms, permission slip in mine). They have the authority to overturn a town/city decision if there is nothing prohibiting you from owning a firearm.

That last paragraph is where the Shall Issue comes into play. I've heard of a bunch of people going that route due to the couple reasons I mentioned above (anti-gun towns, certain cop doesn't like you...). Just be careful if you need to go that route, some people will hold grudges forever.

I think I covered it all, I am not a lawyer but I have studied the firearm laws of this state thoroughly but feel free to ask any more questions. There are other laws that you have to be careful about too but thats another story (PM me if you do intend to move here, I'll tell you everything you need to know or start a thread on the subject of our awful (better than some...) laws).

Don't even ask about the no warrant LEO taking your firearms law... Only state to have that. Gotta love the constitution state!!