I did a pair of Kreb's sights by painting it with white nail polish, then letting it dry. After that, I wiped the surface with a rigid cloth damp with nail polish remover. That left all the letters and lines filled in white and the surface not painted.

I'm not sure if that would be too harsh for the receiver though. Perhaps spray white spray paint into the cap, paint over, let it dry, and then wipe off the surface with a damp rigid cloth soaked in a more gentle solvent like WD40 that will take off spray paint but not that baked on Izhmash paint.

The most common method is to use Laquer-Stiks. Google it, as I can't link directly to a non-vendor website. You rub it into the markings you want to fill in, wipe the surface flush and let it dry / harden. Don't try and use any kind of water based paint, as it will probably rust your receiver under the paint.

p_517100001_1.jpg

Edited by KC913
  • Like 2

I did a pair of Kreb's sights by painting it with white nail polish, then letting it dry. After that, I wiped the surface with a rigid cloth damp with nail polish remover. That left all the letters and lines filled in white and the surface not painted.

I'm not sure if that would be too harsh for the receiver though. Perhaps spray white spray paint into the cap, paint over, let it dry, and then wipe off the surface with a damp rigid cloth soaked in a more gentle solvent like WD40 that will take off spray paint but not that baked on Izhmash paint.

Acetone will remove Izhmash paint. Don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 1

Crayons actually do work pretty well as a temporary solution. I read about it before but never actually did it. Tried crayons last night on my S12 while my girlfriend was cooking dinner and it doesn't look bad at all. Will be using Laquer Stiks once I decide which permanent finish to use on the receiver. Pretty much the same concept as crayons, as far as applying it goes. Rub it into markings and smooth the surface. :up:

I also filled the serial in white and other markings in red.

(click the pic or it looks shitty)

post-7122-0-68111000-1292509978_thumb.jpg

post-7122-0-56924300-1292510490_thumb.jpg

Edited by KC913

Testors enamel, done right, it almost paints itself.

Thoroughly clean & degrease the area.

Use a good thinner, thin the paint till it has the viscosity of milk.

Then using a micro-tip or very fine tip brush, pick up a drop of paint.

Touch the tip into the rollmark (lettering), it should flow right into it and keep going.

Repeat, touch tip into rollmark where paint stopped flowing, filling the rollmark completely.

There should be very little to no mess.

Let dry for a hour or two, then using a cleaning patch, use a little thinner to clean up.