What counts as barrel length?

As said the muzzle brake length only counts if it is permanently attached. To measure barrel length, the ATF closes the bolt on an empty chamber, inserts a rod down the barrel until it hits the bolt face and stops, and then marks and measures the rod to the vrey end of the attached brake.

Only if it is permanently attached. Silver solder counts, IIRC.

Yes, silver solder counts. Certain high temperature adhesives also count. I forget the exact temp it must be able to withstand, but normal epoxy and jb weld type stuff aren't enough. There are ceramic epoxies that will hold up to the temp, but I don't know how well they'd hold the brake on.

Silver solder is the way to go.

One of these days, when I get around to further investing in my Saiga, I'm going to get it cut down short and have a monster brake put on; maybe a few other goodies too.

I gotta read up on the NFA stuff some more .. I'm moving to an NFA-friendly state soon, and I've contemplated getting a SBS made out of my Saiga. But if I were to move to a non-NFA state farther down the road, I'm wondering if soldering on the brake for state law would screw up my tax stamp at all.. not that it really matters, since it is a cheap stamp.

As said the muzzle brake length only counts if it is permanently attached. To measure barrel length, the ATF closes the bolt on an empty chamber, inserts a rod down the barrel until it hits the bolt face and stops, and then marks and measures the rod to the vrey end of the attached brake.

Interesting. So, I guess it's actually chamber+barrel?

Remember that if you make it EXACTLY 18 inches then their measuring rod will magically grow by exactly one cunt hair, making your gun illegal, meaning you won't be seeing any real cunt hairs for a long long time. This means you have to give it just enough extra to make your bung hole feel safe from Bubba.:kiss:

• Like 1