PDX 12 Gauge ammo on S12

Anyone have any info on it? I have heard the pistol round is a great round, and they have a shotgun round that is a slug with 3x 00 Buck pellets... seems like a good idea?

I just put 6 rounds in my Saiga 12 alternating between the PDX and Federal LE 00 Buck rounds... I would think that's a good combo

any comments about this setup?

should I just stick with 00 Buck, or is this slug/buck pellet round a better HD round? the shooting distance won't be more than 10 yards in my house, and the Federal flight control wad is very tight as well so...

I have seen couple vids, and at 10 yards, it does seem like it'll hit pretty tight

I'm honestly just having a problem as to what should be loaded in my shotgun... I can't decide what should be kept in there for about 10-20 yard distance. The federal hits TIGHT (although the times i've shot it, it's never been as tight as this video is)

Edited by taseal

Anyone have any info on it? I have heard the pistol round is a great round, and they have a shotgun round that is a slug with 3x 00 Buck pellets... seems like a good idea?

I just put 6 rounds in my Saiga 12 alternating between the PDX and Federal LE 00 Buck rounds... I would think that's a good combo

any comments about this setup?

should I just stick with 00 Buck, or is this slug/buck pellet round a better HD round? the shooting distance won't be more than 10 yards in my house, and the Federal flight control wad is very tight as well so...

I have seen couple vids, and at 10 yards, it does seem like it'll hit pretty tight

I'm honestly just having a problem as to what should be loaded in my shotgun... I can't decide what should be kept in there for about 10-20 yard distance. The federal hits TIGHT (although the times i've shot it, it's never been as tight as this video is)

My opinion is, that the subject is dead beyond repair or redemption. It looks to me like the loads are absolutely effective. What level of "dead" are you seeking to achieve?

Yeah pretty much anything that will cycle your shotgun will be a "dead at first shot dead" round at 10 yards or less. Hell even birdshot will. But its not recommended. id say pick a buckshot you like and stick with it. you should consider family members in other rooms b/c 00 buck will pass through walls. I believe they recommend #4 buck to reduce this possibility. If that reallly isnt an Issue or you dont have close neighbors do like i do put a slug on top and the rest buckshot. That way if the first shot doesnt fix the situation then just start slinging lead!!:killer:

Edited by big-J

I really like the PDX1. It is an effective load, having a slug and 3x 00 buck pellets, all copper plated, and very effective at home defense ranges.

However what I like best about it, is that it is made by a major manufacturer and marketed specifically for home defense, so I can't imagine an over-zealous prosecutor trying to make it like you used some "extra deadly rounds" as you are using a load purpose built for home defense, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 1

In reality, why the need for an expensive home defense load that you may or may not need to justify if the worst possible scenario takes place in your home. Most homes do not have hallways that are longer than 10 to 15 yards. Any birdshot (6, 7 1/2, 8) is perfectly acceptable and more than lethal at these ranges. Muscle density is muscle density no matter how you look at it. A heart shot on a pheasant, duck or goose is very close to the same depth as it is on a human, including the breast plate and rib cage. If birdshot is capable of bringing home the dinner at much farther distances than you would encounter in your home, then why the need for slugs/buck shot that may endanger the lives of others in your residence or ajoining residences with over penetration. I see the results of drive-bys using shotguns all of the time and they are just as dead with birdshot, I promise.

I use my shotgun at work all of the time (weekly if not daily in some cases) and would happily use birdshot over our mandated rounds any day of the week. Plus, as a civilian, if you were to ever have an over zealous prosecutor try and come after you, it is a pretty easy defense "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I was only using shells bought at the local Wal-Mart for $5 a box. I was not using the newest whiz-bang snot bubble making giant killing manstoppers out on the market!" Just my thoughts and experiences for you. :smoke:

Edited by GeorgiaPD

I think the PDX round is acceptable, but for the money I think I'll stick to 00buck or #1buck if i can find it. I would never use anything less than #1 buck on anything that wasn't born in an egg or in a hole in the ground. Where I live I have thick woodland around me and a dirt road frequented by poachers in vehicles, therefore penetration is important. If I have to take a shot with my family in the background Im not going to be taking the shot and I still wouldn't even if I loaded up with #4 shot, its just bad form, I hope you can see my reasoning here.

If I have to take a shot with my family in the background Im not going to be taking the shot and I still wouldn't even if I loaded up with #4 shot, its just bad form, I hope you can see my reasoning here.

Yep, I understand your reasoning here completely. Unfortunately, someone that has already entered your residence and made that bump in the night sound does not play by the same set of rules as a reasonable and responsible person. In my home, my child's room is on the other side of the residence, therefore it is an easy possibility for someone to get between us while inside. Birdshot (7 1/2) is just my prefered choice, but by no means the only choice for everyone.

• 2 months later...

I use the PDX .45 ACP and love it. Recovered bullets from water jugs expanded perfectly into the "flying ashtray" and didn't separate. The 12 gauge rounds look to be good. My friend has a Judge Magnum and I picked him up a box of the 3" .410 to try out. Has to be better than existing .410 rounds for that gun.

• 1 month later...

A slug and 3 big pellets? Isn't that what they call "buck and ball" in a muzzle-loader? Not exactly a new concept.

That load is unholy on anything living, but I wouldn't want it living in an apartment. The walls are too thin. Same reason I get those unholy-expensive safety slugs for the 9mm: I don't want to miss the bad guy in my place and have a shot enter my neighbor's. If I had a place of my own with no shared walls, dang right I'd have some of those!

At in-house distances (less than 10 feet), even birdshot is still in a solid mass and leaves what Medical Examiners call a 'rat-hole' wound, because it looks like a rat chewed it's way through someone's chest. Besides, anyone who's so high that they aren't out the door by the time Mr Remington (or Mr Saiga) clears his throat isn't going to be missed much anyway.

The hazards of the personal-defense ammo discussions...

I use my shotgun at work all of the time (weekly if not daily in some cases) and would happily use birdshot over our mandated rounds any day of the week. Plus, as a civilian, if you were to ever have an over zealous prosecutor try and come after you, it is a pretty easy defense "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I was only using shells bought at the local Wal-Mart for $5 a box. I was not using the newest whiz-bang snot bubble making giant killing manstoppers out on the market!" Just my thoughts and experiences for you. :smoke:

Winchester PDX is sold at Wal-Mart. FYI

• 1 month later...