couldn't buy .410 ammo in NJ

Was in NJ over the holidays, went into the sport shop to pick up some shells for my saiga; needed some #4's for our persistent raccoon problem and some more brenneke silver slugs. Had all my stuff picked out when the clerk remembered there was a new law that any ammo that can be used in a pistol now requires either a carry permit or some other NJ permit. Basically, because of the Judge, I couldn't buy 'em. I live in NY so I guess we can see what is coming on the horizon. Ridiculous!

Sounds like New Jersey has some "controls" over ammo as well, especially when it comes to buying ammo at "Brick & Mortar" locations (Stores). This NJ law enacted April 1, 2008:

"2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

b.No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor."

To get a "New Jersey - Firearms Purchaser Identification (FID) Card":

"You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway)."

You probably had some over-zealous counter help that may have not fully understood the law (or wanted to). It's kind of like arguing with the person at the DMV, they have what you want, and they get paid whether they give it to you or not. Under paragraph 1.a. above, .410 ammo is not "specifically designed to be used only in a handgun."

The lesson, "don't buy your ammo in NJ" or better yet "stay out of NJ". You should be able buy your ammo online with no problems, so far...

The way I fixed that is..I buy the 000bk that is "made for the judge", which says handgun on the package, online and then I dont have to worry about ignorant clerks. Same with 22LR. Some walmarts have a problem with selling ammo, as NJ does apparently, so I dont even bother with it. I'm in NY as well.

I guess I'm not surprised that the clerk didn't know the law. Maybe I will give them a call to let them know to do a little more training at the gun counter. I normally get ammo shipped to me in NY anyway. NY can't be that far behind, what with some lawmaker wasting $$ coming up with crap like this. Criminals will never have trouble getting ammo, only the regular guy gets pinched. Just noticed on my Cheaper Than Dirt catalog that they will no longer ship ammo to California...

• 2 months later...

California! Bah! But New York ain't much better! I hate it here!

Screw NJ, NY, Kookiefornia, MD and the rest of the anti-American government states. I owned property in MD and got rid of it.

Seriously, consider moving to a state that isn't big government/anti-freedom/anti-gun/anti-constitution, etc. Texas, Arizona, etc.

Yes, I will pack up everything I own and move just because I cant use more than 10rds in a magazine unless its a preban. Forget about needing a job, guns are clearly more important. :rolleyes:

Edited by Word
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...